Legit question - Does going to a chiropractor actually work?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I do not think it has anything to do with hating.

Going to the chiropractor is not addressing the issue, it's a bandaid fix for an underlying problem. Like I have said along with others, if he starts working out and put some focus on his core it will correct his back issues. Not only that, but it is way cheaper than a chiro and improves stress levels/self confidence/energy levels/etc......

Agreed. But what you may not know is there are several spinal issues that can be corrected with chiropractic therapy. There is no need for surgery in many cases. Root cause issues are many times pinched nerves or misaligned joints. There have been many cases where I wake up with a "crick in the neck", and they have been successfully worked out same day by a chiro appointment. And again chiro can also be very good for pain management. Stuff that your regular doc would just shoot you up with cortizone or some other drug. Thats not always necessary. But for the right conditions, it works. For Mike, maybe it will maybe not. But like I said, ask about the hardship waiver. And see another office if you need to. Not all will do that. It depends on how desparate they are for patients..really.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Yes it does. I am currently going now. I have an appointment later today. You should find one and see how the first appointment goes. They should take x rays and go over your spine alignment with you depending on your pain or type of discomfort.

In my case I do not have the "S" shape in my back that you should see when looking at the spine from the side. He is working to correct it back into place.

Also it's not a doctor that you can just go to twice and your better and I think that's where people get frustrated.

the topic of "fixing the spine" seems to fall under the quacker attenuation/subluxation to me.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/chiropractic-gimmickry/

IMHO anyone talking about subluxations is a quack spouting a pseudoscience crackpot theory that may "sound nice" but has little to no scientific support whatsoever.

quack or not if you get some type of adjustments maybe you feel better maybe you don't.

just don't buy into or pay too much for bullshit.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
If you continue to go like kj did you can see improvements and permanent results. If you have an alignment issue your body has been that way for some time. Going once is going to correct it for the moment, but the body needs to be retrained for correct posture. It will relapse back to how it was.

The current chiro I am seeing says it take normally about 12 weeks or so 2-3 times a week depending on the severity to correct and retrain the body. He's been working on realigning my hips as my right leg was .5 inches longer and by back needs the S curve back

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Since I work for one, whenever I have any issues (neck, back or headache) he always adjusts me and gives me stretches to do. There is a process to follow to get and maintain relief.

My Doctor I work for is a Chiropractor and Physical Therapist, so his treatment has both involved. He is also does sports medicine and is a tri-athlete.

When I had a pinched nerve in my neck with pain down to the elbow, I did exercises 4-5x a day for almost a month before it was completely gone.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I feel like I could write a novel on this topic.
First pretty much what everyone says is correct. It works for some issues and not for others.
Finding a good one is key to quality results.
Daily core excerise and stretching is more important for EVERYONE problems or not to keep a quality back
So just to keep things short I've found that the best way to go is to find a physical therapy place that is also a chiropractor. He/she will do a evaluation and X-rays to see what he could do for you. Then they usually come up with a plan for you which would consist of 2-3 days a week for about 6-8 weeks and then they reevaluate you to see if you're improving. The great part about it being a combo physical therapy and chiropractic office is most insurance will approve it and you not only get adjustments when you go, you also get a program for core workouts and stretches you can do at home to help.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
I feel like I could write a novel on this topic.
First pretty much what everyone says is correct. It works for some issues and not for others.
Finding a good one is key to quality results.
Daily core excerise and stretching is more important for EVERYONE problems or not to keep a quality back
So just to keep things short I've found that the best way to go is to find a physical therapy place that is also a chiropractor. He/she will do a evaluation and X-rays to see what he could do for you. Then they usually come up with a plan for you which would consist of 2-3 days a week for about 6-8 weeks and then they reevaluate you to see if you're improving. The great part about it being a combo physical therapy and chiropractic office is most insurance will approve it and you not only get adjustments when you go, you also get a program for core workouts and stretches you can do at home to help.

Also, you can bill massages as physical therapy, and, if you exhaust your chiropractor benefits, they can still treat you under therapy. :wink:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
If you think a guy pushing on the exterior of your body can correctly align your spine by a few mm you are absolutely nuts. Not a single study shows that chiropractors work. Modern chiropractors actually agree they can't realign you and that most of the benefit comes from the release of neurotransmitters. You can get the same benefit from a massage or Prozac.

Time heals wounds. If you think going to the chiropractor for 6 months fixed your back, it was more that your body had 6 months to fix itself.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Agreed. But what you may not know is there are several spinal issues that can be corrected with chiropractic therapy. There is no need for surgery in many cases. Root cause issues are many times pinched nerves or misaligned joints. There have been many cases where I wake up with a "crick in the neck", and they have been successfully worked out same day by a chiro appointment. And again chiro can also be very good for pain management. Stuff that your regular doc would just shoot you up with cortizone or some other drug. Thats not always necessary. But for the right conditions, it works. For Mike, maybe it will maybe not. But like I said, ask about the hardship waiver. And see another office if you need to. Not all will do that. It depends on how desparate they are for patients..really.

My stiff neck goes away in a day. Pay me $100 and I'll let you know how!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
honestly me going to the chiropractor helped me because i was getting stretched out in ways i can't stretch myself out personally alone.

it's not cuz he cracked my back or aligned me i dont think, the basically mandatory stretching is what really helped me.

[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] i remember you posted shit about getting walking shoes... did you? if so go for walks, even that will help to start. get active and move.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I think if your chiropractor is the kind of person that stresses exercises and stretching and not just a quick adjustment, they are more trustworthy than somebody who just wants to give you a quick snap of the neck and kick you out. My old chiro said "you've had years to screw your back up, it's gonna take months of excercise to strengthen your muscles to hold things in alignment". And that is pretty much the same thing [MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION] is saying, time heals the wounds. I would just add that a good chiropractor will show you the proper excercises to prevent further and future injuries.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
All I have is my experience with back pain and the chiropractor...

Had an issue with a spasm/cramp/strain in my mid-back, that I couldn't get to with normal exercise and stretching...went to a chiropractor 3 times a week, for 2 months...never felt better after any of the sessions...they used massage, stim, heat, cold, adjustments, even acupuncture...nothing worked...I went to my GP, he gave me a low grade muscle relaxer, and my issue was gone in 48 hours...I was soooo pissed...out multiple hundreds of dollars in co-pays/co-insurance, for basically nothing. Never again.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Hey my tire keeps losing air and I'm not sure why. I keep going to the gas station because they can inflate my tire (chiropractor) and my tire is good for a couple of weeks. Eventually it gets low again and I go back to the gas station.

I eventually figured out that my tire had a nail in it and that's why it was losing air. So I had the tire repaired (working out/stretching/better posture) and now I don't have to go to the gas station anymore.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
This helps back pain.

bigstock-Beautiful-Sporty-Woman-Doing-E-59834495.png

McKenzie method. do the press up throughout the day. As soon as I get some pain I start doing these and it goes away.

Developed by world-renowned expert physiotherapist Robin McKenzie in the 1950s, this well-researched, exercise based approach of assessment, diagnosis and treatment uses a comprehensive and clinically reasoned evaluation of patients without the use of expensive diagnostic imaging (e.g. x-rays and MRIs). The treatment principles of the McKenzie Method promote the body's potential to repair itself and do not involve the use of medication, heat, cold, ultrasound, needles, or surgery. McKenzie allows patients to learn the principles and empowers them to be in control of their own symptom management, which can reduce dependency on medical intervention.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Stretching is not something that comes easy. A lot of the time your are so inflexible or the pain is too much that you stop. You have to work through that and it gets way easier.

i stretch quite frequently actually...

i physically could not raise my right leg across my body though... it wasn't a pain issue, it was a physical mobility issue, my leg straight up wouldn't move. :rofl:

i like TCG does physical therapy/kinesiology/OT days. this is fun :rofl:

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
If you think a guy pushing on the exterior of your body can correctly align your spine by a few mm you are absolutely nuts. Not a single study shows that chiropractors work. Modern chiropractors actually agree they can't realign you and that most of the benefit comes from the release of neurotransmitters. You can get the same benefit from a massage or Prozac.

Time heals wounds. If you think going to the chiropractor for 6 months fixed your back, it was more that your body had 6 months to fix itself.

Honest question how do you know that having them put your spine back into place does not help? My right leg is slightly longer than my left due to my hip being out of place. He showed it to me on the Xray. Also you can see on the Xray by spine is almost straight up and down from the side instead of the S curve you should see.

He advised me we can do adjustments 2-3 times a week to put the spine back into place and the hips as well, along with stretching. I feel amazing every single time I go.

He said after a few weeks we will take another xray and evaluate how my progress is doing. How can you say what they do does not work? If it was some sort of total sham I doubt it would be a medical profession still that so many people turn to instead of surgeries.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
That's like saying you can diagnose yourself with WebMD. Of course you can look at that stuff but having somebody trained to correct your form is always a good idea

I COMPLETELY disagree.

It is not rocket science on proper form and technique. Watch videos, read about proper body position (shoulders pinning back, chin up, etc....) You either take the time to do it properly and put in the effort or you don't.

Everybody wants a cheap fix.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info