šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
to improve upon ok to cringey informational posts of yours flyn, you should step up sharing recipe evaluation/tastes.

eg. here's a keto pizza that doesn't suck. or how to make brownies or pancakes that don't suck, etc etc.

everyone with a website or on youtube has a bunch of bullshit, eg. "these fries are just like french fries!" for something like rutabaga fries, which - even if they are good - isn't going to actually hit you for the actual french fry potato taste/feel/craving/etc.

i'm not keto but am playing around with various recipes in attempts to be high protein/large volume/yummy; my pancakes use flour and my brownie uses coconut flour. no real reason other than that's what the recipes started out as. i have also been mixing small amounts (no more than 10%) of oat fiber into both. trying to find a good balance of good taste/low calories/low carbs/high protein. since there are 2.3 million ways to make pancakes (or brownies or whatever) it is challenging to find awesome ones (although most experiments create tolerable ones)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I can do that. Thanks for the suggestion once you got past the needless cutdown you stick at the front of most posts.

These cauliflower "mashed potatoes" would not fool anyone doing a side by side test with real potatoes but they aren't bad, they're Keto and they're a lot healthier for you than real potatoes. Put some butter on them and they taste "close" to the real thing. I made the 2nd version to get the extra creamy "potatoes".

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i had cauliflower mashed "potatoes" iirc from freshly meal delivery services and was unimpressed; i also had them from factor75 and was SUPER impressed, and could have had them legit substitute for mashed taters most any time.

cauliflower rice seems a good trick to dump in and upsize volume for few calories in various meals, although i haven't tried using it yet as i am in thailand and it's not really a thing here/and i'm not going to try and make it. i'll also note chipotle has it now, which seems new since i've been gone (??) and i'm quite curious how it is.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Jumping back on board with the low carb lifestyle. It seems to be the best fit diet based on my food taste and has worked in the past. Without reading all 150+ posts, are the majority doing their daily totals based on total carbs or net carbs. I have done both in the past but found it extremely hard to go based on total carbs vs net. I will be amping up my workouts at the gym as well during this cut.

Edit: Just to add more I would say Iā€™ve been sloppy with the low carb in the past with great results. The last time I went on it I was not getting the same results. I feel like my body might have adapted and I need to be more strict. Previously I never had a set goal for daily carb intake but always tried to limit as much as I could.

net carbs. Your body does not digest fiber so you can exclude it. I'd try to stay under 25 net carbs/day, but I know people that were still achieving a mild ketosis with less than 50 net carbs/day.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
it doesn't seem like there is any benefit to counting carbs vs. net carbs, just makes things murkier to try and understand where you are at. although note that fiber is broken down into soluble and insoluble and the former you do absorb, counts towards calories, etc. not sure if that means it should count as partial carbs to your net or not if you know something is soluble.

i'm about to make passionfruit protein sorbet, it's awesome, was surprised to find how high in both calories and sugar passionfruit is though, given it is a rather sour fruit. it has a lot of fiber and at least some of those calories must be coming from it being soluble fiber. it's hard to go wrong with this baby and it's 10% the cost than it will be in chicago (if you can find the fruit) so i'm really going to miss them.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I'm a little back into IF and lazy Keto, bought Aunt Millies low carb bread and have been eating at Chipotle for lunch again.

i've bought some keto bread recently as i could get it delivered in thailand, and it is eggy/higher protein with not so bad calories. goes well with shakshuka.

have you tried the cauliflower rice at chipotle ?

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
i've bought some keto bread recently as i could get it delivered in thailand, and it is eggy/higher protein with not so bad calories. goes well with shakshuka.

have you tried the cauliflower rice at chipotle ?
I don't see it as an option at our local Chipotle.

So far I'm doing okay, I have to have a block of cheese for snacks or there will be problems.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I never use net carbs. Only actual carbs and I try to keep it at zero if possible. I was able to lose another 45 with real keto. Not net carb fake keto. Protien shake for breakfast, wendys triple with cheese and bacon (no bun) for lunch or Chipotle bowl no rice/beans, then 4 boiled eggs for dinner. or some baked chicken. I can now get into keto within two days when I take a cheat day. Start on a monday morning, by tuesday evening Im testing dark pink on the strips and have the horrible keto breath.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I was doing some reading on OMAD. One meal a day. The people who suggest this usually say that your body may be getting 800 calories (or so) from that meal but, when Keto adapted, it gets the rest of its needed energy from burning body fat. This video by Tom DeLauer suggests that, once the excess fat is gone, lean people need to cut down on the fasting. According to Tom, fat people can handle fasting better. It's sounding, to me, like Keto maintenance is more complex than Keto weight loss and, IMO, should be monitored by patients and their doctors to make sure electrolytes, cortisol, leptin are within acceptable limits.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The people who suggest this usually say that your body may be getting 800 calories (or so) from that meal but, when Keto adapted, it gets the rest of its needed energy from burning body fat.
Tell me something. If someone on a non-keto meal plan went on a starvation diet of 800 calories, what would their body burn for energy to keep functioning?

Reactions: sickmint79

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I think adapting to Keto shows your body how to burn fat rather than carbs. It might be dangerous to have your body suddenly not getting the carbs when it's not prepared to handle it. Ketosis might be harder to handle if your body isn't already pre programmed for it. I don't know enough about it to say for sure.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I went shopping today and was disappointed that every product in the bread and cracker sections that said "Keto friendly" was not Keto. They lie. Heading back to Amazon to see what I can find.

what was off on them? maybe try making your own.

i think bread i'll probably just always end up buying, fun to try different pancake and brownie recipes though.

I was doing some reading on OMAD. One meal a day. The people who suggest this usually say that your body may be getting 800 calories (or so) from that meal but, when Keto adapted, it gets the rest of its needed energy from burning body fat. This video by Tom DeLauer suggests that, once the excess fat is gone, lean people need to cut down on the fasting. According to Tom, fat people can handle fasting better. It's sounding, to me, like Keto maintenance is more complex than Keto weight loss and, IMO, should be monitored by patients and their doctors to make sure electrolytes, cortisol, leptin are within acceptable limits.

i don't have much interest in fasting, esp that long (72 hours yikes) but dexa scans seem good for measuring visceral fat, and i am interested in getting one done once back home in chicago. i'm rather close to the same total weight as in chicago in 2019 but definitely not in body composition, and i think i saved some dexa scan pics, so i'm quite interested to get one and see the difference.

ketones. youd end up in ketosis no matter what you ate.

your liver makes them and it needs to get material to do so from somewhere, which was root of the question.

I think adapting to Keto shows your body how to burn fat rather than carbs. It might be dangerous to have your body suddenly not getting the carbs when it's not prepared to handle it. Ketosis might be harder to handle if your body isn't already pre programmed for it. I don't know enough about it to say for sure.

your body knows how to burn fat without keto, which is what he was getting at. eg. if i eat 800 calories today and burn 2000, 1200 of those calories have to come from somewhere. i'm not on keto. do you think my body is not going to get most of the calories from fat also??? if you think it is going to "get them from carbs" - it literally can't - the only free carbs i have sitting around are the ones i eat.

You would burn body fat. Whether you're on a keto diet or not, if you are in a calorie deficit, your body will make up for the deficit by doing two things:

1. Burning the only stored energy your body has: body fat
2. Slowing your metabolism down (metabolic adaptation)

3. muscle

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info