• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How to get around emissions?

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
as long as you have no CEL you pass and they are turned on.

a car with no cats with proper tune should pass. if not there is a way around it.

reset your CEL , drive for aprox 100 miles (will vary by manufacturer) drive into test facility, be tested, drive away. your CEL should come on right after testing. Id suggest a few mock runs before going. you can buy an inexpensive obd scanner at harbor freight, or I have one that can be used. my Z with no cats and turbo will pass

get dustd

Aug 28, 2015
Bringing this back up...I will need to figure this out this winter. If I register a car up at my uncles house in McHenry or a friends house do I have to change my ID to that address etc.? Anyone know what would be involved in that? Can I just say I store the car there and it is primarily driven there? I am not looking to have any mileage restrictions or weird insurance but I am putting an ls1 in an m5 with a pro efi ecu...so there is no chance of passing. When they hook it up it will show the ecu is non existant. The family has a place up in LG but I really do not want Wisconsin plates. Those people are too friendly...it scares me. Anyone got any info that may help ease my concerns?
Years ago I had a friend get some sort of race car exemption. Anyone know anything about that?

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
Years ago I had a friend get some sort of race car exemption. Anyone know anything about that?

Buddy of mine was telling me about this at Chubby's last week. Apparently he got the exemption pretty easily. Threw some vinyl numbers on his car, took pictures of the exterior, turbo, gutted interior, etc. And got a 2 year exemption. I guess you can use pictures from the track too.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Bringing this back up...I will need to figure this out this winter. If I register a car up at my uncles house in McHenry or a friends house do I have to change my ID to that address etc.? Anyone know what would be involved in that? Can I just say I store the car there and it is primarily driven there? I am not looking to have any mileage restrictions or weird insurance but I am putting an ls1 in an m5 with a pro efi ecu...so there is no chance of passing. When they hook it up it will show the ecu is non existant. The family has a place up in LG but I really do not want Wisconsin plates. Those people are too friendly...it scares me. Anyone got any info that may help ease my concerns?
I simply registered my car at a friends house out west. I have not changed anything on my drivers license or insurance. Now obviously my cars registration has my name and my friends home address since it's registered there. Other than that. Good to go.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

fwiw my house in mchenry has emissions testing.

FWIW, for the mustang guys, if the tune simply turns off the post cat o2 sensors, it will trip the emissions readiness in the ECU and you will not pass. The rear o2 sensors must be turned on in the tune. 96-04 guys can use plug and play MIL eliminators with no problem, 05+ will need to get a rig up the sparkplug defouler as mentioned previously.

Or just find a buddy with property in a rural MO county and register the car there. If you arent in STL or KC, MO could care less if you run open headers

get dustd

Aug 28, 2015
Bringing this up from the dead: I am within months of firing up the car and started looking into plates. The racecar exemption is a good option for a racecar that you drive on the street occasionally. You have to provide proof of a special limited use insurance policy every two years. That can get you into trouble if something happens driving to work or something. This is a car I will probably drive a ton when it is nice out. The best option is to register to someone else's house who does not have emissions testing requirements. You can just say you store the car there so you registered it there or something.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Your only recourse is to register the car in a non-emissions county.

Piggybacking a PCM seems an awful lot of trouble.

I drive my car with Show Car /Race Car insurance a ton. Never had an issue. I still have the car listed with that policy. Even when I got a speeding ticket with it once.

Granted, my GTA is a 1989 car, so its OBD1 and exempt from emissions now entirely.

The RS I have listed with regular insurance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info