TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Receiving some favorable reviews.

Lost In Space Review: Netflix's Space Adventure is Worth the Journey

The Space Family Robinson
Irwin Allen’s somewhat cheesy 1960s sci-fi program gets a cinematic upgrade for the Netflix age with Lost In Space. Employing production design that would be right at home in the rebooted J.J. Abrams Star Trek franchise, Netflix’s Lost In Space takes the raw materials from the original show, and molds them into an episodic drama featuring surprisingly complex characters.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Episode 1 down. Tis excellent. Bill Mumy's cameo is well played.

Only thing I had a problem with is they made the same mistake NASA did.

The dialogue in the beginning has them saying "feet" but the display is in "meters".

5000 meters is way more than 5000ft. Other than that, no care.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Some spoilers.

Jeebus June, aka Dr Smith is one manipulative bitch. But she doesn't quite have the likability that Harris had. Harris was self serving, but never quite so malicious in his actions. He'd throw you to a bear to save his skin, no doubt.

I know thats the way they want to portray the new Dr Smith. But June is almost too all knowing. A bit Mary Sue in that she pokes and prods at the exact places needed and gets the exact results she wants. It feels a bit too easy for her. Her history that I've seen up to Ep 6 doesn't portray her as a master mind. She's been caught, and she's not a particularly good thief.

I gets my problem is that everything goes 100% right when she decides to dupe someone, and makes it feel too easy. And its not quite believable.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Well, being sick is good for something I guess.

I binged the entire 10 episode show.

Overall its got an extremely high production value. Just about everything is top notch and looks great and very real. Some of the CGI looked a bit off, most notably the way the grass and shrubs were pushed out of the way of the Rover thing when they were showing it driving from the front. All of the acting was top notch, nothing really felt forced, especially from the younger cast.

And now on to spoiler content.

Will Robinson is spot on. The kid is great. The actor did a good job. Though my memories tell me he's much closer to the 1998 Will Robinson than the Bill Mumy Will Robinson. Its also been more than 20 years since I've watched any episode of the original TV show.

Penny and Judy didn't seem to grow as much. I wish they had done more flash backs, but maybe they are hoping to expand in followup seasons.

The robot is cool, however, his robotic voice lacks any sort of humanity like the original voice after from the 60's TV show. Though they did more with human like gestures so maybe that was on purpose.

The Parents are the parents. Maureen is definitely in charge, though from John's marine training I expected him to react differently in some of the situations. Especially when Angela pulls the gun on the robot.

And then there is Dr Smith, aka June Harrison. The only nice thing I have to say is that she is named after Johnathan Harris, the man who originally played Dr Smith. June Harris feels like an irredeemable character. One would have long been better served by kicking her out the airlock. They didn't have her play any charm or charisma like the the original Smith, so everything she does just makes me want to kill her more.

I'm going to miss the larger cast though.

That said, I think its well worth a 2nd season.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The show keeps getting better. Episode 6 now. Good character development along with complex characters.

Without getting political, one problem I have with the show is the anti gun spin. With powerful weapons being available using the printers and dangerous creatures around, why are they building spears? It makes no sense.
What exploration mission would have its people ignoring the use of stronger weapons, especially when they are necessary?

Also, nobody asks why the perimeter fence was down? It's completely ignored.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I've been watching a episode at a time when I am able, think I'm at episode 7 or 8 currently. Loving it so far, wish they would divulge a little more about the robot. I mean who wouldn't be setting up a camp near it's spaceship to learn more about it?

Hopefully they explain why one of these things is not like the other one....

I am kind of wondering if this is just going to be the norm now. Interracial cast because why not. No explanation of why or who. Maybe they will get to it though.

This was all covered in about 10 seconds when Judy was patching up Don West, think it was episode 4 or 5. She said something along the lines that John came into the picture after her mom was pregnant with her.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info