• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How to get around emissions?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
How did you go about registering at a different address than your own? I've been thinking about registering my Mustang to my parent's house in WI.

Very simple. Go to the Wisconsin DMV with proof of address and say you moved to Wisconsin and need to get plates. I did this with my Mustang as my parents have a place in Wisconsin. As I recall you'll need to transfer the title over to Wisconsin too.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Very simple. Go to the Wisconsin DMV with proof of address and say you moved to Wisconsin and need to get plates. I did this with my Mustang as my parents have a place in Wisconsin. As I recall you'll need to transfer the title over to Wisconsin too.

So what did you do...have one of their bills put in your name or something? To provide proof of address.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
So what did you do...have one of their bills put in your name or something? To provide proof of address.

They didn't even ask for that. Just had to fill out the paperwork. The Wisconsin DMV is nothing like the cesspool of inept Govt employees run by Jesse White. The USPS lost my Mustang's WI yearly sticker and I called and spoke to a very pleasant DMV women who sent out a replacement right away. Plus the sticker is cheaper than IL and it goes to a State that doesn't pillage from the taxpayers.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
They didn't even ask for that. Just had to fill out the paperwork. The Wisconsin DMV is nothing like the cesspool of inept Govt employees run by Jesse White. The USPS lost my Mustang's WI yearly sticker and I called and spoke to a very pleasant DMV women who sent out a replacement right away. Plus the sticker is cheaper than IL and it goes to a State that doesn't pillage from the taxpayers.
Thanks for the info, I'll be doing this in the spring for sure.

Depends on car/computer. First of all you need to inquire about the process. Heck use a college class route to get all the rules ut should be online. And do you take to a refereee station or certified business for test. MOST emission tests are OBD2 port plug and go, no sniffer test.
If just plug and play someone should be able to make ecu give a test passed.
Sniffer tests without cats can be tricky but some people pass by reflash and tank of E85 or E100 ethanol. But from my last certification (and i live in Indiana so we dont get that BS)
IF all they look for is no emissions codes and all OBD2 tests passed should be pretty easy to pass. Also take bit of knowledge to understand the strategy used for emission compliance.
Fella over on theturboforums.com has GTA firebird, twin turbo, and all he had to do was throw his old cat on which was actually two cats but there he lives in Spokane wash and all they did was run sniffer tests.
Do some research, find out WHAT your required to do if its all plug and pass its easy, if you have equipment inspections then your moving to different column of dificulty.
I figure if i can take my recently aquired 04 GP and used what ever tuning set up be it DHP or HPT and just adjust tahles that affect running Iam ok as most tests just look at evaporative emissions and if rear O2 test has ran, well and EGR. And as long as the computer reports tests ran/passed most cars are golden. And besides most cars properly tuned for cruise efficiency would pass tail pipe with no cats.
So learn WHAT they look for and then figure out if you can pass.
Me and a friend several years back were trying to develop aa stand alone evap sytem for California applications even had control box able to report several ways of having rans test. We based its parameters on old Toyota test, it had a small pressure vacuum pump. And when your ignition signal goes away, And temps were in warmer range it would vent all vapors through large elagantly made charcoal canister, then after temp cool off it it closes purge/vaporports and puts small vacuump on tank, if it passes then it puts small pressure on tank to look for tiny leaks. The idea is a vapor recovery doesnt allow straight gas vapor to float out into air it goes through the activated charcoal canister. Then after you start vehicle it opens vent/purge solenoids aand through a calibrated orrifice it allows engine vacuum to pull fresh air through vapor canister, thus any in there are drawn into engine and burned. After a set amount of time it will close switch to venting vapors to canister again or engine. All this allows only minimum amount of air to draw through recovery system. One we built we even worked it into functioning with stock 71 Monte Carlo vapor can behind back seat. But that guy lived in a nazi southern/ midwest/western area. He got around sniffer test by setting car up to run on E85, but would load up on E100 for test. Ethanol passes pretty easy if car can tune for it.
Rest of time he ran 92/94 pump gas!

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Joe1j_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

get dustd

Aug 28, 2015
Just so this is a useful search, I did do the racecar exemption and the process has changed. It is one simple form and does not change the type of license plate you get. No pictures or rollbars required. As far as I can see if I got pulled over there would be no way the cop could see I was racecar exempt considering it does not tell them if you haven't passed emissions and that is why your sticker is out of date. I have to fill out the form every year though but I have no other option.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Just so this is a useful search, I did do the racecar exemption and the process has changed. It is one simple form and does not change the type of license plate you get. No pictures or rollbars required. As far as I can see if I got pulled over there would be no way the cop could see I was racecar exempt considering it does not tell them if you haven't passed emissions and that is why your sticker is out of date. I have to fill out the form every year though but I have no other option.

Did you have to go to the DMV, or could you do it online?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Do you anticipate throwing a cel?

Depends on your definition of throwing a cel. All the major tunes such as JB4 and BootMod3 keep all emissions tests in standby mode, which will not pass emissions. You won't throw a code on the dash, but you'll never pass. I'll probably try one of those O2 sensor spacers if/when I get the downpipes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info