šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
you may as well stay away from oat fiber then. i have used it for up to 10% of my pancakes and 20% of my brownies. you can't digest it, if you use enough you will simply get rid of the taste of anything you're trying to make though. it doesn't even appear to be good in hearty bread. you could use it to add bulk or to try and replace calories, i do the latter in those recipes. thought i brought it home but looks like i gave it away in thailand i guess. have only been shopping a couple times since back, was surprised to find walmart had more variety in peanut butters, sweeteners, and flours than trader joe's or meijer. i don't recall if any actually had oat fiber, although wasn't totally looking at the time. walmart definitely had the most flour variety. TJ apparently offers coffee flour but coffee and spelt i'm getting from amazon, didn't see it at my TJ.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
this is the pizza i had - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sonoma-F...-Sausage-and-Peppers-Pizza-12-10-oz/678400413

342 grams total
610 calories

27g fat
39g protein
51g carbs
-- 6g dietary fiber
-- 3g sugar

probably ok diabeetus but not so keto friendly. 39g of protein for 610 calories and pizza is in my wheelhouse though.

they also have this keto cauliflower crust one - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sonoma-Flatbreads-Ultimate-Four-Cheese-Pizza-9-32-oz/328020859 - assuming it is also 3 servings,

396 grams total
960 calories

51g fat
90g protein
33g carbs
-- 15g dietary fiber
-- 3g sugar

that's an awesome amount of protein but the first works out better for myself.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, that's a lot of carbs. The first pizza crust I made and posted about was good and it's Keto. My non Keto buddy even said it was tasty. I don't think I need to experiment anymore with pizza crust since I liked that one.

With bread, I will do some more baking and see if I can improve on the "Soul bread".

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
so that one was actually 2 servings and my math is off. same brand also has a poorly labeled veg pizza (serving size: 1/3 pizza. servings per container: 2 lol)

anyway i put on my walmart frozen pizza analysis hat. that is still the only pizza that seems keto friendly (22 carb, 10 dietary, 12 net) - the other cauliflower crust pizzas still have a bunch of net carbs. in fact, the broccoli crust one i had seems the next best. the nutrisystem one only has lower carbs because it's not even half the size. it is also the most expensive (by far). actually everything about that one just kind of blows from a macro or cost perspective.

ONMi0Fc.png

seems my in store pick also ends up being my spreadsheet pick for myself (#2). the sonoma beyond meat italian sausage & veg w/broccoli crust. good size, low calories, decent protein.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm readjusting to timezones still and was too tired to make my protein brownie with the coffee flour yesterday, which did arrive. i made my pancakes this morning with spelt flour. i have some flour macros for this one here:

sgA7YZ6.png

you can see it certainly doesn't have the net carbs of a coconut or almond flour - but its glycemic index is still much lower than regular white flour, so it should be a lot better in terms of the diabeetus. my pancakes were 80% spelt flour and 20% white flour. i never get mine too fluffy, not sure if that is the chef or them being protein pancakes or the recipe or what (based on mina's anabolic pancakes on youtube). i thought the flavor of the naked pancake was better with the spelt. i might try 100% tomorrow, my worry was apparently it is lower glutens and that removes some structure, and i don't know how to "fix" that by adjusting other things in the recipe, thus why i kept 20% regular flour.

i've also tried mrs. butterworth low sugar syrup and walden farms pancake syrup. i think the former you can get most anywhere and less so the latter. online jewel says 3.99 for each.

mb is 24oz, 1 oz per serving, 10 calories per serving. 16.6 cents/oz, or 16.6 cents/recommended serving
wf is 12 oz, 2 oz per serving, 0 calories per serving. 33.3 cents/oz, or 66.6 cents/recommended serving

i'm not sure how much i use when i make my pancakes, which is a pretty fat stack. the wf is clearly more expensive, although you can drink the whole bottle for 0 calories, so a little nice to not care about portion control or if you're a heavy user. that being said, mb is not a ton of calories. mb is much more watery. wf seems a little more artificial. you could also try making your own low cal version, although i haven't tried that yet. not sure which i really prefer, or if the cost and availability simply makes mb the best choice anyway.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i think i have an adequate amount of baking powder from the recipe i took. i would worry about them getting more dry or something with more. i use 1 1/3 tsp, and err on the side of more than that already. 80g flour, 50g protein powder, 30g sweetener, 1 egg + 1 egg white... might try 1.5 tsp. not sure how important salt is here? just checked and seems i should be using 1/3 tsp, but i just do a pinch so definitely less than that. new experiment tomorrow...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
well, added the appropriate amount more salt and a little more baking soda. stuck with 80% spelt still. great flavor cakes. thought they were bubbling more so expected more fluff. small improvement but nobody would call these fluffy. back to back, it's nice to not care about how much walden farms is used, but mrs. butterworth is the better flavor. it has 4g carb, all 4 are sugar alcohol though. looks like the sweeteners are sorbitol and aspartame. i assume both syrups are keto friendly, the cakes maybe diabetes friendly?

qeZMsbi.jpg

with the syrup probably 700 calories, 68 protein, 12 fat, 84 carbs for all the above

Reactions: Flyn

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
when does something become keto acceptable? target has a nice macro pizza from quest. 7.49 for a 4 cheese with flourless crust. i dont't like the crust as much as the sonoma walmart broccoli one, but this baby is 312 grams (lil smaller) at 650 cals (lil more) - but 54g protein vs. 39. carbs at 51, but 37 are dietary fiber, so 14 net.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
This is Keto. Damned good, too.

I didn't bother making the dough perfectly round. Added Rao Marinara Sauce, sliced tomatoes, saute'ed sweet peppers, sausage, pepperoni and bacon. 2 kinds of mozz cheese and some parmesan. Fresh Basil. Even though it's Keto, it was one of the best tasting pizzas I have ever made. That Rao sauce is good stuff.

GGKWSzK.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Figure almond flour isn't great in quantities. There are 90 grams of it in the recipe. The rest of the pizza is protein and fat with some veggies mixed in. A little bit of natural sugar from the tomatoes. I ate half of it which was 4 smaller pieces, sharing some of it with the dog. He gave me the paw of approval.

This was my one meal today. I won't be hungry until tomorrow afternoon. I don't do exact macro counting but I estimate this is a bit high for a meal and not bad for an entire day. The dough recipe is around page 5 or 6 of this thread. A cutie describes how to make it. It's not bad at all.

My blood sugar topped out at 132 a couple hours after eating it after taking 8 units of insulin. Not bad. A real pizza would have had me over 200 easily.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
if half of that is all you ate in a day, i would not be satiated until the next. i weigh everything that goes into my pancakes or other things i make frequently so i have a reasonably accurate macro count. almond flour is the highest calorie flour on my sheet. since it has so much fat. also fairly expensive. i just use a little bit in my brownies now, was using coconut prior although it is pretty dry.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
well, added the appropriate amount more salt and a little more baking soda. stuck with 80% spelt still. great flavor cakes. thought they were bubbling more so expected more fluff. small improvement but nobody would call these fluffy. back to back, it's nice to not care about how much walden farms is used, but mrs. butterworth is the better flavor. it has 4g carb, all 4 are sugar alcohol though. looks like the sweeteners are sorbitol and aspartame. i assume both syrups are keto friendly, the cakes maybe diabetes friendly?

qeZMsbi.jpg

with the syrup probably 700 calories, 68 protein, 12 fat, 84 carbs for all the above

With something like that, you have to actually physically check your blood sugar afterwards to see if it's truly keto. I've been seeing a lot of people having issues with stuff like this because it's low carb on paper, but due to the huge amount of dietary fiber, sugar alcohols, etc, they end up experience the large glycemic response anyways.

I've been more cognizant of it ever since I started trying keto breads and buns that look/taste way too close to white bread.

edit: This is if you're actually aiming to get into ketosis and stay there. If you're just cutting carbs, I'm sure you're still way ahead of the game vs. regular pancakes and syrup.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, the high fat of Keto foods keeps me satiated a long time. I have either 1 or 2 meals a day depending on how I feel. OMAD, one meal a day, is better for weight loss, of course. Longer fasting and less calories. It makes my body burn fat for energy. I have been hovering between 198 and 196 the last couple days depending on my liquid intake. Maybe 10-15 more lbs. to go.

Reactions: b00sted

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
With something like that, you have to actually physically check your blood sugar afterwards to see if it's truly keto. I've been seeing a lot of people having issues with stuff like this because it's low carb on paper, but due to the huge amount of dietary fiber, sugar alcohols, etc, they end up experience the large glycemic response anyways.

I've been more cognizant of it ever since I started trying keto breads and buns that look/taste way too close to white bread.
Agreed. I have an advantage with my glucose monitor giving me readings every 5 mins. I can tell within an hour if the ingredients are not what the label makes them out to be. So many of the labels are misleading, too. I really need to read the ingredients and values closely.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
with dietary fiber, it can be soluble or insoluble so i can see the net carbs maybe lying to you if you don't know which it is and you are able to digest it.

i thought i had seen some claim that artificial sweeteners still create an insulin response too, just that your insulin didn't have all that much to do.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Agreed. I have an advantage with my glucose monitor giving me readings every 5 mins. I can tell within an hour if the ingredients are not what the label makes them out to be. So many of the labels are misleading, too. I really need to read the ingredients and values closely.

This is how I found out about it too - in a roundabout way. I follow reddit /r/keto and there's quite a few T2 diabetics there who are monitoring their blood sugar after trying the latest and greatest "keto" stuff. There's quite a few things that elicit an insulin response that is no different than whatever regular food you're trying to replace.

I've come to realize that you just have to grind it out and eat really clean in order to do it properly. The keto breads and stuff don't cut the mustard.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
This is how I found out about it too - in a roundabout way. I follow reddit /r/keto and there's quite a few T2 diabetics there who are monitoring their blood sugar after trying the latest and greatest "keto" stuff. There's quite a few things that elicit an insulin response that is no different than whatever regular food you're trying to replace.

I've come to realize that you just have to grind it out and eat really clean in order to do it properly. The keto breads and stuff don't cut the mustard.
I check my ketones every couple days, too. Usually I'm around 3-4 units. As long as my body is dumping ketones, I figure I'm in ketosis. It's not accurate as a blood test but it's a quick and easy pee test.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
with dietary fiber, it can be soluble or insoluble so i can see the net carbs maybe lying to you if you don't know which it is and you are able to digest it.

i thought i had seen some claim that artificial sweeteners still create an insulin response too, just that your insulin didn't have all that much to do.

So with fiber I think there's just a breaking point where you intake too much at once and it causes the insulin response. But I don't know the exact scientific reasoning behind it.

With the sweeteners, I've read that you taste the sweetness and can actually release insulin proactively, just because your body is expecting the sugar rush.

It's weird/interesting stuff. The science on it is still lacking.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004

I think net carbs are one of the ways some companies mislead consumers. Some of them play pretty loose with their stats.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Being a T1, my body doesn't produce insulin so I have to watch my basal and bolus deliveries closely since I do them myself. Too little insulin and my BG rises even if I don't eat anything. I think that's my body turning fat into glucose. Too much insulin and my blood sugar can drop to dangerous levels. Having it drop to 50 at 3 A.M. is no fun because alarms go off and wake me up and I have to eat something and then feel crappy (hungry) until it goes up. Can't eat too much or it turns into a roller coaster of BG. It's like having to eat 2 squares of chocolate when my BG wants me to eat the whole bar. Eventually, when my BG goes up the craving stops.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I've had good success with keto in the past - it's been the most effective for weight loss for me. But I always get cocky and start "cheating" and end up going back to my old habits, which are horrible. Food is literally a drug, especially living and working in Chicago where there are so many great options for carry out.

So this time around I'm just trying to make good choices and eat cleaner in general. Cutting out as much processed food, junk food, sugar, etc as possible. Getting out of the habit of eating fast food 2+ meals a day - I thought working full remote during covid would have helped, but it made it worse.

I'm cutting a significant amount of carbs, but I'm not stressing if something puts me passed the 20-25g net carb limit.

Reactions: Flyn
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info