šŸ”§ BUILD PJā€™s bad idea - notch edition

General Information

Figured I might as will document this train wreck. I bought this car a long time ago as an unfinished project and parted it out. Sold the caged shell to a buddy who needed a replacement. He ended up getting out of racing and it sat for a few years. Well he made me an offer I couldnā€™t refuseā€¦ so itā€™s back

Intentions are to fix some things I donā€™t like, finish some things and make it a nice complete roller. At that point I will see if I can sell it quick for a little profit, otherwise I have an LS and th400 to put in it for the spring

Some details:
- Certified 25.3 chromoly cage (good for 6.50 in the 1/4 at 3600#)
- fiberglass front clip, doors, trunk
- TeamZ front suspension
- Strange brakes

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Your work always looks great but don't let it get to your head.

What clamp are you using between the pipe and TB? Race Parts Solutions?
Iā€™m happy with the work I just absolutely hate pie cuts and everyone that uses them šŸ˜‚

Yea theyā€™re used RPS clamps from the old wrecked gray car. I cut em off and cleaned up on the lathe and ordered new orings

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
I have tight 4 or 5 br .075 3dia 304ss 90s in my backyard still.

I think I've used all of em that I'm gonna on the TR, 442 and waGN

My truck I've got a crapload of 3.5dia 304 mandrel 90s
Thatā€™s 5ā€ stainless. Aluminum 5ā€ 1D bends are impossible to find right now so I had to make do

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Yeah not oiling down yer tires is deff desirable

It's amazing how often I see those super deep o2 bungs in spots other than the inside of bends....shouldn't hurt 5inch but it's a tree stump in the middle of a waterside for those of us with less girth.
No lathe at home to turn it down and Iā€™m off till Xmas so I just sent it. Iā€™m actively not being OCD and just putting shit together. Itā€™s weird for me lol

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
what are you doing for overflows

šŸ¤·šŸ¾ future me problem. Radiator is going under the trunk floor so I assume a tank in the trunk

Oil will go wherever I can fit something. Iā€™d like to hide in cowl but will probably take lazy route behind passenger shock tower

Trans Iā€™ll just bolt something to the case

Is the turbo a vnt unit and its controller works via drive delta for position? Or is this just for datalogging?

God no lol, this is some China knockoff Borg Warner Turbo. Just for datalogging

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Wastegate dumps made and mounted. Will get a black aluminum trim plate to fill the gap to the bumper

IMG_5448.jpeg

IMG_5451.jpeg

IMG_5459.jpeg

Got the radiator shroud all cut and bent up at my buddies shop. Just tacked it together and figured Iā€™d take a pic before I boogered all the welds

Dual 16ā€ ish Silverado fans. PWM capable. Will be controlled separately via ECU. If I did it over again I might consider doing a single 19ā€ Camaro fan so I only had to use 1 output from my peasant ECU

IMG_5465.jpeg

IMG_5466.jpeg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Started modifying the oil pan while I wait for some tabs and fittings to come in to mount the radiator

My steering rack is in front of the engine so I might as well take advantage and run a full sump oil pan to have as much capacity as possible. The only full sump pans out there are super deep (marine use I think) and Iā€™m too cheap to pay for a $1k custom one. So Iā€™m going to modify a corvette pan, the shallowest available.

This is for drag racing, not road racing so I am going to move the pickup back into the rear quarter. And cut windows in the baffles (green sharpie) to help feed it. I couldnā€™t figure out a way to cut those out nicely so I milled them through the bottom and will have to plug the holes I made

IMG_5512.jpeg

I also cut out 1/2 of the slots to feed the sump extension Iā€™ll be welding on the front

IMG_5537.jpeg

Made a short CNC program to make these slots in a straight line with a 1/2ā€ mill so I could easily fill them in with 1/2ā€ bar stock. Worked perfect

IMG_5566.jpeg

IMG_5567.jpeg

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
I would have loaned ya a t slot cutter
At least being new casting it should weld good.

Sump extensions like that fairly common?
Iā€™ve seen a few. However most people with budget LS shit donā€™t have stilleto steering racks and front suspension where you have full pan access lol

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Got the oil pan done. Tmrw I plan to start modifying the pickup tube to fit in the back section of the pan

Buddy made me a ORB bung that was extended so I could weld it from the inside. I was worried about welding the outside that close to the flange and warping it or something

IMG_5626.jpeg

IMG_5631.jpeg

IMG_5635.jpeg

Then leak tested the assembled fuel tank at 2 psi shop air and sprayed soapy water all over. Found a little leak from where I stop/started a weld and had a crater

IMG_5576.jpeg

Then made some mounts for it out of beefy extruded angle. Figure this is better than bending tabs. Will most likely put some rubber washers under them and drill the holes out 1 size. Donā€™t know if thatā€™ll actually help anything from cracking or not when the chassis flexes

IMG_5578.jpeg

IMG_5587.jpeg

Thread Info