🔧 BUILD K swap miata

General Information

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while but I thought I'd share my winter project.

I have a 1995 Miata that will be getting the k24a2 out of a 2008 Acura TSX.

K power industries is local to IL and makes a package that includes most of what's needed.

Does it make sense monetarily? Probably not, but that's cars. Hopefully it will be greater than the sum of its parts.

So, I got the motor from a junkyard and started tearing it down to replace the oil pump and timing components. This was for pan clearance and just general maintenance.

The rsx type s oil pump can handle higher revs and the adaptor is for clearance as you will see later it will sit weird.

20210403_184850_HDR.jpg

20210405_150014[1].jpg

20210829_115127[1].jpg

20210829_161740[1].jpg

20210829_130802[1].jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I don't know what the condition or age of your oxygen sensor is but they can get damaged during prolonged engine installs and cause false readings within the first minute of engine running the computer will start to rely on the sensor and adjust fueling.

Typically sensors can tend to skew from stoichiometric @450mv after 40k miles or contamination from oil or coolant on the inside or on the outside of the ceramic.

Unplug the oxygen sensor and leave it unplugged to make sure you're running on the factory ECU tables. It may have already learned a justments so go ahead and disconnect the battery to do a hard reset of the fuel trims.

It's one of the better first steps to make sure that it is not the sensor causing issues especially if the engine runs worse after running for a short period Of time.

There was one ground I was advised to move from VC to the back of the head.

I had a brand new stock Acura RSX o2 sensor. I know that doesn't mean it can't be broken, but I think my issues are more throttle vacuum leak related.

Unfortunately, I misunderstood some shit and the exhaust I bought was smaller than I realized. Need to get that returned and just have one made. Which means I need to get those 1 piece axles put in too.

It's really easy to get bogged down by bs, but I have to take a step back and remember my car has only been down since Thanksgiving and there were 2 months where I just didn't even touch it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
oh you poor baby. work on something that no one makes parts for and see how long it takes

have a smoke or vape and blow into your brake booster hose.

also check for unmetered air (holes or leaks downstream of the maf, but before the throttle blade)

confirm ECT is correct, pay attention to F vs C.

confirm map/baro sensors read correctly at KOEO atmospheric and settles to the nominal man air press at idle
check TPS output through a full sweep to make sure there arent breaks in the carbon track (all it takes is a screwdriver handle falling onto a TPS to damage it....no telling what condition its in from a salvageyard)

O2, TPS , MAF and MAP are trusted sensors to most pcm's and typically only have actual circuit failure diagnostics (open/short detection ) so something out of range is possible

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i also thought of something since i recal thats a different intake.

if you removed the oe studs/etc and are using bolts, double check they arent bottoming out in the holes and not compressing the intake gasket completly

if loose enough i know for a fact with MLS style intake gaskets they can act like a reed and make ungodly noises.

The tps is new, and all the sensors appear to be working as they should at koeo and while running. I also adjusted the throttle blade to sit precisely where the computer would want it.

The stock intake is only 2 studs, and I checked before assembly to make sure the bolts wouldn't bottom out.

Coincidentally, the brake booster line was something I was going to look at as I did not realize the old one had a check valve on it. I don't think that's my issue due to the direction it functions, but something to remember.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The tps is new, and all the sensors appear to be working as they should at koeo and while running. I also adjusted the throttle blade to sit precisely where the computer would want it.

The stock intake is only 2 studs, and I checked before assembly to make sure the bolts wouldn't bottom out.

Coincidentally, the brake booster line was something I was going to look at as I did not realize the old one had a check valve on it. I don't think that's my issue due to the direction it functions, but something to remember.

You really want that check valve, that gives you braking if you are in a low vacuum condition.

I was under the impression you were already able to read your PID readouts and scanning it this entire time.

It's never a bad idea to record and check nominal values on anyone's car...it's how you detect problems before they become expensive problems.
....when something starts deviating....

Glad ya got it figured out.
That's the thing I was under the impression it was reading correctly at first. I could see it reading engine off and it would move when I tried to start it.

I checked voltages and when I swapped in the new part it appeared to be reading exactly the same way key on engine off.

So, I honestly thought I hadn't found the problem. But it started right up.

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc
Sounds like shes's idling smooth. Did you even cam it or anything?
Nope, kept what I could stock. Don't need to risk the Miata 5spd trans any more lol. Any more power and we're looking at new trans and diff options.

Or trying to find the Mazdaspeed Miata trans. Which I prefer the 5spd.

People like to swap in bmw E46 trans though.

Did a short 4 mile round trip to get gas yesterday. Drives great, just needs an exhaust.

Honda coolant temp sensor works, need to troubleshoot getting the stock miata gauge to work, believe I just plugged in the wrong sensor here.

Ordered some flanges, hangers, bends, and gaskets to make an exhaust. Hoping to finally swap those axles soon.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Thread Info