šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Fuck, I need to eat more ice cream. Thanks sickmint79 sickmint79

certainly different than store bought, but i'm making my own protein based frozen treats and am about 30 days of it actually. i have a cookies 'n cream version, a berries and chocolate version (both use yogurt, a thai one with solid macros actually), and a passionfruit sorbet. the passionfruit is nice because it's a strong flavor and just cuts through everything, plus i can go buy the amount i'd need - a dozen fresh ones walking down the road for $2.50 - or i can buy ~40 worth as a brick of frozen passionfruit for like 10? not sure. looking back home, i see whole foods sometimes has them, for $2.50 apiece lol. so my days of passionfruit sorbet are numbered. (hoping pineapple can take its place)

mine are all big (500-700+ grams) and 350-450 calories, 30-60g protein. this one is 383 calories 43 grams of protein.

m14VVE7.jpg

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I found out about Keto aka NSNG (No Sugar, No Grains) from Vinnie Tortorich.

He's got a decent enough podcast, tends to go off topic quite a bit, but has very good info.

Reactions: Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
This video will get some disagreement, I'm sure, because it goes against a lot of modern diet thinking. Dr. Berg says begin Keto then eat to satisfaction. Eliminate snacks and meals until you are losing the weight you want to lose. He suggests some people will need to eat 1 meal every other day to get results. He says obese people are carrying around tens (or hundreds) of thousands of calories that the body can use for energy.

Sometimes I eat two meals a day, sometimes one. I try to keep some calories going in because of what you guys have said but Dr. Berg suggests that may not be necessary.

I don't mind if you guys disagree but please keep it polite. Attacks will be deleted. Thanks!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Non doctor, Tom DeLauer, says periods of fasting create Glucagon leading to weight loss. He suggests intermittent fasting for 1 day a week and taking in 3,000 calories the other days would create a 3,000 calorie deficit for the week allowing a 1 lb. weight loss. He suggests looking at weekly caloric intake is a better system than daily.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
How much protein can you eat in a day and stay in Keto? These tests by one person indicate that low carbs may be more important than low protein.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Carnivore diet vs. Keto?

Similarities: Protein and fat consumption with different percentages. Near elimination of carbs and sugars. Weight loss and feeling much better than people on portion control or low fat diets do. Skipping 1 or 2 meals a day. No snacks. Plenty of salt. Adding electrolytes to diet. Both diets put you into ketosis.

Differences: Way more protein with carnivore. No veggies (Carnivore) vs. plenty of veggies (Keto).

Looks to me like these two diets have a lot of similarities. Cutting/eliminating carbs and sugars being the big ones.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
The knowledge on Keto and low carb diets is not embraced by most doctors and endocrinologists. The most I had one do was suggest a "diet". Then he prescribed appetite suppressants.

I talk to diabetics online and personal friends and very few of them are more than passingly familiar with Keto, Carnivore or any low carb lifestyle. Failure of the medical community to get the word out?

If this thread helps one or two people understand Keto better, it's a success.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I started at 225 lbs. My initial goal was 190. I'm at 204 now. I will reassess when I get to 190 and see how everything is going. I may go a few more pounds lighter than that since 6' 184 lbs. is top of the ideal weight range.

I have doctor appts. in August and will be getting a thorough blood test at that time.

Once I reach my end goals, I will switch to maintenance. Probably add some occasional carbs and calories back into my diet and work on maintaining the weight. I knew all along this would be a lifestyle change if it's going to be successful long term. Once I get to the maintenance point, I will switch my focus to learning the best ways to do that.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I started at 225 lbs. My initial goal was 190. I'm at 204 now. I will reassess when I get to 190 and see how everything is going. I may go a few more pounds lighter than that since 6' 184 lbs. is top of the ideal weight range.

I have doctor appts. in August and will be getting a thorough blood test at that time.

Once I reach my end goals, I will switch to maintenance. Probably add some occasional carbs and calories back into my diet and work on maintaining the weight. I knew all along this would be a lifestyle change if it's going to be successful long term. Once I get to the maintenance point, I will switch my focus to learning the best ways to do that.
Sounds like you have a plan, good luck

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The knowledge on Keto and low carb diets is not embraced by most doctors and endocrinologists. The most I had one do was suggest a "diet". Then he prescribed appetite suppressants.

I talk to diabetics online and personal friends and very few of them are more than passingly familiar with Keto, Carnivore or any low carb lifestyle. Failure of the medical community to get the word out?

If this thread helps one or two people understand Keto better, it's a success.

that's amazing a doctor knowing you were diabetic wouldn't aim you towards a carb regulated diet. id find a new doctor for sure.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
None of my endocrinologists ever did more than mention a diet might be a good idea. They were all focused on the latest insulin device, pills and injections that the medical company reps were pushing on them. I recently mentioned Keto to a customer's father who goes to the same endocrinologist I do. He asked her about Keto and she told him that's a terrible diet for a diabetic. I think she's wrong and will have a long conversation with her in August to let her know my results.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
This video will get some disagreement, I'm sure, because it goes against a lot of modern diet thinking. Dr. Berg says begin Keto then eat to satisfaction. Eliminate snacks and meals until you are losing the weight you want to lose. He suggests some people will need to eat 1 meal every other day to get results. He says obese people are carrying around tens (or hundreds) of thousands of calories that the body can use for energy.

why should someone normal start eating keto? my mom is trying to lose weight. is the best diet going to be one that's very restrictive and picky to the point that it forces her body to switch from standard carb/glucose usage to fat as a source? is that a long term recipe for something a person can stick to and succeed? you can "eliminate snacks" under any diet model. you can also snack smarter. you can also exercise more and snack on any and everything. what sense does it make saying one should start with going on an extremely restrictive diet?? you yourself don't even sound like you are going to stay on it. why would someone not make choices right from the start of a sustainable long term model instead of one they have no plan to continue following anyway?

Sometimes I eat two meals a day, sometimes one. I try to keep some calories going in because of what you guys have said but Dr. Berg suggests that may not be necessary.

I don't mind if you guys disagree but please keep it polite. Attacks will be deleted. Thanks!

if you've deleted anything i've posted in here i could conclude nothing but you are a safe space baby snowflake, pull up your panties.

How much protein can you eat in a day and stay in Keto? These tests by one person indicate that low carbs may be more important than low protein.

was this news to you? :rolleyes: literally the entire concept of the diet and how it works is based around carbs being more important than protein.

you seem (as well as this article) to be ignoring the prior discussion of high protein with low carbs appearing to increase your risk of kidney stones, which is already at elevated risk in a keto diet. i would not be scared of high protein risking my ketosis, i'd be terrified of it giving me rocks i can't piss out.

Carnivore diet vs. Keto?

Similarities: Protein and fat consumption with different percentages. Near elimination of carbs and sugars. Weight loss and feeling much better than people on portion control or low fat diets do. Skipping 1 or 2 meals a day. No snacks. Plenty of salt. Adding electrolytes to diet. Both diets put you into ketosis.

Differences: Way more protein with carnivore. No veggies (Carnivore) vs. plenty of veggies (Keto).

Looks to me like these two diets have a lot of similarities. Cutting/eliminating carbs and sugars being the big ones.

seems expensive, difficult to sustain, and a way to introduce potential micronutrient/mineral/fiber deficiencies. eg. fad or maybe beneficial for rare medical reasons.

sounds like your doctor is lazy/sucks

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I suggest the best diet is one a person can handle. People are different so there's not one best diet for everyone.

Kidney stones are a potential issue with diets like Keto. I drink a lot of fluids to, hopefully, keep my system working well. Look at the alternative of not getting on a diet and dying early because of obesity and complications. Every person has to weigh the pluses and minuses and decide for themselves.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I suggest the best diet is one a person can handle. People are different so there's not one best diet for everyone.

Kidney stones are a potential issue with diets like Keto. I drink a lot of fluids to, hopefully, keep my system working well. Look at the alternative of not getting on a diet and dying early because of obesity and complications. Every person has to weigh the pluses and minuses and decide for themselves.

it's certainly not the only risk, nor can every bad thing (eg. acidosis) be (hopefully) handled by supposedly drinking more/enough water - the point is the part in bold is a completely false choice. the alternative isn't not getting on a diet. it's 100 other diet and/or lifestyle changes one can do. usually without any fun risks like kidney stones.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Jumping back on board with the low carb lifestyle. It seems to be the best fit diet based on my food taste and has worked in the past. Without reading all 150+ posts, are the majority doing their daily totals based on total carbs or net carbs. I have done both in the past but found it extremely hard to go based on total carbs vs net. I will be amping up my workouts at the gym as well during this cut.

Edit: Just to add more I would say Iā€™ve been sloppy with the low carb in the past with great results. The last time I went on it I was not getting the same results. I feel like my body might have adapted and I need to be more strict. Previously I never had a set goal for daily carb intake but always tried to limit as much as I could.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info