Keto - low carb - low sugar

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Once I’m down to my target weight, I plan to incorporate keto in some ways for as long as I can, low carbs and sugar moving forward with out starving myself. Low amounts of both are not bad, it about the amount you consume.

As for now I dont miss much on the carbs side as I can substitute carbs as in cauliflower rice, and bypass when needed as in bunless burger.

sugar now is my hard one to break away from as I have a sweet tooth and been making some sacrifices but it will be worth it.

breaking off sugar was the hardest part imo. Then the keto flu during transition, especially after eating a high carb SAD my whole life. Just had to power through it and get over both and I felt 300% better. Sugar cravings pretty much disappeared.

Speaking of cauliflower rice, I saw chipotle just added it, haven't tried it yet.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah but you still can eat a negligible amount of carbs. A serving of broccoli has a 3-4g carbs in it. The word "keto" has been misconstrued for profit, there is a lot of junk and crap out there labeled "keto". The end goal is switching your body from glycogen to ketones for energy. I stayed under <25g net carbs/day and tested pee for ketosis regularly. Fiber is also a carb but doesn't count, so you have net carbs.

Yeah I used to be able to have a coors light or three and stay in ketosis.

Reactions: radioguy6

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Keto = scam. Just saying :)
giphy.gif

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Probably good to talk about what isn't necessarily keto tho too... Like... Meatballs at restaurants quite frequently are looooaded with bread crumbs and you'd have no idea looking at one.

yeah you have to do your research before going to a restaurant. The dish may be OK, but dressings, sauces might not be. Another one is bone-in chicken wings. Awesome for keto (high fat/good protein/zero carbs naked), but beware many are breaded. I know BWW's are not and they're fried in beef tallow.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yeah you have to do your research before going to a restaurant. The dish may be OK, but dressings, sauces might not be. Another one is bone-in chicken wings. Awesome for keto (high fat/good protein/zero carbs naked), but beware many are breaded. I know BWW's are not and they're fried in beef tallow.
Depends on which wings of course but yeah. Just ask if they are breaded typically.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Thats rough, I'd rather do 5/2 which isnt that hard if you like black coffee. I prefer the 16/8 and occasionally I'll switch it up and do 5/2. When doing 5/2 I eat a decent size dinner by 6pm. Drink 2-3 cups of black coffee throughout the following day and goes by pretty quickly.

For you Keto guys, are you going to do Keto the rest of your life? I'm willing to bet once you go back to carbs your going to put everything back on and then some.

I like to time carbs around working out, I feel like that would work great for someone like you that likes to lift heavy, eat your carbs pre and post workout so you can keep your strength up and cut them out the rest of the day, 100grams of carbs a day around your workout and you will still drop weight as you can easily use all that up in a workout

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I did 3 months of keto beginning of 2019 bloodwork befor and after, my bad cholesterol dropped like 28 points and my good cholesterol came up 4-5

Yeah this is normal. Goes against the grain of thinking for most, but its true if you are in ketosis. But ONLY if you are in ketosis. Otherwise there is no way you should be eating like that.

Reactions: blue-sun

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
For anyone that’s never done it, 2-3 beers will have you feeling buzzed as hell ?.

Yes indeed and a very good point. I have to watch my alcohol intake in ketosis, it sneaks up on me quick. I learned this the hard way, got absolutely wrecked one night on only a couple hard drinks, tolerance resets and there are no carbs/glycogen to absorb it :rofl:

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I switched to Jameson and Water as my go to drink when I went keto. It’s not ideal but better than a beer, cider or margarita.
I also switched to black coffee when I started on keto. Iced coffee at McDonald’s was my jam back in the day. I went to no syrup in it and just coffee/creamer for a while and then I had some nasty non-dairy creamer one day that tore my shit up, so I went black and I’ll never go back. Hahahaha

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Keto is one diet I've never tried. I am curious and may one day just buy a bunch of keto prepped meals and try it for 2 weeks.

I'm glad nobody is in here swearing that keto offers sooo many benefits over a traditional calorie deficit with balanced macros. It doesn't, it's just personal preference. If your maintenance cals are 3,000 and you're eating 2,600 per day, all other things being equal you will lose body fat (note I said fat, not weight) at the same rate on both a keto diet or a balanced diet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info