Making a change

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
Don't squat. Do inverts instead.

Basically get under the smit machine on your back and push the bar off, using your ankles to roll the locks. I have never been a fan of squats. But with inverts I can easily push 12 plates..

so wrong...squatting is one of the best exercises bar none. It works so many large muscle groups and all contribute to burning more calories and improving over all health/quality of life. This doesn't mean load 315 on the bar; still have to be smart.

I hope you're just kidding about "inverts". THere's so many other/better ways to train legs.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I feel like I get more out of squatting 135 than I do leg pressing all the plates, squat deadlift bench are in my opinion the best lifts you can do, just do them correctly and start with next to nothing for weight, I prefer to bike over run I have to do cardio though because I eat like a fat piece of shit, about to head out on a 20+ mile ride right now

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
Stronglifts-5x5.jpg

This is what I want to start doing. 2 different workouts, A and B.

Workout A:

5x5 Squats
5x5 Bench
5x5 Barbell Row

Workout B:
5x5 Squats
5x5 Overhead Press
1x5 Deadlift

All the weight is starting with just the bar, or minimal weight for the rows and deadlift. I don't care what I would look like (cut or bulky), I just want to feel stronger.

Have a doctor appointment Tuesday because I believe my knee is dislocated. Maybe I'm being dramatic, but it has never felt this way.

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
Got my MRI and x-ray results. Nothing abnormal found. This is the most frustrating thing ever. I'd almost rather they find an injury and fix it than to live with this pain.

Next step is to complete the 16 weeks of physical therapy that's recommended. I just hate how I have to go to a VA hospital to do this. Guess I shouldn't be complaining since it's free.

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
UPDATE

I'm still a fat piece of shit.

Joking, I have been going to physical therapy for a month now and just had my progress report. I've certainly gotten stronger in some areas, just need to work on other areas in my leg/knee. There is hardly any burning pain in my ankles when I run/fast walk any more. My focus is on that area and I'm throwing in some pushups. Pretty soon, I will be back in the gym and lifting again. We'll give it a little bit before I start running again, but the goal is to be able to do a 5k or some sort of tough mudder race

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Quit running, ride a bike!!!

I did the physical therapy down at the Joliet VA clinic, I need my knees replaced,
and they wanted me to strengthen them 1st to see if it relived the pain, it didn't. :(

I still can't praise the low carb deal enough.
I lost 45 pounds already, and have never been so full in my life.
I stuff myself every meal, and still lose weight easily.
If it wasn't for being gone so much and cheating, I would probably be down 60 lbs by now.

Good luck, keep plugging away!!!!!

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike

Quit running, ride a bike!!!

I did the physical therapy down at the Joliet VA clinic, I need my knees replaced,
and they wanted me to strengthen them 1st to see if it relived the pain, it didn't. :(

I still can't praise the low carb deal enough.
I lost 45 pounds already, and have never been so full in my life.
I stuff myself every meal, and still lose weight easily.
If it wasn't for being gone so much and cheating, I would probably be down 60 lbs by now.

Good luck, keep plugging away!!!!!

That's where I was going to go for PT, was the Joliet VA, but they threw me on the choice program. Now I go to ATI and love it. Just did the stairs at swallow cliff and did a light jog in the woods at the top. No pain in the ankles (for the first time in YEARS) but only a little in the knee.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

HMMM, they didn't offer me any choice, it was the VA or nothing.
It was too hard for me because they don't offer evenings.

I can't run at all, pushing the damn clutch on the semi's make my eyes water, so no way I could handle even a fast walk.
I have a slight limp because my left knee is much worse then my right.
I'm doing much better since losing 45 lbs, but not enough to jog.
Still have 12 lbs to hit my goal, and I go back to the VA on the 3rd to discuss if I should do surgery this winter???

I like riding my bike, zero pounding, much less pain, and you can take a break and coast.

I hated being a fat slob, but I was too damn lazy to do anything about it.
I ran into a buddy I haven't seen in awhile and saw how fat he was and that exact second I decided to get off my ass and do the Atkins.
Obviously it's a lot more boring than pizza, donuts, coconut cream pie etc.
I decided a few months of meat, cheese & celery every meal was worth it!!!!!!!!

Like I said, I stuff myself every meal, and with zero exercise, I've still lost 45 lbs in ~5-6 months.

Again, good luck!!!

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
Update:

Stopped feeling sorry for myself and got into a routine. Began by eating better (ie more vegetables and less fast food) and finally the weather was just good enough to put in a couple miles. Iā€™ve been running 3x a week and I go for a hike with an increasingly heavy backpack.

At my heaviest, I want to say I was around 235 lbs. Still havenā€™t weighed myself because I donā€™t want to be disappointed. I do see a change and that is more important.

Anyway, I busted out some old summer clothes and tried them on. A pair of shorts that was getting tight last year:
IMG_4052.JPG

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
Ran my first consecutive mile, on the road, for the first time in an embarrassingly long time tonight. Pushed on for another three miles but overall felt like I finished strong. Going to keep at it as I am and continue to push until I reach my short term goal of running a 5k.

Now if I can only get over my social anxiety and set foot in the weight room.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Ran my first consecutive mile, on the road, for the first time in an embarrassingly long time tonight. Pushed on for another three miles but overall felt like I finished strong. Going to keep at it as I am and continue to push until I reach my short term goal of running a 5k.

Get a membership that allows guests. Iā€™ll train you /with you.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

Fuck it dude. You've showered naked with other dudes when you went through boot camp. Or maybe that was only the Marines. :mamoru: If that wasn't enough to quell your social anxiety, I don't know what is. :rofl:

I've been going to the gym for two weeks now and all I do is lift there. Yeah, sure, dudes with tree trunks for arms are there, guys clearly stronger and more masculine than I, so fucking what. I pick up my weights (which I'm actually surprised at what I can lift) and do my thing while listening to my music, just like all the other guys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info