HBO / MAX House of the Dragon

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I just need to cut the fucking cord. Why am I paying $100+/mo for cable that I don't even watch.
That's kind of what I did.. Was getting a sweet deal on satellite, then they wouldn't play ball after being a customer for almost 20 years. Went streaming and just share some creds with a few friends. To make it easy we all pick a streaming service that are within $2-3 of each other.

I would drop my main package to the minimum, but it would legitimately knock out 75% of the channels I do watch.

When my dad's promotional first year of cable runs out he's going to dump the TV and switch to what I'm using, then split the bill.

On topic note, I did finally catch the first episode, need to watch the second since I was out of town. Sad to say I'm already tired of the dark (literally) scenes. I know they didn't have electric light back then, but fuck I'm tired of straining my eyes.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
???

Screensho.JPEG

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
That's kind of what I did.. Was getting a sweet deal on satellite, then they wouldn't play ball after being a customer for almost 20 years. Went streaming and just share some creds with a few friends. To make it easy we all pick a streaming service that are within $2-3 of each other.

I would drop my main package to the minimum, but it would legitimately knock out 75% of the channels I do watch.

When my dad's promotional first year of cable runs out he's going to dump the TV and switch to what I'm using, then split the bill.

On topic note, I did finally catch the first episode, need to watch the second since I was out of town. Sad to say I'm already tired of the dark (literally) scenes. I know they didn't have electric light back then, but fuck I'm tired of straining my eyes.

Yeah, my brother and sister in law dropped cable TV and got Youtube TV. Said they love it. Its still quite a bit of money though. I really want to get the antenna and go OTA into a DVR hooked to my Plex server. Record all OTA shows and.....procure the rest.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, my brother and sister in law dropped cable TV and got Youtube TV. Said they love it. Its still quite a bit of money though. I really want to get the antenna and go OTA into a DVR hooked to my Plex server. Record all OTA shows and.....procure the rest.
I did a cheap indoor OTA, mounted it in my attic, ran to my TV. Could run it to Plex if I had a card for it. Antenna was inexpensive, like $30? Gets me a ton of local, I'd say at least 60-70 channels (including all the sub channels). The hardest one to get is Channel 2 (CBS) and its subs. Due to its digital broadcast frequency most OTA exclude it. Plus, we're at the outer threshold from the transmitters downtown, like very edge. From an east-west perspective anything west of County Farm Rd is a gamble, and you need to have elevation.

Good topic for a different thread.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I did a cheap indoor OTA, mounted it in my attic, ran to my TV. Could run it to Plex if I had a card for it. Antenna was inexpensive, like $30? Gets me a ton of local, I'd say at least 60-70 channels (including all the sub channels). The hardest one to get is Channel 2 (CBS) and its subs. Due to its digital broadcast frequency most OTA exclude it. Plus, we're at the outer threshold from the transmitters downtown, like very edge. From an east-west perspective anything west of County Farm Rd is a gamble, and you need to have elevation.

Good topic for a different thread.

This is all good information to know. We are west of county farm, but literally maybe a quarter mile west, but probably another mile north of you. Basically a block away from the HP water tower. Will probably need to see before I make the commitment to spending money on equipment.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Finally decided to buy HBOmax again, partly because AMEX had an offer to give me a chunk of money back off the subscription. Looking forward to watching this.

hbo has a ui / recommendation / retention problem. people are much more likely to fire up netflix for some random shit than they are hbo, and the ui/search makes even finding stuff occasionally a pain. they basically have this thing with halo content, where people will sign up to watch game of thrones, then eventually wean off. people will flip signing on and off hbo for specific things vs. just keeping netflix.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Thread Info