NFL Official 2021 Chicago Bears Thread - Once again a Bust

GLADIATOR

Drink G Fuel
Donating Member
Reaction score
Omar Khan from the Steelers for GM and maybe he can lure Mike Tomlin to coach da bears?? I would be so “IN” for that!!

TS
TS
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The Bears GM/HC search reminds me of the kicker competition. Bring in everyone and see who wins. The Bears will probably have a couple dozen candidates before they are done.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
But you're missing the point. No matter who they chose, they're still hampered by the management above them.

You know, the guy who is just a fan like the rest of us and the guy who insulted Olin.

TS
TS
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd much rather they hire Polian or similar for the GM to report to. Surprised they don't since it would make Phillips and McCaskey's jobs easier and give them an extra level of insulation.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
But you're missing the point. No matter who they chose, they're still hampered by the management above them.

You know, the guy who is just a fan like the rest of us and the guy who insulted Olin.
He won’t reply to the obvious. Like I said, they could hire Donald Duck and Goofy and he would put a positive spin on it.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
I just did reply, Shawn. ???

It would make sense for McCaskey to hire a football guy as VP. He's REALLY stupid if he doesn't.

He’s not going to hire a VP and why would McCaskey need a layer of insulation?

They are business people who focus on profits. George and Ted have turned that Mom & Pop business into a multi-billion dollar success.

TS
TS
Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Imagine if the Bears win a SB. The team value goes through the roof. McCaskeys could sell then and clean up. Think some of the family would like that? From a business standpoint, hiring a football guy makes a hell of a lot of sense. Only ego will prevent that from happening.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
Imagine if the Bears win a SB. The team value goes through the roof. McCaskeys could sell then and clean up. Think some of the family would like that? From a business standpoint, hiring a football guy makes a hell of a lot of sense. Only ego will prevent that from happening.

It’s already a multi-billion dollar organization.

McCaskey stated in the press conference they are not hiring a VP of FB Operations, let alone a knowledgeable FB leader.

It’s over Johnny

Maro

Addict
Reaction score
It’s already a multi-billion dollar organization.

McCaskey stated in the press conference they are not hiring a VP of FB Operations, let alone a knowledgeable FB leader.

It’s over Johnny
The Bears GM role is in charge of all football operations

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Ownership here is a looot more hands off than other franchises. I'm not sure really what you expect?
Ownership here is more about lining their greedy fucking pockets vs putting a competitive team on the field on a consistent basis.
Am I wrong?

Maro

Addict
Reaction score
Ownership here is more about lining their greedy fucking pockets vs putting a competitive team on the field on a consistent basis.
Am I wrong?
Explain to me how a losing football team is more profitable than a winning one

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Explain to me how a losing football team is more profitable than a winning one
How about we start with selling out that shit hole of a stadium that we have pretty much every single game
Tickets, concessions, merch, parking etc.
Last 2-3 home games it looked like people got smart and said fuck the Bears and their owners by not showing up

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Ranked 7th in value out of what, 32 teams. Our losing sack of shit team is worth over 4 billion

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
The Bears are ~5 on the list of most valuable NFL franchises I think. Somewhere in that area anyway. They are worth just north of $4B. The top team, the Dallas Cowboy's are in the upper $6B range. They aren't hurting for cashing out. $4B? $6B. Deck chairs off the Titanic at that point in time...

And if your scenario were the case, they've had decades (since 1985) to achieve it and haven't.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Season ticket holders, Seat license agreements (for those season ticket holders), bears swag sales, TV rights, etc...

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
All that revenue stream exceeds their costs (even with those big contracts)? :D The $4B we talk about isn't just the revenue. It's also inclusive of assets, like Halas Hall and any other properties they own, Goodwill on the team and it's name, stuff like that.

We know they don't "pay" for their own stadium since Soldier Field is owned by the City of Chicago. So "rent" costs and other CAM like charges the city assesses) are probably minimal by comparison to other teams that own their own stadiums and are probably paying back their loans and TIF sourced funds to build them. I'm sure Halas Hall is either pretty well paid off, if not, those costs are amortized out forever.

To me their biggest costs would be;
- Salaries for all the behind the scenes people
- Contract salaries for players
- Travel related expenses for away games (I don't recall if they have their own fleet of planes to shuffle team members or if the time share it). Then expenses for the semi's of equipment that move about the country.
- Legal and other professional fees
- Property taxes on Halas Hall.

If they go through with Arlington, I would expect that they would be more burdened with the property/building side of things at first, but once done, that would become an asset and add to the $4B.

But I've never examined their financials, so...

Top Bottom