• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I got bored....mostly machining content for no damn good reason

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
That machine looks like a beast. Priced well too, at least compared to the new inventables x-carve that is about double the cost
It's a rock solid machine. Hard to find one with a table that large for the price. Friend of mine runs a business out of his house, thing runs 8-10 hours a day and has been for like a year with any major hiccups.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
It's a rock solid machine. Hard to find one with a table that large for the price. Friend of mine runs a business out of his house, thing runs 8-10 hours a day and has been for like a year with any major hiccups.
Look at the Langmuir systems mr-1 if you want to do metal. Says should ship in august, about the same price as the Shapeoko. Just nice to have an enclosure

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
One day someone is going to find my body buried under a pile of tools, tooling and machinery.

I have a rough set of dxf for building my own 5 foot Bridge Gantry (6x4x3/8 tube) machine using physical ball-bearing track trolleys instead of linear bearings For a real sturdy long travel Z.
My goal is to build it with a 5 ft long bed that would let me hang 8 ft Material off of it.

I look at our haas machines and the cost of decent 50 mm linear bearings, ballscrews and cringe.

With the water jet machines I'm always fixing at work I have been able to build fantastic 3D printers I know I can build a fantastic milling machine..... its programming the firmware on the duet control boards that is the fun part

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I have an offer on the table for my tormach xstech but if anyone local wants it I'd rather not deal with shipping. Its been great and has no issues but the junkie I am I want to try something else just for fun

here are the details

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
this went great...until it didn't
on the flip side it flew out of the vise, second attempt the WCS was off. So entire thing is scrap. Will try again tomorrow

IMG_0486.jpeg

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
cam clamps actuating actual jaws on that surface plate? or is the vise screw just out of frame? looks awefully low profile

this is what it is. Works ok. I dont feel bad that I ran it over with an end mill since the jaws are cheap

Mine is aluminum so it wasn't that much money

softjaws are $15

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Older Omax machines are more betters.

The only thing nice about our newer machine is the pump is a little bit easier to work on. On the other hand they added 26 leak points with the overhead arms to feed to The Cutting head with all the swivels instead of a single flexible line.

Don't get me wrong it's nice it does not impart side loading on the z-axis but how often is a .030 tolerance shift across an 8ft piece or part going to be an issue... it's only an issue for the f****** idiots that spec plus or minus .010 on weldments.... and us poor bastards that have to make it to that shit.

I've been saving parts and such to build my own machine using a Triplex commercial pressure washer.... but I came across an old 2652 that would only hit me 22 Grand at one point....

The reality is it would be a lot cheaper and easier for me to use the machines at work to build me a large Gantry router to do the limited amount of brackets I do for 3d printers and cars..... list of the whole sand and mud thing. I can deal with chips

Reactions: Gamble

Thread Info