TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
vq rev-up ? explain. i'm a noob.

i've driven an 06 6mt sport coupe , and an 04 6mt

The 06 had the rev-up engine, the 04 did not. It was a revised 298HP VQ35DE used between 05-07. It only came with the 6MTs on the 05-06 G sedan, 05-07 G coupe, and the 05-06 350Z. They call it a "rev-up" because it has a 7500 RPM rev limit. However, most of these engines suffer from severe oil consumption. There is a TSB with Nissan and recently Infiniti to begin replacing engines that burn a certain amount of oil. Alot of people were lucky enough to get new engines under warranty, but alot are still fighting. They blame poor piston rings and the internals arent as good as they should be to support the higher revs. The weird thing is there are people with over 100K on these engines and dont burn a drop of oil, so its hit or miss. Break-in period was a very important step most neglected on these cars.

that HR is one bad motor.

Its one bad-ass motor revision. Its what should have come with the 05-07 G35s and 05-06 350Zs. Only came with the 07-08 350Zs and 07-08 G35 Sedans.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
The 06 had the rev-up engine, the 04 did not. It was a revised 298HP VQ35DE used between 05-07. It only came with the 6MTs on the 05-06 G sedan, 05-07 G coupe, and the 05-06 350Z. They call it a "rev-up" because it has a 7500 RPM rev limit. However, most of these engines suffer from severe oil consumption. There is a TSB with Nissan and recently Infiniti to begin replacing engines that burn a certain amount of oil. Alot of people were lucky enough to get new engines under warranty, but alot are still fighting. They blame poor piston rings and the internals arent as good as they should be to support the higher revs. The weird thing is there are people with over 100K on these engines and dont burn a drop of oil, so its hit or miss. Break-in period was a very important step most neglected on these cars.

Its one bad-ass motor revision. Its what should have come with the 05-07 G35s and 05-06 350Zs. Only came with the 07-08 350Zs and 07-08 G35 Sedans.
Is yours a manual ?

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Is yours a manual ?

I seriously wanted a manual but after I researched these cars and learned about these problems I decided on the 5AT. Not to mention the 6MTs have their own share of problems from early syncro failures to stupid clutch issues. I figured it was not worth the trouble. I would hop on g35driver.com and do some reading.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
the manual was so nice.. i dont like automatics as much after driving a few manuals

the 6 speed is def nice and makes it more fun to drive. I would have bought an 05+ manual in a heartbeat but the oil consumption sucks. Again it seems like its hit or miss with certain Gs having those tranny problems. Just from reading posts on g35driver, the 5AT seems like it can stand up to a lot more abuse the than 6MT can.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
S00ls, how many times do you do this? This is about the 10th thread of "cars I'd like to get in a few years". I suggest taking the time and effort into making your current car driveable and resellable before worrying about years in the future when you'll have different tastes.
You just had to jump in with everyone else didn't ya? :rollpicard:

Spicy McHaggiz

The Gangs All Here!
Oct 6, 2007
Hampton, VA
You just had to jump in with everyone else didn't ya? :rollpicard:

Not jumping in with anyone, actually barely read the thread. I'm simply stating that about every month or two you make a thread very similar to this with a different car each time. And each time you state "in 2 to 3 years" however thats the future and the present is a vehicle that is giving you issues. Make the car you have now run until you can get another car and it will work out instead of worrying about the future.

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
id stay away from the 03s...at least from things ive read. i know the 03 Z's "supposedly" had trans issues...ive noticed nothing yet. ive heard the 03 Gs has some build quality issues tho. rattles, brakes wearing out quicker, etc. take it w/ a grain of salt tho. just things ive randomly read

I can second that brake thing. My friend has an 04 g35x and man the brakes wear out so fast! They get brake jobs done so often they don't drive the car unless its a special occasion of some sort.

Everyone knocks on the sedan, but dont realize the sedan is lighter, faster, and basically the same damn car, just 2 extra doors.

Funny you mentioned that, my friend that has the sedan and every time we race, we're dead even; I raced this kid with a 2 dr and I beat him by about a car lenght. I found it pretty weird but I just looked up the weight and the sedans are lighter! Makes sense now. People were saying that the kid in the 2 dr just can't drive but its a fucken auto! All you have to do is punch it and let the car do the rest! (Given that there's no wheel spin which there wasn't)

Sedan - Curb Weight: 3398 lbs.

Coupe - Curb Weight: 3435 lbs.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I can second that brake thing. My friend has an 04 g35x and man the brakes wear out so fast! They get brake jobs done so often they don't drive the car unless its a special occasion of some sort.

Funny you mentioned that, my friend that has the sedan and every time we race, we're dead even; I raced this kid with a 2 dr and I beat him by about a car lenght. I found it pretty weird but I just looked up the weight and the sedans are lighter! Makes sense now. People were saying that the kid in the 2 dr just can't drive but its a fucken auto! All you have to do is punch it and let the car do the rest! (Given that there's no wheel spin which there wasn't)

Sedan - Curb Weight: 3398 lbs.

Coupe - Curb Weight: 3435 lbs.

yep the lack of a B-pillar on the coupe requires heavy reinforced doors to meet federal safety standards. The RWD sedan since 2003 to this day, is lighter than the coupe. However, the G35X is heavier becuase of the transfer case and front differential.

Yeah the older 03-04 brakes performance wise were fine but they wore excessively and put out clouds of dust. In 2005 they improved them, actually over did the fronts. My rear brakes needed to be changed at 35K, fronts are still factory and have alot of pad left at 44K. 2005+ G35s saw alot of improvements for the better, only thing they got rid of were brembos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info