Its another installment of post your internet speedz!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Not necessarily. Only if the SSIDs are the same and password is the same.

I purposely have it setup has 2 completely different networks. My ubiquiti only serves 5ghz and my tplink only serves 2.4

Different ssids and passwords

Yup. My one SSID is FBI Stake Out Van and the other is NSA Drone.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It's 6 P.M. busy time near me and Xfinity is still pumping out over 200 mb download. Usual 12 up.

8683169438.png

Reactions: Marko

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Not necessarily. Only if the SSIDs are the same and password is the same.

I purposely have it setup has 2 completely different networks. My ubiquiti only serves 5ghz and my tplink only serves 2.4

Different ssids and passwords
Thats my point. If its setup correctly it works. I don't see much reason not to set it up considering it works well and keeps the devices on the band best suited to them.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Lord Tin Foilhat tinfoilhat wombat wombat

Whats the next step for residential Fiber?

In comparison to about 2009, I had comcast 12Mbps... and they upgraded to 25Mbps as their Top Tier for residential.. I was blown away.... Fast forward 10 years. 200Mbps is the norm, etc.

Obviously ATT Gigapower, google equivalent, etc etc are at 1Gbps/1Gbps. What is the next bump that they will do if they do? What are the limitations? We have the hardware for 10Gps now right? We have Cat 6/7 cabling or whatever.

And when I say "when is it coming"... I mean for the normal people like me.

School me.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I have basic Comcast, switching to ATT next week. So should be interesting to see what the speeds are then. I really don’t give a crap what my speeds are, but still would be interesting to see. ATT is $120 less a month for phone/internet/TV bundle.

DD7C6D8F-AA1F-42BC-9EF6-6026999471F0.png

Last edited:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

In comparison to about 2009, I had comcast 12Mbps... and they upgraded to 25Mbps as their Top Tier for residential.. I was blown away.... Fast forward 10 years. 200Mbps is the norm, etc.

Obviously ATT Gigapower, google equivalent, etc etc are at 1Gbps/1Gbps. What is the next bump that they will do if they do? What are the limitations? We have the hardware for 10Gps now right? We have Cat 6/7 cabling or whatever.

School me.

Backbones are 100GB now.

Cat7 still isn't recognized yet as a standard.

1GB I could see becoming standard for residential. 10GB LAN is starting to drop in price for equipment.

But the big advancement is wireless. You'll see more of that changing then wired currently.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
What a fucking Joke Comcast is.

They've recently changed their plans to offer even LESS upload that before. "Up to 10Mbits upload" for everything but Gig, what a joke.

I also just did a quick check and they are not advertising ANY internet only plans on their website. I assume this is so I have to call them up and they can try to sell me Cable TV which I don't want.

Also, the prices are the 2yr contract plans, so without contract tack on another $40 per month.

Internet PackageDownload Speeds Up toUpload Speeds Up toIntroductory Price
Performance Starter15 Mbps2 Mbps$29.99/mo.*
Performance Plus75 Mbps5 Mbps$29.99/mo.*
Performance Pro175 Mbps5 Mbps$34.99/mo.*
Blast! Pro275 Mbps10 Mbps$49.99/mo.*
Extreme Pro500 Mbps10 Mbps$60.00/mo.†
Gigabit1,000 Mbps35 Mbps$70.00/mo.†
Gigabit Pro2,000 Mbps2,000 Mbps$299.95/mo.‡§

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
ee becoming standard for residential. 10GB LAN is starting to drop in price for equipment.

But the big advancement is wireless. You'll see more of that changing then wired currently.
Wireless can be fast, but it will always suffer in environments with lots of competing signals. So even if the standard says it can compete it really can't.

I wish 10Gig networking wasn't so damned expensive. The industry has been terrible about adopting it. I wish I had 10Gig at home for the NAS, and between the main desktop.

The sad part is newer motherboards are finally coming equipped with 10Gig-E ports, but finding a switch that does 10Gig for a decent price is crazy. $300+ for some of the most basic offerings with sometimes less than 5 ports.

You are better off going full-on refurbished used enterprise grade stuff and doing 10Gig SFP so you can use Direct Attach Copper (DAC) cables.

But enterprise grade switches are rarely quiet or power efficient.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
You can make enterprise switches quiet. Cut a hole in the top and add bigger fans and get rid of the tiny fast loud ones.

5 GHz doesn't really compete with anything and signals are going to become stronger, more secure and with less interference. It's just a matter of time.

Everyone talks about wifi interference and it being slow, but realistically it works pretty well with plenty fast enough speeds for a vast majority of tasks.

If you have line of sight, wireless is as fast and more secure then fiber with current technologies.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI

School me.
Lord Tin Foilhat tinfoilhat would know better than me but the way I understand it is that even some of the 1gb/s stuff that's out there isn't "true" fiber - as in it's fiber to a box, and coax to your home. I have not been keeping up with the tech to be honest so I'm not sure I would be able to answer without doing some research.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Lord Tin Foilhat tinfoilhat would know better than me but the way I understand it is that even some of the 1gb/s stuff that's out there isn't "true" fiber - as in it's fiber to a box, and coax to your home. I have not been keeping up with the tech to be honest so I'm not sure I would be able to answer without doing some research.
Correct. As long as it's not older rg59 (even then I'm sure you could pull gig off it), then you should be able to pull gig over coax to certain lengths

Reactions: wombat

Thread Info