Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Retired older couple, probably not computer savvy.

Also, the original asking price is waaaaaaay higher than most other second gen explorers, so probably nobody else is asking them about it. I'm extremely grateful that the accepted my low ball.

Ya I figured. I picked up my mountaineer with 117k on it. Was in excellent condition for 1600 local in Wheaton. They are good value for the money and solid drivers.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Can you get the rev. Light signal power at the fuse panel?

One path for it is straight into the firewall connector 'bus', and into the engine bay (so from the trans), and into the main 'bundle' under the driver side kick panel which is a biotch to pull apart. It never passes through the in-car fuse panel I don't think (the under hood panel is just on the other side of the firewall).

With some nicer weather I'll pull that apart and find the signal wire, I'm a fan of clean installs, so I'd rather not ghetto rig this. Since I'll have to pull some trim I can run the camera wire correctly as well that way.

I also have 2 nice kicker replacement speakers for the front at least.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
that's like similar to my poser truck

The AWD Xfer case in these things OBLITERATE the mileage. Its a 35/65% split if I recall correctly, its not really a sophisticated 'on-demand' type system, it has some kind of Viscous coupling thingy.

Lots of guys on the Explorer boards that actually off-road install the Manual BW Case from an F-150, and they see low 20's on the highway even with larger tires because there is so much less drag/loss. 2WD V8 second gen Explorers are in the same camp and see dramatically better mileage, but they are especially rare here in the Midwest.

Your truck is also 10 years newer :wavey:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
10 years newer yeah, but a fullsize gas one ton truck bus

Yeaaaaaaaa, I've never Touted Explorers for their Economy :bowrofl:

They were rated 16/20 when new, and I'm sure I could kiss 20 doing 55 on the highway. Lifted doing 75mph its a solid 17.5.....

I can't fathom ever seeing above 15 in this thing around town though with the AWD though. If this one sticks around I'd love to do the Manual Trans and Manual Xfer case conversion, its pretty well documented.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Explorer's been earning its keep the past few weeks of home depot runs, 'rescue missions' and general errand running.

This past weekend I brought home 1100lbs of bagged mulch INSIDE the truck (full to the ceiling). The Overload springs on fresh leaf packs make a dramatic impact on being able to have decent ride quality despite probably clipping GVWR.

Going to cave and do general maintenance things this weekend;

Rotors/Pads
Replace the crusty brake line that goes across the rear axle
Front Speakers
Backup Camera wiring
Oil Change

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Welp; since Photobucket is hosed; here is current state -

New upper control arms, new rotors, and Hawk HD Pads.

Brand New rear brake line for the rear end cross-over, and a fresh bleed of fluid.

No more squeaky front end, and no more garbage brakes!

8VJHTZK.jpg

pTKOlqh.jpg

Next Up; Body Lift, Manual Transfer case conversion, and 33's.

Thread Info