GM Ion Redline

Charlie_Boy7

Bacon FTW
Reaction score
Anybody have opinions on these? Supercharged and manual Trans. Friend of mine has one and I was thinking of buying it for my drive to Texas instead of putting the mileage on my GTP.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Good solid platform. Just ugly. Ive had 2 cobalts with the 2.0 sc ecotec and both have been super reliable.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
My brother bought that car from KJ, well... my parents did. He sold it for a stupid good price. I almost bought the car from my rents and gave my brother one of my other cars because it drove so nice. Those cars are reliable AF. The looks aren't the best, but my other brother has an SS cobalt with a handful of bolt-ons and his redline is actually faster (its stock) because of the 400lb difference in weight. Hate the look, but those extra doors are actually super convenient, you can get in the back seat so easily. I wouldn't hesitate a second to drive one across the country.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
My brother still owns said car years later and it's still just as awesome as it was when my dad and I bought it from KJ. I love KJ, he's my BFF.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
KJ is a down right good ass dude.

Bub

Pitter Patter
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted one. sc ecotec is the best tec

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
That's sooooo cool, and I can't stress how convenient that rear door is.

wombat

Donating Member
Reaction score
Another cobalt nutswinger here. Have owned 2 cobalt sc's and loved them both. As everyone's stated, reliable as fuck and are good little cars.

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
I owned a 2006 Cobalt SS with the g85 package (recaros and limited slip diff).. only had 5k miles on it.

I beat the fuck out of it and it loved it.. quick fun car, was very reliable. Only owned it til 15k miles though. I miss that one. Got like 22mpg CITY too.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
I owned a 07 Cobalt SS Supercharged, Mine was sadly a bit of a lemon, but Mechanically was very sound. They have some common 'wear' issue items (Lower control arm bushings come to mind), but nothing to steer clear of them over.

Mine had numerous electrical issues (Heated seats being stuck on, window switches being flaky), and the dealer had significant problems with the steering recalls (3 return trips).

ASIDE from the gremlins in mine, it was a fun and reliable little car. Interior quality is obviously Cobalt/Ion, which is not the pinnacle of craftsmanship, but they came with a lot of content for the money.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I owned a 07 Cobalt SS Supercharged, Mine was sadly a bit of a lemon, but Mechanically was very sound. They have some common 'wear' issue items (Lower control arm bushings come to mind), but nothing to steer clear of them over.

Mine had numerous electrical issues (Heated seats being stuck on, window switches being flaky), and the dealer had significant problems with the steering recalls (3 return trips).

ASIDE from the gremlins in mine, it was a fun and reliable little car. Interior quality is obviously Cobalt/Ion, which is not the pinnacle of craftsmanship, but they came with a lot of content for the money.
This solves that issue. Have them on the cobalt. awesome and easy to install

OTTP Spherical Control Arm Bushings

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i lost a rear brake caliper one day driving home. that was funny.

i'd rather have the ion over the cobalt just for the door/dent resistance and weight savings...

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
buddy of mine has a TVS blown 100k+mile cobalt ss.. took me to 140mph multiple times back to back to back.. car loved every bit of it and it kept pulling :rofl: The motors seem pretty bullet proof unless you get downright crazy with it (as any motor will)

OP
Charlie_Boy7

Charlie_Boy7

Bacon FTW
Reaction score
Sounds like I'm gonna wanna keep it. I originally was thinking I'd just sell it when I got back.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I had one also I bought it new in 04 or 05 it was a pretty good all around car peppy and fun, the only real issue i had with mine was the shift knob falling off not really an issue just confusing when its dark out and something lands in your lap

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom