• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I got bored....mostly machining content for no damn good reason

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
Yeah the water jet makes a mess. We have a Mitsubishi Fiber laser but cut mostly thinner sheetmetal.

I’ve seen a bunch of people have work shops in their garage, small cnc, ect. At that point if your concerned with higher dollar equipment you can section 179 it and write it off (if you have the means to pay cash or finance).

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I listed my baby mill for sale

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
Interest in a cnc lathe?

9E934586-2838-46F8-ABEE-31A62638D1A2.jpeg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Older Omax machines are more betters.

The only thing nice about our newer machine is the pump is a little bit easier to work on. On the other hand they added 26 leak points with the overhead arms to feed to The Cutting head with all the swivels instead of a single flexible line.

Don't get me wrong it's nice it does not impart side loading on the z-axis but how often is a .030 tolerance shift across an 8ft piece or part going to be an issue... it's only an issue for the f****** idiots that spec plus or minus .010 on weldments.... and us poor bastards that have to make it to that shit.

I've been saving parts and such to build my own machine using a Triplex commercial pressure washer.... but I came across an old 2652 that would only hit me 22 Grand at one point....

The reality is it would be a lot cheaper and easier for me to use the machines at work to build me a large Gantry router to do the limited amount of brackets I do for 3d printers and cars..... list of the whole sand and mud thing. I can deal with chips
You’re a mad scientist.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
why the hell does laser never seem to make round holes?
something like that from 3/16ths ss would be 2-3 minutes in my beatup 1996 Omax 50kpsi but i run at 45 cause she's cranky
the newer 60kpsi machine can probably swing 1.5 minutes.

this was a damn good thread idea

This is the dxf of the newest revision to the Ford Mustang centrifugal on a Grand Pricks mount.

20220508_105716.jpg

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
do you do sheet metal? need some bending too, want to make an rf amp chassis.
I have a 12" brake. It's nothing special, but small light bends it works fine. I think I did dent a die first time using it on something I shouldn't have been using it on
I got this 2 years ago for $286 delivered. Can't believe it's nearly 400 now. This inflation shit is getting real old real quick

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
why the hell does laser never seem to make round holes?
something like that from 3/16ths ss would be 2-3 minutes in my beatup 1996 Omax 50kpsi but i run at 45 cause she's cranky
the newer 60kpsi machine can probably swing 1.5 minutes.

this was a damn good thread idea

This is the dxf of the newest revision to the Ford Mustang centrifugal on a Grand Pricks mount.

View attachment 119123
I would LOVE to own that small 2'x2' Omax. I hear they are bit messy. I really considered the wazer when it was first coming out, but now they doubled the price after the first year and if you dont buy it brand new they won't support you. The cut times are incredibly slow, so slow I'd lose money. I remember the aluminum bike sprocket they cut out in their commercial looked good until you did the math and realized that it cost $30 of garnet (I think thats what they call it)

I've seen some laser stuff spot on and some like shit. Same with any operator, depends on how fast you want to cut and how detailed you want to get. One of my old customers got a laser and does killer work. he also got a CNC brake press too. So if you guys need laser work drop him a line. I think this is his old site but he checks it still http://engineering-awesome.com

So that was 52sec at 75ipm at 45amps which is kind of my safe speed. I probably could of gotten it quicker like 45seconds but I don't care about cut time. I dont like clean up. So any chance I can ship something right off the table I'm all about it. The 3/16 cuts the best. 1/4 is hit or miss and 1/8 has a bit of dross sometimes. My plasma should be able to do 1/2 pretty well but I've never been able to do it, hell 3/8 cuts like shit and I don't know why. Maybe it's just tired too. I didn't even bother nesting these parts. I cut one to see how it did, jogged it over, started again, rinse repeat. took more time to tape up the box and print out the label.

I had a customer who bought a shit ton of brackets similar to these from me. I gave them to him dirt cheap like $6-8 each (before prices went through the roof so like 3-4 years ago) then one day he disappeared and found a water jet guy. These big companies make parts cheaper than I can buy material for, it sucks. The markup on metal is ridiculous

Local high school kid wanted a gear cut for his robotics class project but didn't have funds. laser company would of spit it out for $65, my cost on the material alone was $96.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
new machine day. (new one on the right)
24k rpm spindle about the same wattage of power as the other but should have loads more torque

little more z travel
little more y travel
lot less x travel

Looks mildly beefy, well much more than the other
Almost wondering if I should add another block of aluminum front to back under it or make some bolt on gussets for each corner to stiffen it up

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0788.jpeg

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Looks cool af but I went and looked at the price tag.
Baron Vaughn GIF by NETFLIX
Really? I think it's cheap for what it is
So it comes with a license for alibre cad/cam which they sell for 400. I assume it's the same license

Also includes the bit zero which they sell for 120

it's 1 big ass 80+lb box and shipping is included and I have to imagine they are spending minimal $100 to ship it

Reactions: Jon01

Thread Info