• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I got bored....mostly machining content for no damn good reason

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
My kid has the razor mx350 dirtbike and I thought it would be fun to ride with him so I picked up a beat to shit mx500. I bought some new wires and had fun this summer with him although it will need new batteries.

There is a goup on FB of these guys that modify them, some mild and some pretty crazy. Saw a guy who made a lift for his by hand and though it was cool so I figured I would do it myself and raise it 1". Came out pretty good

And you want to talk about cheap....sheesh. One guy used a fucking door hinge
wtf.jpg

I did CNC plasma some 1/8" steel and welded a nut to try it out (this was my second attempt as the first one I used 3/16".
Qa3ZkDCaRnG+qRR49nefCQ.jpg
dtf7hiF6TJCuZQySVstDGw.jpg

then I figured WTF i have other cool tools so mocked something up in cad and 3d printed it just because
fullsizeoutput_218a.jpeg

TSm4TxUSRZyTUecIXVtuCg.jpg

then threw on some 1/4 aluminum on the baby router and let it run. Took about 40min each piece and needed some clean up
BXPQrQWqQMGy9guooM3PJg.jpg

1w+kBSCBRmG2LoJGcrDQgg.jpg

Going to throw it on tomorrow. Was debating on swapping it for a gas motor but everyone says they run slower.....so the ego 56v batteries might be getting put on this thing. Some guys are getting theirs up to 30mph. haha

The other thing I played with is making a different size front sprocket. I used my phone gps and rode it up/down the street seeing the top speed and acceleration to find what worked best.
Probably could of machined it but its literally a 15 second cut on the plasma and a few minutes to clean up.
Tv0Q4IiSQzCd6RkAm7xisQ.jpg

FYI I'm a total machining newb and teaching myself. Here are a few other things I've made recently
n5fooUvUS821Lk7ABeuVRQ.jpg

UTr%YgCsT9WcqZLLvMmKmg.jpg

j0ZDoX9DSxG7MKHs4cDRyA.jpg

And 3d printed a bunch of hooks. This one is for the kid to hang his helmet on and I made a bunch more to sell that will hold the helmet and keys. Wildly strong too for being 3d printed out of PETG
M09CfdskQdOZMj3oUICS2A.jpg

Also last week went on a cleaning spree of the kitchen counter and was sick of having stuff pile up. I ordered an undercabinet mount for paper towels, a folding banana rack and then made an undercabinet mount for the alexa. Not going to lie it looks simple but shit did it take a lot of time to bend it and I quickly realized that my powder coating skills suck as I haven't done it in years so as long as nobody looks at the bottom it will pass the visual inspection from a distance.
fullsizeoutput_218b.jpeg

Really hoping i may be able to pick up a simple small production run for someone soon along with piece welding but haven't had much luck yet. For now just fun crap

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Some guy hit me up and wanted a few of these brackets to sell with his kit. While I could of done them on the mill I didn't want to sit down and do more CAM or cut plates even though it probably would have taken 5min each piece. I just kept the same program on the router and hit cut and walked away. Maybe every 30min to an hour I'd drop in the garage and vacuum up chips, but when it was done I just jogged it over, reset, hit cut and walked away. I slowed it way down but it took about an hour each one. But I didn't really have to do anything. After it was done I cleaned up the edges and faces which took about 1-2min each. Didn't make much but I also didn't work too hard either. $10 each was fine for now.
hUIkH7ajSlOuo+66TENdtw.jpg

MK14Hoi4QkCMdqWGUH4Ohg.jpg

This cap I made awhile ago. Some companies make full replacements I made it as a press fit cap over the existing one. Should of been done in a lathe but it was another first project. So I did the bottom opening, flipped it and did the top. Then put it in the manual lathe and hand cut the recess in the top and the contoured edge. Flipped it around and got some sandpaper and opened it up slowly...very slowly. Test fit on the OEM cap until I got a nice snug fit to where you can get it off but it won't vibrate off. Made a few of them, might make more. Just gotta remember how the hell I made them. The whole flipping a piece and lining it back up perfectly fucks with my head every damn time.
Made the bracket too but not happy with it at all. Was going to weld it together like this but now I'm thinking maybe not. There is a guy who makes a nice one of these and and i think he is getting a solid $75 a piece. I just can't for some reason sit down and make the same thing over and over again. Like I try once and fail or twice and its ok and I'm ready to go onto something else.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3aad.jpg

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Those are pretty bad ass for a simple little plasma and deburr job.

do you do this for fun on your own time?
damn, it won't let me upload a video.
These are stainless and stainless cuts pretty bad in most cases but these came out good. Sanded the top, flap disc the sides and back and then air filed under the F to make it easier to use.
I have this setup at home and use it all the time. Mainly to make my stuff easier to build without hand cutting. I did have a bunch of customers but I sick of doing signs (cutting is fine but I hate painting). And sadly I've lost a lot of customers due to their business taking off and they just buy their own machine or just outsource to a laser company.

Pretty much the one customer I have left outsourced all his stuff to a water jet guy except for 1 part which I make for him and it's very few and far between.
I've love to get more business cutting brackets and things like that and being able to sell it right off the table without cleanup but kind of hard to get those jobs. No idea how everyone else does it.
I only made these because someone else asked and wanted stainless so I got 25 shipped for the pair which i'm very happy with

Here are some other pics I found on my phone. The mustang sign I did for a friend. Paid someone else to draw it, came out ok. Not crazy about it.Takes me hours to draw something since I go a little OCD on it

fullsizeoutput_ff4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1027.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1028.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1029.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_102a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_102b.jpeg

WEtOcP+KSbSrqWZy5cISqg.jpg

agpuj0vXTCq6KwRrzB+kCg.jpg

p+sBZfNoRW+S%NSs7E1hoA.jpg

gMYFJPqNT0q0BTB7yzqj2A.jpg

Hkq4h4i4ScqEFCDytumfIA.jpg

fYpUdWR8TW2Gyuqdkppdmg.jpg

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Is that a CNC plasma table I see?
yeah I have a 2x2 plasma table, it's about 10years old but still works well.

right now I have
torchmate 2x2 plasma table
Tormach 770
1000mm x-carve
tormach xstech CNC router
prusa mini 3d printer
2 tig welders and 1 mig welder

Debating on selling the xstech in favor of another brand or a small CNC lathe
this is all just hobby. places with big tables and laser took all the business so now it sits and collects dust unless I want to make something. it's now a literal nightmare fighting for work especially with steel prices. I had a local who wanted a 17" gear.... my steel cost was $96 and a laser shop quoted him $65 plus shipping for the part. It's really really annoying. I had a good thing going making spark plug covers until some dude with a bigger table copied my designs and sold for $5 cheaper than me and that was about that. So all hobby unless someone wants something.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
a few more from awhile ago
the ring and pen were my first projects on a harbor freight 7x10 lathe. super fun to make but I sold it, got a 8x12 then sold that one. honestly hate being without a lathe. so much fun and useful for stupid shit.
that was a coolant tank for a galant vr4

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0119.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1960.jpeg

IMG_1958.jpeg

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I wouldn’t mind throwing some money your way for an overflow tank. I’d probably need to bring my 71 to you and we would have to figure out where and how to mount it. Rather give the little guy money then Summit or Jegs
yeah sure. probably easiest to come up with something out of cardboard first
Oh shit, you do wood as well? Might need a decent size Impala logo when I redo my trunk.
The little router did the eagles but the x-carve is mainly for wood. I think it can do 29"x29" or so they claim. I dont know for sure. I'm still tweaking and playing with it. the last owner had it all hacked together.
How do you like the Tormach 770? The impluse buyer side of me is so tempted to pick up either a new Tormach or a gently used (cheaper) Haas.
So this is my 3rd mill but that means nothing. the first one was a maxnc that UPS dropped and broke. Second was a Taig and then I stumbled across this. It's wayyyyyy more machine that I could ever use or need. Pathpilot is pretty awesome, it's rigid, I love how it runs on 110v. I almost never see any used ones for sale. I was thinking about selling it for this that was just announced mainly because I want a real enclosure and Tormach wants $3k for theirs. But if I had nothing and was on a budget I'd get another Taig (if you dont mind doing upgrades and having slower speeds) or this https://www.langmuirsystems.com/mr1
I'm in no way shape or form a machinist and even the most basic 440 can do things well beyond my skillset.

Reactions: PJx5x and Shawn1112

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Did these two over the weekend at the same time on different machines
Toad is 2color hdpe and cut with a 1/8 single flute. Came out ok but I hit my fixture plate…umm oops. This was done on the xstech

The paw was my first mildly successful cut on the xcarve. 3/4” walnut with .5deep pockets with a 2fl 1/4” end mill. Still needs a little more Hand sanding then I have to find a nice oil to put on it. Not a clue wtf im actually going to do with it. Maybe I’ll toss it on Etsy and recoup my money for the wood

4CE2AD6F-7F82-4BFA-8CF7-A5BD587A3658.jpeg

AC53E95A-DC10-459C-866C-4485E90B766D.jpeg

Thread Info