🔧 BUILD PJ’s bad idea - notch edition

General Information

Figured I might as will document this train wreck. I bought this car a long time ago as an unfinished project and parted it out. Sold the caged shell to a buddy who needed a replacement. He ended up getting out of racing and it sat for a few years. Well he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse… so it’s back

Intentions are to fix some things I don’t like, finish some things and make it a nice complete roller. At that point I will see if I can sell it quick for a little profit, otherwise I have an LS and th400 to put in it for the spring

Some details:
- Certified 25.3 chromoly cage (good for 6.50 in the 1/4 at 3600#)
- fiberglass front clip, doors, trunk
- TeamZ front suspension
- Strange brakes

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

strtcar

Regular
Oct 28, 2007
Radiator mocked up under the trunk floor. Initial mounting idea won’t work as it’ll interfere with the AN bungs I need to install. So that sound’s like tomorrows problem

View attachment 194592
I could use those holders, I gave up after my gas tank fell on me 3x trying to install it myself over the weekend.

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Radiator mounted and converted to -16 AN with a -10 fill port for a reservoir in the trunk

IMG_5995.jpeg
IMG_6015.jpeg

Davies Craig water pump mount in the rear next to the radiator

IMG_6145.jpeg

Welded in some braces on the tube front end and made new k member braces to replace the ones I cut out when I moved the steering rack

IMG_6202.jpeg

IMG_6221.jpeg

Also plated the rear frame rails where they were notched for the full wheel tubs. Only did this cause the trailer hitch. Probably not needed with everything tied into the cage but OCD

IMG_6306.jpeg

Moved the driveshaft loop back a few inches. Think it was originally made for a powerglide. Also put a removable shifter mount on top

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_6325.jpeg

IMG_6342.jpeg

IMG_6343.jpeg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Think most of the welding is finally done. About ready to pull the motor and start rattle canning everything when Terminator-Fux Terminator-Fux comes over to play

Put all the seat belt tabs in for both sides. Had to add some tubes on the driver funny car cage cause the cross bar was too high above the shoulders. Then the passenger side I made a removable bar. Both will get bolt on seat back braces

IMG_6426.jpeg

IMG_6433.jpeg

IMG_6461.jpeg

Installed the window net tabs. Need to make a cardboard template tonight and get that ordered

IMG_6482.jpeg

Had an engine mount plate laser cut thanks to LS block CAD files available. Welded a clevis on for my fore aft limiter or whatever you want to call it. The chassis side is booger tacked on, waiting to pull the engine so I can actually access it

IMG_6468.jpeg

Then got the oil and trans coolers mounted thanks to some 3d printed jigs. Plates were laser cut. Still need to add one on the bottom but ran out of tubing

IMG_6470.jpeg

IMG_6475.jpeg

IMG_6481.jpeg

Thread Info