How to get around emissions?

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:wavey:
Been doing a little car shopping and I've been coming across cars that aren't IL emissions legal. It was never really a big issue in the past, but I know that they made some changes within recent years that voids the test if you have any systems/sensors disabled through a tune (I've seen it with the mustang guys, I assume it applies to everyone?)
Anyway, I know some people are able to register out of state, but I thought you had to prove residency and I was under the impression that it isnt always so easy. I'm also aware that some people are able to get a show-car exemption, but I've been told that there is some sort of mileage limitation and I'm wondering how the show car status would affect insurance rates. Input/experiences welcome. :jg:

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Do what I did. Register it at Eagles house. Done.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aww what the fuck. Why does he get exemption but I dont? I thought it was by county..

lastls1

Reaction score
What kind of cars were you looking at?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
Donating Member
Reaction score
I lived in Kane county @ my parents house ( near Randall Rd and Rt 20 ) and had to test my car.

Moved 6-8 miles west to Pingree Grove ( still Kane county ) and have NOT been sent a notice for the car or the truck.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
No problem with emissions and I don't have cats.

What is the issue wit the cars you are buying?

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No problem with emissions and I don't have cats.

What is the issue wit the cars you are buying?
No cats. With my previous car, it wasn't an issue until they made some revisions with the testing. I really don't want to buy something only to have to hunt down a stock exhaust and find someone to turn the o2 sensors on just for emissions.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get the exemption from the state and a show car insurance policy.
Mentioned in the first post. Is that what you did with skeezer v.1? I have to find out more about mileage limitations and how the cost compares to traditional policies.

skeezer

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
I did that with the TA. Tom does it with his C5.

The show policy was cheap. You'd have to talk to your insurance about any kind of mileage restrictions.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
I looked at those policies and hated them. Almost all of them won't let you drive your car to work at all and basically can only drive it to car shows.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
If I can't drive it to grocery stores or to drop the kid off at school then I guess I'm out.:rofl:

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah thats bogus. I'd assume the policies vary depending on provider.

paging [MENTION=1909]utryd2[/MENTION]

Carls2001ws6

Reaction score
Speed Inc tuned out emissions shit for me years ago, I just had to take my car in and had no problems.

headers, no post O2 sensors, no cats, no muffler, LS1 car, loud as hell.

from what I understand as long as there are no emission codes in your computer you're good to go.

utryd2

Reaction score
All depends on your insurance. You just have to ask what your limitations on driving it are. I don't have any mileage restriction, and I can cruise it wherever I want. Also it's cheap as fuck. I also added extra coverage for parts and it's still way cheaper than a regular policy.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
So what provider? I have heard Grundy Insurance might be a little more flexible but haven't confirmed yet.

I pay 437 per year for full coverage but I'd love to pay the same or less for more coverage without restrictions or at least not too many.

Attachments

utryd2

Reaction score
Allstate. I also got a quote from Haggerty when I was looking for more additional parts coverage than the 20k allstate is limited to. From what Haggerty said they have no limitations and I can go as high as I'd like with parts coverage in the event it's wrecked or stolen. The cost was a lot more though.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Haggery is a ton of cash, but probably worth it for the super rare, exotic, or collector car. I also got a quote.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
Reaction score
Speed Inc tuned out emissions shit for me years ago, I just had to take my car in and had no problems.

headers, no post O2 sensors, no cats, no muffler, LS1 car, loud as hell.

from what I understand as long as there are no emission codes in your computer you're good to go.
Mike Post @ dynotuneMP has the emissions tune all figured out on the stangs.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Guys are passing with off road mid pipes. Get the rear o2 back on in the tune, drill out spark plug de foulers to fit the rear o2 sensors and do the drive cycle.

rz79

Reaction score
Mike Post @ dynotuneMP has the emissions tune all figured out on the stangs.
Fixed me up. All O2 sensors turned on and seen by computer, no cats and NO CEL. Boom.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom