šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Here's my one meal today. Delicious! Thanks Sam the Cooking Guy for the idea. It's a great Keto meal.

j1UnLT3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: strtcar

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I made a Keto pizza today using almond flour. The almond flour has a slight grainy texture and isn't as tasty as regular dough but it was good. I'll make it again. I loaded it up with Rao sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, pepperoni, sausage, bacon and two kinds of mozzarella. Seasoned it with fresh basil and Italian seasoning. I should have cooked it a couple minutes more but I was afraid of burning it.

rXxdTaL.jpg

Here's a cutie with the crust recipe.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i will try almond pancakes once home, looking to try an alternative flour to my current white flour. have never touched it before.

i use coconut in my brownie, although it can be a little dry. tried adding some yogurt today but same (just bigger) - maybe less baking soda?

won't try pizzas until back home. curious what you think of almond based vs. something else like cauliflower base.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
200! 25 lbs. lost so far. 15 to go.

I tried some coconut flour french fries. Didn't really taste like french fries. I'm still experimenting with almond and coconut flours. Haven't done much with cauliflower other than the mashed potatoes.

what was the recipe? never heard of this before and saw a mix of coconut and google in almond and claims it was 'just like potato fries' which always seems like bullshit, actually when i posted about food and i think rutabaga fries pages ago i mentioned this and was curious if the rutabaga is even a remotely decent substitute. for one dish i make, i'd like to just halve the taters if the bagas be banging.

i'm still experimenting with coconut flour brownies, a keto friend constantly baking here says she never uses it as things always turn out dry. fyi my flour list to play with in brownies/pancakes:

sgA7YZ6.png

i really want to try out almond flour pancakes, and coffee flour brownies. carbquik/carbalose seem interesting as well as they are much lower calorie. i couldn't find any glycemic index data but per some youtube videos they didn't seem to throw people out of ketosis or spike their blood much.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I haven't posted in a few days. Plateaued at 200 for about a week and now am losing again. 198 lbs. today.

I made some Keto bread over the weekend. It's the "keto soul bread" recipe on youtube. It's not bad. It sort of tastes like bread. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Interestingly, even without carbs it still spiked my blood sugar. I guess there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

jgr4rF0.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
One thing I have noticed is a lot of time I feel like eating it's just out of boredom or custom rather than out of an actual need to eat. It's lunchtime so I must have lunch, etc. Even after I finish the Keto weight loss portion of this diet, I doubt I will ever be going back to 3 meals a day. Even with snacks, I will probably have one or two bites of something rather than a plate full. I think people need to make the lifestyle change if they want the weight loss to stick. Otherwise, the weight will, most likely, come back as bodies re-adjust to higher food intake.

Reactions: strtcar and Maro

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
this is why you shouldn't look at keto as a temporary diet. either change to it as a lifestyle thing or change to some other sustainable food model.

i made sure i was fat enough to enter america by eating a lot my last 2 days in thailand and eating a **fuckton** on the way home in lounges and flights. at my parents house for the moment and trying to eat healthy, easy to not though with my mom having and making all sorts of things.

i ordered coffee flour on amazon and have my first bag of almond flour here, ordered some spelt as well. will see how these work with brownies/pancakes and how much i need to alter my recipes.

i thought i was using monkfruit in my stuff this whole time, although i translated my packaging and it looks similar to the US options i find, where the bags are actually mostly erythritol with a small amount of monk fruit.

i see lots of soul bread variations, which one did you follow and how much did your blood sugar go up?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Here's the comparison video where I found the recipe. The guy has a link in his description and describes the bread along with others. I added the yeast to the recipe as he suggested. Eating the bread today, I am dropping my score on it from 7 out of 10 when it's hot and fresh to 6.5 when it comes out of the fridge. Made a sandwich and it was OK but not nearly as good as real bread would be. The texture and appearance is OK but the taste is blander than real bread.

My blood sugar climbed from 103 to 207 in the middle of the night after eating the large beef sandwich around 7 pm. I haven't hit 200 in a while so the bread must be responsible. I punched in 5 extra units of insulin and went back to bed and it was back in range by morning.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i've seen some of his vids, he has one measuring his level after different sweeteners in his coffee.

i just quickly browsed through it, how much does your blood sugar bump up with a little bit of sugar? what protein powder did you use? that seems most suspect, although less so if you used like a pure whey vs. a flavored one.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Pure whey isolate.

Sugar kicks me up fast to even higher levels. If I wake up with a BG of under 50, I try to tell myself to only have a quarter of a candy bar to bump my BG up around 100 points without roller coastering my BG. I used to drink a little bit of orange juice instead but we don't have it in the house since I don't drink it on Keto and nobody else wants it. I keep some Hershey bars in my drinks fridge and they're there for the rare occasions when my blood sugar crashes. Usually other family members end up eating them and I replace them.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i had all my keto bread toasted with shakshuka. it was a solid combo.

at home now, bought some stuff at walmart to try. not sure if it was keto but had a broccoli based crust pizza last night. had beyond meat sausage (which i don't think is actually any better/healthier than regular sausage) - anyway i got it to try the crust, and because the entire pizza was 630 calories. i think other keto or similar pizzas were 1100-1200. regular pizzas 1400+

made it in the air fryer, my mom's is wide and fairly flat. wouldn't have known it was broccoli based crust without being told it. not sure of the carbs (box already gone) but for 630 calories it was pretty good to hit a pizza craving.

i tried a brownie after that using almond flour, it was my first time using it. still a bit dry but better than the coconut flour. i also used less diet coke (it is a variation of the "radical brownies" recipe) and i think it was cooked a bit much/longer than my thai air fryer. i think mine was 15% the cost but it had temps on it, my mom's seems pricey but it only has a medium and high setting so kind of annoying. i'll probably try another brownie tonight and hopefully with some pb2, maybe coffee flour, i think both arriving today.

just made protein pancakes, used whole wheat flour, spelt seems a fair amount lower on the glycemic index (61) and the closest to it to just try and swap 1:1 into my pancake recipe, so i will try it soon too. the problem with trying to swap the flours is i don't know enough about what other things need to change. this is easier in the brownie recipe because you can do whatever, since the primary ingredients are still chocolate/protein/sweetener. in the pancakes though the primary ingredient is easily the flour.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info