• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Let the 2013 build begin!

This is the previous setup but it is not only about volumetric flow but about flow velocity. To just take a port and make it larger, you rob yourself of flow velocity (see Bernoulli's equation). Can the L92 heads get there? Probably as with anything else, the right combination is the most important when it comes to power.

My car with L92 heads gained 13rwhp with the Yella Terra 1.85 rockers so I already had a 13rwhp head start on the 60-70rwhp gain people typically see with 230 @ .050" cam swaps (so the cam gains were more like 47-57rwhp). I'd say my heads were worth closer to 35-40rwhp over the stock L92 heads since Tony's FAST 102 porting typically adds 7-10. My L76 already had the FAST 102 on it before. I have not seen anybody's CNC L92 heads gain this kind of power over stock in a 6.0L. Remember, the 4.0" bore of our 6.0L engine shrouds the 2.16 intake valves and hurts their flow potential. A 6.2L with its bigger bore is happier with L92s but it's still not great.

The Mast Black Label heads have stellar flow numbers, but like so many high flowing L92 type heads, the hp numbers don't always live up to the flow numbers. More testing needs to be done on them before there can be a consensus on whether they're substantially better than L92 heads.

Highlighted in bold.

I am so happy, you can't even believe it. Ever since the L92 heads came out, a lot of people think that a cathedral port head can't keep up. I didn't believe it and neither did Tony Mamo from Airflow Research (AFR). I own a 2009 Pontiac G8 with a 6.0L L76 engine. With ARH 1 7/8" headers, FAST 102 intake, Yella Terra 1.85 rockers, ASP 25% UD pulley, and Vararam CAI, the G8 made 397rwhp/395rwtq. This was one of the higher dynoing bolt-on 6.0L G8s. Most 6.0L G8s make in the 420-440rwhp range with bolt ons and a 230/238 cam. The highest number I've seen for a 6.0L G8 automatic has been 470rwhp and this one had ported L92 heads.

Tony Mamo and I decided to go "old school" and take off the Gen IV L92 heads and install a set of AFRs brand new 230 V2 heads. We called this our "Back to the Future Project". I had these heads milled to 65cc chamber so they matched the cc volume of an LS2 head (11.0:1 SCR). Then Tony Mamo did one of his famous porting jobs on a cathedral port FAST 102 intake. We used a fairly mild 231/231 .617/.617" 114LSA +2 advance Comp LSL cam. The gains were staggering: 504rwhp/440rwtq. A gain of 107rwhp/45rwtq. Keep in mind, this is through a locked-up automatic. Most people think that there is little to be gained over L92 heads, but thanks to the huge flow numbers and high airspeed of the AFR 230 and the "mamofied" FAST 102, substantial gains can be had.

There is still more power to be gained with a 102mm throttle body and larger airbox as we were pulling 5-6 kPa vacuum at WOT. Stay tuned for more details on the "Back to the Future Project". There's another 10-15rwhp to be gained with reducing inlet restrictions.

Considering so many people consult him for cam spec's (including me), he has quite a bit of street credit to back up the claims that he has made.

Sorry to threadjack Dan but it was something I thought you may be interested if you didn't already know about it.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I combed that first topic trying to find that and for whatever reason I couldnt. :rofl: Very well but there are still factors that play into it. What size was that cam for 470 with L92s? How great of a port job? You can't take Mikey "Johnny Racer" Heyden's port job and compare it to AFR who have been doing it for however long. Or maybe it was AFR. My point is too many different factors but hey, if cathedral worked for him, great.

Yeah sorry about the jack. :rollpicard:

Wolfman

TCG Elite Member
Jul 6, 2010
Evans Mills, New York
cam arrived at FAST today! :noes:

need to decide whatever all other parts I'm going to pick up and start getting back into the garage. the TA can't keep sitting around... although the pull to the GT is strong! :rofl:

Here's the Q currently:

Head gaskets. Felpro PermaTorques? Cometics? 6.0L? LS9? So many options! Found some feedback, but wondered what yall had to say on the topic.

LS9 FTW

ls9 head gaskets seem to be the hot ticket right now. IIRC they are a 7 layer.

soooooooooo, tell me about your cam:pedobear:

:werd:

Everyone else thought so too, read through the link and you will see. Ported cathedral heads have a higher flow velocity than ported rectangular style heads.

stock for stock, the rectangle port heads are much better, but i do agree with you about ported ones.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Will,

What radiator did you use in your build?

I used the standard griffen rad that most guys use. It's model number is 25241 and here is a link.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-1-25241-X/

since I was running back and forth from speed inc I had them weld on a fitting for the steam vent line. Rad is working great with my pullers and temps hold decent enough. I've heard of guys getting the one with a little thicker core, but the dimensions are very much the same. My brother in law picked up a couple copper fittings and a valve for a drain. Came in real handy when I pulled the rad a week ago.

9e4ea8c8.jpg

489d95a0.jpg

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Here is a pic of Mad Mikey's Quick Radiator Drain Kit. Yours for the low price of $500 (or $25 worth of copper fittings at ace hardware :D)
bea676a6.jpg

The fans are flex-a-lite 420's. Here is a link(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-420/), we used some aluminum to bracket the two together and and keep it well shrouded. The only thing is that I had to cut the rad support a little further than most to get it to fit and still have room for the condenser. This also required me us to re bracket the hood latch and some of the headlight brackets, but if you can make it fit I think it's worth it over pushers.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Yep, thats what I need to do to mine. I put a nasty kink in the stock support by dragging her home on the end of a tow strap attached to the core support. :picard:

I have e-fans on the car now, setup as pushers on the stock radiator. Maybe they'll fit on this Griffin radiator... that'd rock. Will look into that.

Thanks Will! :h5:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info