Keto - low carb - low sugar

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
***mows down bacon wrapped deep fried ribeye with butter dipping sauce for lunch****

giphy.gif
I'm not knocking it at all, like I said it's preference. I've always preferred carbs over fats personally but I totally get why people prefer keto, and i'm curious about how different I'd feel only eating proteins/fats. I just don't like it when people that know nothing about nutrition make false claims that it's some sort of magic diet

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm not knocking it at all, like I said it's preference. I've always preferred carbs over fats personally but I totally get why people prefer keto, and i'm curious about how different I'd feel only eating proteins/fats. I just don't like it when people that know nothing about nutrition make false claims that it's some sort of magic diet

i can't hear you over my meat popsicle snack

giphy.gif

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg

IMO its not a diet, its a lifestyle choice. If its your first time, plan out at least 2 weeks of meals and stick to it. You'll probably feel cruddy for a little while (keto flu), but once you get over that hill and transition to ketones, you should feel 1000% better. Ketones also boost mental clarity.

less sugar=better sleep, kinda logical
Yes, it's logical. The absence of sugar would trigger the liver to start producing ketones within three to five days, which is when the body starts to enter ketosis and burn fat. But just because food is labeled sugar-free doesn't mean it has no carbs. I've been on Keto for a month and I feel much better, have more energy. If you are interested in giving this diet plan a try, I suggest checking this article https://betterme.world/articles/keto-diet/ It helped me figure everything out and understand how to follow this diet.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Took a long break away from doing Keto and over this winter/early spring, I have noticed that I've taken a break. Pants are all tighter. Shirts have gotten tighter. Knees and back have started to hurt again.

I've kept a few of my keto staple snacks and drinks around (black coffee, zero sugar coke, etc even while not doing a keto diet as a way to "maintain" and that worked for the most part to keep me at a consistent weight. But I got lazier with it and lazier, and per the scale I had gained about 10-15 pounds over what I was maintaining. I dabbled with Alternate Day fasting for about 2 weeks (no food after dinner until 2 days later, so essentially a 36 hour fast followed by a day of eating) and I saw some weight loss, but I found it not a long-term solution for me. The only thing that has ever worked was following a pretty strict Keto diet, so I'm back on it. Today is day 4, I'm already down about 3.5# since Monday.

Been tracking and logging my meals/food with the Carb Manager app and I have been surprised at the total Net Carbs in some "grain free" food items that I used to eat often as part of my lazy keto maintenance diet. Things like Veggie Straws and Siete brand Grain Free chips. Also, I've been eating these tasty Almond Nut Thins that I thought were just almond flour but turns out they are not.

I'm also surprised that Cold Brew coffee has 3g Net Carbs. I've been logging the coffee I brew at home as just plain coffee for 0g net carbs. I do run my cold brew through a paper filter after steeping 24 hrs in the fridge.

I recently ran out of my grounds and picked up a couple cans of Starbucks Nitro Cold Brew at Jewel, mostly because I'm going out of town the next 2 days and I didn't want to leave a batch to sit in the fridge while I was gone. When I scanned the barcode this morning I was shocked that the can was 3g Net Carbs.

Since I'm traveling this weekend, it's going to be hard to be strict, but I've been decent this week. My goal on the app is 24 G net carbs, but I have not been great at staying under that until yesterday.

I'll be using this thread to help keep me honest these next few months.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Took a long break away from doing Keto and over this winter/early spring, I have noticed that I've taken a break. Pants are all tighter. Shirts have gotten tighter. Knees and back have started to hurt again.

I've kept a few of my keto staple snacks and drinks around (black coffee, zero sugar coke, etc even while not doing a keto diet as a way to "maintain" and that worked for the most part to keep me at a consistent weight. But I got lazier with it and lazier, and per the scale I had gained about 10-15 pounds over what I was maintaining. I dabbled with Alternate Day fasting for about 2 weeks (no food after dinner until 2 days later, so essentially a 36 hour fast followed by a day of eating) and I saw some weight loss, but I found it not a long-term solution for me. The only thing that has ever worked was following a pretty strict Keto diet, so I'm back on it. Today is day 4, I'm already down about 3.5# since Monday.

Been tracking and logging my meals/food with the Carb Manager app and I have been surprised at the total Net Carbs in some "grain free" food items that I used to eat often as part of my lazy keto maintenance diet. Things like Veggie Straws and Siete brand Grain Free chips. Also, I've been eating these tasty Almond Nut Thins that I thought were just almond flour but turns out they are not.

I'm also surprised that Cold Brew coffee has 3g Net Carbs. I've been logging the coffee I brew at home as just plain coffee for 0g net carbs. I do run my cold brew through a paper filter after steeping 24 hrs in the fridge.

I recently ran out of my grounds and picked up a couple cans of Starbucks Nitro Cold Brew at Jewel, mostly because I'm going out of town the next 2 days and I didn't want to leave a batch to sit in the fridge while I was gone. When I scanned the barcode this morning I was shocked that the can was 3g Net Carbs.

Since I'm traveling this weekend, it's going to be hard to be strict, but I've been decent this week. My goal on the app is 24 G net carbs, but I have not been great at staying under that until yesterday.

I'll be using this thread to help keep me honest these next few months.
This time, as you do keto, track total calories so that you know what you can eat when you come off of it without gaining the fat back.

Most people that do keto regain what they lost because they never learn the fundamentals of fat loss (hint: it has nothing to do with keto). That's not a good diet, that's a yoyo diet.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
This time, as you do keto, track total calories so that you know what you can eat when you come off of it without gaining the fat back.

Most people that do keto regain what they lost because they never learn the fundamentals of fat loss (hint: it has nothing to do with keto). That's not a good diet, that's a yoyo diet.
Agreed. That's why I had some staple snacks/foods that I have used to maintain. Breakfast and lunch during the week are easy for me to eat Keto friendly. It's the family dinner/weekends that were historically tougher for me. All good stuff to know and think about.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I'll play too.

I'm 6 feet tall, got down to 208 on carnivore last year. I fafo'd after some surgery and went back up to 231.

This past monday I got to 223, for now been doing OMAD but also avoiding snacking and obvious sugars.

My goal is 208.
you seem to be yo yo dieting fad to fad rather than discovering a long term sustainable diet that works for you.

• Care

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Agreed. That's why I had some staple snacks/foods that I have used to maintain. Breakfast and lunch during the week are easy for me to eat Keto friendly. It's the family dinner/weekends that were historically tougher for me. All good stuff to know and think about.
i'd say if you know those things are coming to either be a part of the prep to control oils/calories/portioning, or make sure to have a smaller breakfast/lunch, or expect on the days where you went out and enjoyed a backyard party on the weekend to throw in some additional exercise.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
That's why keto is such an unsustainable diet for 99% of people. If you go to a family dinner or bbq eat what you want but track the total calories or macros for the day. Kicking yourself out of keto doesn't impact fat loss/gain at all if calories are equated.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
i'd say if you know those things are coming to either be a part of the prep to control oils/calories/portioning, or make sure to have a smaller breakfast/lunch, or expect on the days where you went out and enjoyed a backyard party on the weekend to throw in some additional exercise.
yup. Part of it is also me not really caring THAT much on evenings/weekends. Wife was complaining the other night about my limitations. I said pick a place and I'll deal with it and figure it out. No doctor put me on this diet. I'm choosing to do it for myself. For this upcomnig roadtrip, I have prepped and have some easy low sugar/carb snacks ready for me that I can eat 1 handed in the car. I have a few "fast food" places where I can get by (burgers no buns, chipotle salad/bowl, etc.
That's why keto is such an unsustainable diet for 99% of people. If you go to a family dinner or bbq eat what you want but track the total calories or macros for the day. Kicking yourself out of keto doesn't impact fat loss/gain at all if calories are equated.
See above. Even when I was pretty strict with keto for 2 years and lost nearly 70 pounds on it, on holidays and parties, if I had a slice of pizza and a slice of cake, sure, I'd be kicked out of ketosis for the day. 1 day not in ketosis is no big deal if you go back to a keto diet the next day. You gotta allow yourself to have cheat days as needed.

Next time I'm near a Pequods, I'm gonna eat it, wether I'm doing strict keto or not.

I saying on a Keto podcaster I used to listen to used to say "I don't care what you eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I care what you eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving" and he would also say "put fun into living" meaning have those cheat meals at parties and events, just do them in moderation, and I think that's a great way to think about all this.

I just got out of moderation lately, and this is me getting back into a better routine.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
keto itself i could say take it or leave it, the pain for me just seems to be how restrictive it is. eating in a caloric deficit is one thing, doing so while limiting foods to maintain ketosis is pulling a lot of stuff off of the board.

i've been eating more calories lately - less meals at home, when i go out just eating more stuff, my smoothie bowl going from 1-3 days a week to 3-5. i've also had my heaviest lifts in the gym as a result, after basically staying pretty flat for a long time. definitely putting on some more fat too though. arrived in thailand around this time last year at 92 kg. went to south africa probably 89. left 86 and weak. not really a ton of progress in putting up any more weight through that time either which was like 9 months, and it is certainly not because i'm tapped out, i'd put myself squarely at novice to maybe if i'm lucky getting closer to intermediate for some exercises. back to 90 kg today but also have my best benches and shoulder presses now. abs are turning into flabs though. ? telling myself to indulge a little less and that i'll work on cutting come august.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
so I've been tracking my food over the last 2 weeks via Carb Manager app. I had 1 day last week while traveling that I didn't really stick to keto, but every other day I did ok. I have been averaging around the 30g of net carbs (though my daily goal through the app is 24g). Yesterday I was way under on my macros (16g carbs, 1200 calories out of my goal of 1944) and I gained about a 1.5 pounds overnight. It was the first time that I didn't really go over my net carbs and it was also a day that I gained.

Overall in the 2 weeks I'm down about 6.5 pounds with this hiccup yesterday. At least I'm still on a downward trend, but it was a bit disheartening when I got on the scale this morning.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
if you ate 1200 calories it seems unlikely you gained any actual weight, i would ignore day to day or night to morning measurements anyway. weigh yourself the same every day like morning post-shit and look at something like a 7 day average to track your progress and completely ignore day to day gyrations.

Reactions: blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
if you ate 1200 calories it seems unlikely you gained any actual weight, i would ignore day to day or night to morning measurements anyway. weigh yourself the same every day like morning post-shit and look at something like a 7 day average to track your progress and completely ignore day to day gyrations.
I weigh myself every morning, around the same time, post morning piss as I'm about to enter the shower. I will ignore it and carry on tracking as I was, but I have been seeing pretty consistent .5 to 1 pound losses every day so far and to see a big increase when I ate less was a bit shocking.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
not saying this is why, but you simply could have had more water for whatever reason in your body than you typically do at that point. or maybe just full of dookie not ready to come piling out. if you're hitting under 2k calories in general i'm not even sure where you're at but would expect most guys to be dropping weight. 1200 pretty much anyone i'd most assuredly expect to drop weight, maybe even from places you don't want to lose it.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
just got back from 2 weeks in Europe, mainly Italy and greece and ate like an absolute savage there. The bread and pastas there are just 'different' and better quality, idk how else to explain it. You look around and notice obesity is less common, considering their carb heavy diet. Its really kind of strange.

I did enjoy doing keto a few years ago, but I'll admit it's been very hard to get back on the wagon. My view on it has changed and I look back on it as a great learning experience. I lost 80 lbs at my peak, but since gained about 30 of it back.

the hardest part for me was having to plan around unexpected dinners and gatherings. When I was in peak ketosis, I would preview a menu and already have my selection made before sitting down.

never got into store bought "keto" snacks, all seemed gimmicky and pricy. I snacked on basics i'd buy in bulk, meats, cheeses, olives, and nuts. High fat and mid protein, low/no carb. I still do today but not as much quantity.

Today i'm more mindful of calories in/calories out. Look at something and ask yourself is it calorie worthy?

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Watching my calorie in and out a little more with an app, modified keto diet with keeping an eye on net carbs and net sugars. Been doing this now for the last few weeks or so, and added in more animal proteins, veggies and select fruits here and there, even trying to stay away from any kind of non-animal protein products as in powders and bars, unless I need something to grab and go.

Started at 205 and down to 197 as of this morning. Goal would be 185.

Also picked up a new scale called Renpho, download a app, weigh yourself and it pulled up all your body’s information as in weight, bmi, muscle etc… very close to the same numbers at my dr’s office.

IMG_0388.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info