Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
And season 2 comes to a close. Overall, it was a decent enough sophmore season but it wasn't without quite a few annoyances and flaws.

The Good -

This show definitely has some of the best casting in recent memory (with one exception, more on that later). I generally enjoy watching these folks interact, as there seems to be real chemistry between everyone. They make for a believable (if slightly more intelligent than most) family.

The special effects seem to be a step up from season 1, which were already great. I was never taken out of the experience because they cheaped out on CGI or because a set piece looked out of place.

The soundtrack, at times, seemed stripped right out of Star Wars. I'll always like when a show or movie tries to mimic those grand overtures.

The robot always commanded attention whenever it was on screen, as did the other robots introduced. The team behind the show continues to kill it when it comes to make sure it never seems cheap or childish. I also loved that the robot is now being treated as a main character, in that its being fleshed out like a human character would - new emotions, actions that have consequences, etc.

The OK -

The story this go around didnt really do much to move things forward. By the end of the season, its clear we're going to embark on a new adventure and hopefully learn more about both the robots ANd what happened to a certain believed dead character...but there was never a point where questions were answered.

There wasnt too much character development imo. There didnt NEED to be much more for the Robinsons, as much of that was done in the first season but it seemed like the writers were content to stop there. They tried to build the kids up a bit more by giving some more backstory but its all stuff we pretty much already put together on our own (we meaning the audience).

Dr. Smith is still WAY overpowered in terms of a "villain" but they did try and humanize her a bit more as well as give her (I'm sure for now) a fitting conclusion.

The Bad -

The entire season was one giant OH FUCK WE NEED TO FIX THIS after another. I get that things werent exactly great from the start but it was one humanity ending issue after another. Its ok for a show to slow down and allow the characters and the audience a breather. Build the world up some more...insert further backstory and character development (not just for the main folks, but the side characters too).

The JJ lens flares whenever you were inside a ship were brutally distracting. I don't understand why they needed so many but it consistently made the picture look dirty and unpolished.

Why do all space shows need to paint humans as giant pieces of shit? The crew was willing to basically kill 500 people because they decided ah fuck it, we dont need to figure out our water problem. They tortured the robots. It just seemed like everyone was there for themselves and fuck humanity or being a good person. That really annoyed me the back half of the season. The Robinsons were basically the moral compass for a bunch of leaders who gave zero fucks.

Parker Posey has no business acting. She is awful and while they did make Dr. Smith less horrible, there is no saving her character from Posey's god awful on screen presence.

Overall, it was still enjoyable as a whole and the finale was pretty great. The robot assault looked fantastic and the final scene definitely sets up an exciting season 3. I'll get it a 7/10.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info