🔧 BUILD K swap miata

General Information

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while but I thought I'd share my winter project.

I have a 1995 Miata that will be getting the k24a2 out of a 2008 Acura TSX.

K power industries is local to IL and makes a package that includes most of what's needed.

Does it make sense monetarily? Probably not, but that's cars. Hopefully it will be greater than the sum of its parts.

So, I got the motor from a junkyard and started tearing it down to replace the oil pump and timing components. This was for pan clearance and just general maintenance.

The rsx type s oil pump can handle higher revs and the adaptor is for clearance as you will see later it will sit weird.

20210403_184850_HDR.jpg

20210405_150014[1].jpg

20210829_115127[1].jpg

20210829_161740[1].jpg

20210829_130802[1].jpg
PXL_20220414_170240558.jpg
More cutting sits much better now. It was catching near where the intake mani meets the tb

PXL_20220414_011626710.jpg
Picked up more exhaust pipe last night. Shooting for Saturday to get it fabbed up.

PXL_20220414_172905464.MP.jpg
Made a sand bag holder for an old pickup and now it shall be ramps for the Miata
PXL_20220414_174457599.jpg

PXL_20220414_174847006.jpg
After the exhaust gets done I'll swap out my winter table. Hopefully get an alignment the following week.

PXL_20220414_174525451.jpg
Gave it a quick wipe down too.

I'm so fucking pumped.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You are going to have a lot of fucken fun lol. I get the attraction of a Miata and the challenge to use its momentum to be a fun car to track, but with that kind of power that shit is going to be fun ASF. Turbo Miata's with the same power are also fun but they overheat and break all the time. To make the same power and TQ reliably with a Kseries is the PERFECT match for the chassis IMO.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro
lookin good. You planning on getting the OEM lip kit? they make such a huge difference. Ive had 3-4 NA miatas myself, everything from na to SC to turbo.
Got too much money to spend on other stuff first. Never been a looks guy.

Adjusted idle. Gonna cold start it in a few hours and see if it likes it. Also realized I was running open loop which explains some of the stuff I was seeing.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Keep an eye on your exhaust they tend to stress relieved and shift sometimes causing them to burn into the bumper. It's a good idea to just clamp the tip or use a couple of tack welds on the tip for when exhaust Settles its correctable.

I also highly suggest that unless you know your oxygen sensor is minty. I'd recommend a new one as the sensors get to 50,000 miles they do degrade and no longer transition 450mv at true stoichiometric. Oil and coolant contamination of the porcelin are also no good

Keep an eye on your exhaust they tend to stress relieved and shift sometimes causing them to burn into the bumper. It's a good idea to just clamp the tip or use a couple of tack welds on the tip for when exhaust Settles its correctable.

I also highly suggest that unless you know your oxygen sensor is minty. I'd recommend a new one as the sensors get to 50,000 miles they do degrade and no longer transition 450mv at true stoichiometric. Oil and coolant contamination of the porcelin are also no good

Waiting to see how the exhaust is after the new hangers get attached.

And the o2 sensor is new. It was running open loop through the tuner.

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I didn't really see anything that would affect your tune that much. You don't have aftermarket cams... the factory pcm should be able to handle everything within the usual plus or minus 16% fueling.

Wait until after you get a full wideband setup installed in it along with a cold start override switch. (So you can power it up/preheat wideband for cold start data logging)

Near as I can tell right now is you just get a Canned tune anyways... so unless that tuner has spent a bunch of hours on a car exactly the same as yours you're going to be paying money for very little "tuning"

If you're just looking to get rid of the codes/diag for the automatic transmission that's no longer there etcetera.... I can see that.... but that's about as much of a tune as brushing your teeth is a visit to the dentist....

Have you searched for terms like a swap bin file or stand-alone engine bin file? There's got to be some plug-and-play PCMS for that sort of thing out there.... being that it's a swap or Standalone setup may be part of the reason why they're not responding back to you since those types of projects can be extraordinary really tedious verifying that your customer did everything right

I didn't really see anything that would affect your tune that much. You don't have aftermarket cams... the factory pcm should be able to handle everything within the usual plus or minus 16% fueling.

Wait until after you get a full wideband setup installed in it along with a cold start override switch. (So you can power it up/preheat wideband for cold start data logging)

Near as I can tell right now is you just get a Canned tune anyways... so unless that tuner has spent a bunch of hours on a car exactly the same as yours you're going to be paying money for very little "tuning"

If you're just looking to get rid of the codes/diag for the automatic transmission that's no longer there etcetera.... I can see that.... but that's about as much of a tune as brushing your teeth is a visit to the dentist....

Have you searched for terms like a swap bin file or stand-alone engine bin file? There's got to be some plug-and-play PCMS for that sort of thing out there.... being that it's a swap or Standalone setup may be part of the reason why they're not responding back to you since those types of projects can be extraordinary really tedious verifying that your customer did everything right
It has a lot of things the stock car does not. A tune will make a world of difference. My friend with a k24z3 motor made 150hp on the base map then when tuned made 206.

My change may not be as drastic but there is major power left on the table.

I don't have any dtcs at the moment.

And the car has had a new wideband this whole time.

Hondata is one of the most popular tuning options and I have one of the most popular Honda motors. It's not a matter of finding a tuner. It's just picking one. They all have tons of great reviews.

Today, I swapped out the old rubber exhaust hangers. I also drove it to work and then made two pointless trips after work just to drive it some more. This car is going to be an absolute riot. I wound it out to 7k and vtec clearly engaged lmao.

Thread Info