Legit question - Does going to a chiropractor actually work?

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
The chiro profession is full of a LOT of snake-oil and upselling tactics. But, I know a few guys that go to Chiros 1-2 times a month and really like it...I think it has more to do with just stretching properly and not 'adjusting' this and 'aligning' that.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The chiro profession is full of a LOT of snake-oil and upselling tactics. But, I know a few guys that go to Chiros 1-2 times a month and really like it...I think it has more to do with just stretching properly and not 'adjusting' this and 'aligning' that.

If you have to see the chiro twice monthly for an indefinite period of time, is it really working???

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
A herniated disk is different than my issue though. Everyone is different and everyone's condition is different. You had a disk issue with the inner jelly of the disk. I have a back and hip alignment issue. 2 different problems entirely.

How else would I correct my issue without having it moved back into place?

I'm confused. Did the chiro fix you or claim he could? Two different things.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
If you have to see the chiro twice monthly for an indefinite period of time, is it really working???

Not in the sense that they're "treating" you. Like I said, I think most of it just has to do with patients being properly stretched(whereas they otherwise would never do it properly without intervention). So, they go a couple times a month, feel better afterwards, and assume they have some ailment that's truly being treated.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Ive been having some back issues for a month or so and while my primary care says I'm fine (mobility wise and feeling around, etc), I'm still having some issues with my back. I dunno if its the way I'm sleeping, my bed, how I sit at work, home, whatever.

My main question is this...does going to a chiropractor truly do anything? I've always been under the impression that you mostly end up spending a ton of money for very little....and I've also heard its effectiveness lies in the quality of the chiro and not the quality of chiro itself.

Side note, my primary did say that a lot of these aches and whatnot could be related to anxiety, something I most definitely have been battling on and off for a few months now. So it could be more psychological than reality, who knows.
If you're experiencing anxiety, it can cause your back muscles to tense up, which then pushes against some nerves and pinches against the spinal column. I used to experience that real bad. It'd be to the point where I couldn't move or my back would lock up.

I went to a chiro and he put me on a "table". Imagine one of those turturing devices where you're strapped in (upper and lower torso) and it stretches you out. This table stretches you out by millimeters. For a first timer, it's between 1-5 millimeters.

After I did that, my back hasn't hurt like that ever since. It's hard to find a chiro that still uses those tables. From my understanding, many don't because if you don't know what you're doing then it can paralyze you from the waist down. But the damn thing works.

My father in law sometimes goes to a chiro by Spring Hill Mall. He does a lot of adjustments and cracks everything. He'll feel where it's tensed up at, place you in some weird position for certain areas, and crack your bones. I'd like to try it as I hear it's awesome and you feel great. I think he charged my father in law $30/session (without going through insurance).

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Well, I have to say it is pretty interesting how many people know so much about Chiropractic, how to fix a back problem and what sort of advice to give.

First, I'm a practicing Chiropractor for 16 years. I've seen a lot of back pain come and go through the front door. In all honesty, one of the worst things you can do is take treatment advice over the internet, through a phone call or (even worse) through a text message...

...and YES!, I had someone come in who had gotten a text from a doctor telling them what to do...

Unfortunately, not every case is the same. I've had people come in with a complaint in the shoulder, another with a complaint in the neck and another with a complaint in the upper back. After I figure out what is going on, I've adjusted T1 on the right and the complaint went away. Conversely, I've had 3 people come in with lower neck pain. One person, the problem was in their shoulder, the second had a problem in their upper back, the last needed their upper neck adjusted. In other words, not every person or case is the same. Everyone needs to individually evaluated and treated.

Now, does Chiropractic work?

I might be biased, but I very rarely have someone come in that I can't help. In fact, I've adjusted dogs and watched them go from being a total gimp to walking almost 100% normal in one visit. Last I heard, a dog can't tell you a lie, because...well...they can't talk! So, as far as I'm concerned, all of those fucks out there who are like, "I don't believe in Chiropractic", can take out the word "Chiropractic" and substitute 'GRAVITY' and take a stroll off a cliff. I'm sure those same people satisfy 100% of every person they come in contact with. I'll also bet some of these people didn't follow through with the doctors advice...

/rant

I will say I do spend more time on people than most doctors. If you do go see a Chiropractor, find out how long the sessions are! If you are in and out in 5 minutes, go somewhere else. Those guy's are basically giving you a cookie cutter adjustment. If they could line up their patients on a conveyor belt and 'pop' them, they would. These are the Chiropractors most people go to because they are in their insurance plan, they constantly tell their patients how wonderful they are and how many people they have helped. I'm sure they have helped a few people. On the same token, I've thrown a few darts in my day have have gotten a bulls-eye once or twice.

I'm not saying they are bad people, but sometimes you get lucky and help someone who has a really big mouth. In my experience, the more talk you hear, the less work gets done

Some Chiropractors just plug you into the wall and that's all they do. Again, not my cup-o-tea. If that's what you want, there is already a profession out there who does all that rubby-dub type stuff. If you want to get ultrasound, have someone hook up a TEN's unit to you, IFC (or interferential Current), Electric (or Russian) Stim., or whatever...go see a Physical Therapist. Physical Therapy is NOT Chiropractic. Chiropractors adjust the spine and move bones.

We do NOT crush bones, as someone on here so eloquently put! If we did, a Chiropractors Malpractice Insurance would be pretty high. Mine is pretty reasonable. I pay less than $4,000 / yr. The P.T. next door to me pays well over $10K / yr. Here's the deal. When you hurt people, you get sued. When you get sued, yours and the rest of the profession's malpractice goes up. If you don't get sued, it wont go up....pretty simple economics!

My usual visit is 30 minutes long. That time, we are in the room and I'm either working, adjusting or stretching something out. You (meaning I) have to know what hurts, what helps it feel better and also what makes it feel worse. Those 3 things will give a good Chiropractor 85% - 90% of what they need to know and how to fix the problem. The other 10% to 15% is what you feel when your hands are on the patient.

SO...if you decide to go get checked out, here is what you should ask when you call:

1). How long is the initial visit?
2). How long are subsequent visits?
3). Does the doctor get adjusted?
4). Does the doctor adjust you?
5). Can I speak to the doctor or can he/she call me back so I can ask them other questions?

*** If the person on the other end of the phone says the Chiro doesn't get adjusted, then hang up! ***
*** The last thing you want to do is go to someone trying to sell you somehting that they wont do! ***

When you talk to the doc, tell them whats going on and ask a few questions about how they might go about figuring this out.

Then, ask them who they get adjusted by! THIS IS KEY! I put this in there because once you call around a little bit and ask this question, you're going to find a name that keeps coming up. When you hear one name over and over, that adjusts the Chiropractors, that is the guy YOU want to see! We think we know a lot, but you want to go tot he person who adjusts the people who adjust for a living!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info