Legit question - Does going to a chiropractor actually work?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
i stretch quite frequently actually...

i physically could not raise my right leg across my body though... it wasn't a pain issue, it was a physical mobility issue, my leg straight up wouldn't move. :rofl:

i like TCG does physical therapy/kinesiology/OT days. this is fun :rofl:

There are just certain stretches you will not be able to do, believe me I know. I have longer legs and a short torso with T-Rex arms. There are many ways to skin a cat, you just need to figure out what works best for your body type.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
I COMPLETELY disagree.

It is not rocket science on proper form and technique. Watch videos, read about proper body position (shoulders pinning back, chin up, etc....) You either take the time to do it properly and put in the effort or you don't.

Everybody wants a cheap fix.

you just contradicted yourself. isn't a cheap fix going online and not seeing a doctor?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Honest question how do you know that having them put your spine back into place does not help? My right leg is slightly longer than my left due to my hip being out of place. He showed it to me on the Xray. Also you can see on the Xray by spine is almost straight up and down from the side instead of the S curve you should see.

He advised me we can do adjustments 2-3 times a week to put the spine back into place and the hips as well, along with stretching. I feel amazing every single time I go.

He said after a few weeks we will take another xray and evaluate how my progress is doing. How can you say what they do does not work? If it was some sort of total sham I doubt it would be a medical profession still that so many people turn to instead of surgeries.

Because I rely on clinical studies published in reputable journals, not anecdotal evidence.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
I had trouble sleeping and would always wake up with right shoulder pain, sometimes to the point of being numb, plus slight chronic lower back pain. (Injury when I was 16)

Went to the chiro to see what was up. I have had several friends swear by it. Of course he did the prelim shit, xrays, measurements, grip strengths etc.

After about 2 solid months of adjustments, the pain subsided in the shoulder. I am to the point where I only have to go every 2-3 months for a minor adjustment for the lower back.

In my opinion, money well spent.

I paid out of pocket, but some insurances do cover Chrio bills

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Also you can see on the Xray by spine is almost straight up and down from the side instead of the S curve you should see.

how is this in and of itself a problem?

How can you say what they do does not work? If it was some sort of total sham I doubt it would be a medical profession still that so many people turn to instead of surgeries.

it can be placebo or people getting better on their own that they attribute to their chiropractic sessions. or maybe they did something legit.

the subluxation stuff is bullshit.
a lot of them talk about and preach it. there is no science that supports it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertebral_subluxation#Critiques

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
you just contradicted yourself. isn't a cheap fix going online and not seeing a doctor?

No I'm not actually. The cheap fix is paying money to someone to make an adjustment rather than do the hard work yourself to exercise, stretch, correct your posture.

Results don't happen overnight. When I use the term cheap, I'm not talking about money, it's a saying.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Because I rely on clinical studies published in reputable journals, not anecdotal evidence.

So my only other option is surgery?? I refuse to accept that when I have an alignment issue only currently. With stretching, proper posture now, as well as their regular adjustments in the beginning I do not believe it can hurt. I feel amazing every single time I go.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
No I'm not actually. The cheap fix is paying money someone to make an adjustment rather than do the hard work yourself to exercise, stretch, correct your posture.

Results don't happen overnight. When I use the term cheap, I'm not talking about money, it's a saying.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Also that is a good idea to get guidance from somebody to tell you what excercises to do for your particular situation

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'm not sure here, but it appears that all the guys who believe in Chiro have had actual BAD back issues - where all the guys that don't, seem to have experienced some possible discomfort or maybe just have an opinion on the topic.

As a guy who was out of work for a month because I couldn't stand, on every med there is to address this sort of issue, having seen PT, multiple doctors, massage clinics of every kind... chiro's have their place in an overall treatment plan.

Temporary relief of pain which is immobilizing is good enough to allow you to do the hard work of working out and staying in shape (which is also certainly critical to maintaining a healthy back).

So my $.02 - the only people wrong here are the ones claiming chiros don't do anything. Because they certainly do in my experience - and I actually have back injury and experience managing it for over a decade.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I'm a big believer of mind over matter.

As am I however he showed me the x rays. Me doing nothing has caused slight calcium build up and the reduction in my disks. Basically the body compensating for the misaligned spine and making extra bone mass over time.

At the end of the day I can sit up straight and do stretches etc, but what is going to realign my hips? What is going to bring my legs back to equal length? What is going to put a curve back into my spine.

By doing little to nothing my condition has actually worsened since the last time I was at a chiropractor in 2012

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
A herniated disk is different than my issue though. Everyone is different and everyone's condition is different. You had a disk issue with the inner jelly of the disk. I have a back and hip alignment issue. 2 different problems entirely.

How else would I correct my issue without having it moved back into place?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info