I DEFINITELY made a mistake, aka 'Dasfinc has mental issues'

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Should have just went with an old Expedition again if you getting rid of ranger (toy) and want to toy something. I have had multiple explorers and would not want to tow much of anything with them. Especially a reasonably sized travel trailer/camper if that's what you were looking at. At least you still have the stang :jg:

The Misses REALLY didn't want anything as large as the Burban or Expedition; so since I have no payment on this, it was a happy middle ground.

I don't plan on towing anything significant size wise (car trailer, or a SMALL camper if we get one).

The thought was get something big enough to haul the trailer we could get basically for free; but it would require a significantly sized truck that we couldn't afford comfortably in cash. Flip-Side, buy switching to the 4 door cooper, it means we now have 2 comfortable family vehicles instead of just one big ass truck as the 'only' family vehicle.

I personally LOVE explorers; they are simple and easy to work on, parts are cheap and plentiful, and they are reasonably capable (especially for the price of entry).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Torsion Crank and Rancho 5000 series shocks - DONE super early AM today before work, front now sits level driver side was 33 inches from ground to top of wheel arch, now sits at 35. Passenger side was 33.5, also now sitting at 35.

The Pass rear is 33 currently, and driver rear is 32.5, so the Shackles and Add-A-Leaf may not be sufficent. I think I'm going to do just the shackles for now; and then buy new leaf packs as they are only like $120 each from Rock Auto, and put the Add-A-Leaf on the new springs, which should bring my tail up to 35.5 on both sides (give or take).

I have the shackles disconnected from the frame; but they were seized to the leafs, so I soaked them in PB and will cut them off tomorrow if I can't get them to let go.

Worst case - the truck sits until I order new leaf packs :dunno:, but after rolling around under it, everything seems to be in pretty good shape, so I'm pretty stoked.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
New rear stabilizer shock, and a pair of 9000 series adjustable Rancho's for the rear also all arriving this week.

Should be a solid 2 inch lift in the front from the TT, and 3 inch in the back, including all new shocks AND leafs for around $560. I think from a 'freshening up' perspective along with the lift for the money I'm pretty happy.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I don't understand why you don't want to finish the Ranger, doe.

I will finish the Ranger (dunno if you saw the last post of mine in that thread); I'm going to tow it down to store it at the in-law's Farm in Galesburg for the next year or so, and then bring it back up here and finish it.

Having something that can haul crap, tow trailers, and haul a family (Car Trailer, or small camper) is also more important for the next 2-3 years than having an extended cab ranger that has a VERY narrow window of usefulness.

This also means that I can be more track-focused with the Ranger when I circle back around to finish it up since I have this truck now for general 'crap' hauling and daily duty and won't need to make compromises with the Ranger.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
OHHH SNAP. :noes:

Flip-Side; $ permitting, I could turn it into a Lemons racer... I have 'positive equity' into the truck selling the V-6 parts off of the truck (Sold the Transmission, radiator, back glass *came with 2*, and will be able to sell the rear end as well).

$500 budget isn't bad when the rolling shell is basically like -$300 currently budget, which would give me $800 of 'budget', which would be plenty on paper to get it drivable with a V-8 under the hood, and a 5 speed behind it (which I already have all of :hs:)

Granted that's outside of safety equipment, and wheels/tires/etc.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Don't do that. There are teams of people that pay for the cars to get done for Lemons, and I think the entry fee is 1/2 the price your wife paid for her new car. So... IDK if that's a good idea. Maybe a fun weekend track day truck would be a better goal?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
maxresdefault.jpg

Thread Info