Help me with cars

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Current ride: 2010 535i, tuned, 14mpg because I beat the snot out of it.

So now that we're in LA I'm driving a lot more and I'm not entirely sold on my current car situation. The smart money would be on selling the car and getting a Prius but I'm just not going to do that. So let's scratch that.

So I pose a challenge to TCG. I'm looking for something quick (sub 5.5 second 0-60) that gets excellent gas mileage, that is a luxury car. I don't need to sell my car and I'm not sure I even want to but an $600 gas bill every month is hard to look at.

Call me predictable but I keep coming back to the Model S. It checks all the boxes for me. Luxurious, handles amazingly, get's amazing mileage (when converted to traditional calculations) and most importantly, if I beat the snot out of it it really doesn't lose a lot of range and even if it does, it costs almost nothing to fill. I did the math and it would save us about $4000 - $5000 a year to own one. That's taking into account cost of the vehicle, gas, insurance, etc.

I'm not sure it's worth committing to a $90,000 car for a savings of $4000 a year though.

So what are my other options? Something comparable to the BMW, comparable to a Tesla. Higher end, great mileage, not dog-shit slow. I don't think there's a car but if there is tell me what it is.

You already answered your question in your first post. Committing to a 90k car? This isn't marriage, it's pretty easy to get out of a car if you don't like it. If it truly does save you 4 to 5k per year, then it's a no brainer IMO. I'm not sure what the resale on a Tesla is, but I'm betting it's high.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Yeah Mike, what i said or you could take advice from someone that thinks fine luxury comes in the form of a shitty Buick and not a 5 series :rofl:
Shitty or not to you, this was second best when it came to what gm was offering back in 03, first was the DTS.

I view a 5 series to be what the Camry / ES is to Toyota. The big flagship LS could be compared to the 7/8 series in this case.

A three series is an entry level car imo.

I find this humorous considering that you have never owned a nice car, let alone a luxury one.
they don't feel special or nice to me.

I view them as a premium car but not luxurious.

Alas, the park avenue was marketed as a luxury car by GM themselves when it sold, it was also their flagship. Irrelevant to this thread however.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Because a car is entry level makes it not luxurious? I'll take an entry level Bentley or Rolls Royce all day.

tumblr_mguvj5GNyh1rvofs2o1_500.jpg

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Shitty or not to you, this was second best when it came to what gm was offering back in 03, first was the DTS.

I view a 5 series to be what the Camry / ES is to Toyota. The big flagship LS could be compared to the 7/8 series in this case.

Alas, the park avenue was marketed as a luxury car by GM themselves when it sold, it was also their flagship. Irrelevant to this thread however.

I know you test drive a lot of stuff. Have you driven anything "luxury" cats post 2010?

When I was helping a friend out doing valet work I drove a decent amount of brand new MB. And very few BMW. and 0 PAU. Get being the wheel of actual luxury and you will call your car crap

Mike K if you found a car with a ball massager jump on it. I'd look into MB as an option. But it sounds like you have decided on the model s

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
There is no "entry level" Rolls or Bentley. Entry level is a 320i or C class for example.

I guess that depends on your definition of entry level. If a 320i is an entry level and costs 30k+, does that make virtually every toyota entry level? How is a 320i entry level when they make a 1 and 2 series? What are those? Pre entry level cars?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
2013 Bentley Continental First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

Our first access to the Continental GT V-8 coupe came at the Silverstone circuit in the U.K. and on English back roads. The V-8 GT—call it the entry-level entry-level Bentley—is powered by a version of the direct-injected 500-hp, 4.0-liter turbocharged V-8 that does duty in the Audi S8 (520 horsepower) and S7 (420).

As I said previously, give me that entry level Bentley.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I guess that depends on your definition of entry level. If a 320i is an entry level and costs 30k+, does that make virtually every toyota entry level? How is a 320i entry level when they make a 1 and 2 series? What are those? Pre entry level cars?

1, 2 and low end 3 series are entry level luxury. The hope the BMW has is you move up to a 5, 7 , etc.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Lexus GS450H?

I'm enticed... Actually checked those out after you said that. I think my only reservation would be that properly equipped it's actually getting into Tesla territory.

Awd Audi s8 do it

I'd love to. Hell, I'd love to get the new twin turbo A8. It's a huge value and turns a 12.4 second quarter mile time and 3.9 0-60. That is sick and the car is actually a value. For how much I drive though, owning that would be really stupid. In fact, any luxo-barge is going to be stupid. I'd get eaten up on gas.

We also just got a house in the Hollywood Hills where the roads are so narrow you need to pull over to let oncoming traffic pass. So having something that long and wide isn't a good combo but I want. Fuck I want a new A8L.

how about you just buy the model s already?

this has to be the 3rd thread you've made about it we get it. you LOVE the model s, so BUY it and stop talking about buying it and start posting dam pics of it when you get it!

My biggest gripe right now is that there's no engine noise, no shifting, etc. The BMW just came in on the transport a few days ago. I got the tune fixed so it stopped bogging and I've fallen in love with it all over. I love the sound of the engine. I love the turbo lag when it starts off and how ridiculously hard the power comes on. I fear I'd miss that. That said, there's posts every where owners talk about how little they miss their previous awesome cars. I just talked to a guy in a grocery store parking lot this morning that said his last car was a Cayman S and he didn't miss it at all. Not only that but he was emphatically telling me this was the best car he's ever owned. But I just keep coming back to the engine, the gear shifts, exhaust and turbo noise and can't help but to feel like I'd miss it.

A coworker has a Model S P85. The range goes down drastically when you romp on it he says.

At $8.00 to fill the tank it wouldn't much matter either way.

This thread will likely further convince you of the Model S. Or a Maxima.

Yes, already put the deposit down on the Maxima. :s00ls:

But, you may want to look into the Lexus GS 450h. It's the fastest GS trim and stupid quick for being a hybrid. Zero to 60 mph in 5.6, according to Lexus. They geared it more toward performance than economy, and its 29/34 mpg can likely be exceeded by someone who's in tune with how the car works to get the best mpg. The new GS is a big step up in interior niceness than the old one. Impressive car. No tunability for performance, though.

I don't hate it. It's just that when you option it out it's approaching Model S territory and doesn't get much better mileage than my 535. There's a trump card here and that's that my 535 will get good gas mileage if I don't mix in ethanol and stop driving like a raging asshole. The problem is that if I don't drive like a raging asshole I don't see the need to own that car.

I think the Cadillac CTS-V is a nice option and they can get good MPG when you aren't beating them. Then again, any car that you are beating on is bound to get shit MPG at that moment in time, so I consider that a non-issue. However, the issue with the caddy is that it still is a GM interior which aren't known for their quality. I think that going with another BMW or an Audi would be a good idea if you do not end up choosing the S. As much as you have talked about the S lately I honestly think that if you don't end up getting that then you will likely have buyer's remorse about any other car you get, unless one REALLY jumps out at you!

The CTS-V is an amazing car but they get absolute shit for gas mileage. I've been following a guy on Jalopnik that owns one. He did a cross country trip and on each update people post comments on the story. The most common repeated theme in the comments is how absolutely abysmal the the gas mileage. Some people report getting 6 - 8mpg. I can beat the everliving snot out of my car and still pull 13 so that would be a downgrade for me. I'd probably go V10 M5 if I wanted to deal with that kind of gas mileage.

don't forget the $7500 tax credit on the S as well. that's probably pretty close to covering the payment on it the whole first year of ownership

I've been really OCD about all this. I have a spreadsheet that takes this all into account. My estimate for the savings has the tax credits for the FED and state calculated into it. The problem is Tesla has significantly raised the price of the car. A month ago the air suspension cost $1500; now it's $2500. The upgraded stereo was $900; now it's $2500. Other options that were standard are now add-ons. So I'd probably forego the credit and buy one used with a few thousand miles on it.

I believe you are running E85 in your BMW. Why not just run 93 (or 91 in cali) and be happy with it?

Well the e85 is significantly cheaper than premium so it's kind of a wash there. I get a few less MPG but it costs something like $10.00 less to fill up. The difference between an E85 blend and premium only is small enough to not matter to me.

You already answered your question in your first post. Committing to a 90k car? This isn't marriage, it's pretty easy to get out of a car if you don't like it. If it truly does save you 4 to 5k per year, then it's a no brainer IMO. I'm not sure what the resale on a Tesla is, but I'm betting it's high.

Yeah I know... I'm just talking about if something tragic were to happen to Tesla. Fisker owners paid 100k+ for their cars and now they're worth around 50k. But yeah, as of right now used cars are selling for more than they sold for new and they're apparently selling too because nobody will budget on price.

This might have been the case in previous years but it's not now and hasn't been for awhile. The current iteration 5 series can be had with the same engine and same options as the bigger 7 series and is just as luxurious. The 3 series is an entry BMW but still a luxury car when compared to just about anything domestic.

If a 10 year old Park Avenue feels more special or nice than a new 3 series you have seriously skewed taste in cars. The "luxury" 90's and 00's GM cars were normal cars with more features and stuff that GM believed people would perceive as luxurious like poor quality leather. Go sit in a 2003 330i and then sit in your Park Avenue. The two aren't even in the same ball park. I'm not trying to be mean but let's call a spade a spade. Nobody but the 82 year old that originally purchased it out of habit because he'd been buying Buicks for decades considers the Park Avenue to be even remotely luxurious. That's why Buick's sales died as that generation of buyers died. They couldn't convince anyone new that they built anything that wasn't a poorly rebranded Chevy.

Because a car is entry level makes it not luxurious? I'll take an entry level Bentley or Rolls Royce all day.

Entry level Gallardo = junk. I don't want no base model.

There is another option here and that's just to enjoy the BMW. I just see how much I'm spending on gas and I think that it would be nice to spend that money on the car itself and yeah, obviously it's no secret that I like the Model S.

I was just wondering if there was something else I missed. Sickmint went off on his "I hate Tesla and people that like Tesla" rant in the Tesla post and posted the Panamera S hybrid which seems pretty good until you look at the all electric range on it. It really looks like the Tesla fits the bill but I've been such a Tesla leg humper that I want to make sure I buy it because it makes sense, not because I'm trying to make the numbers work. But I've run the numbers and I just don't see how I wouldn't save money on one...

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
What the hell... people seriously need to get their heads checked before giving advice

Luxury cars offered by the domestics in the early 2000s were the same damn cars as the base models except they glued some fancy wood trim over the plastic pieces or put some extra padding in the seats. I could go on and on.

Compare that to the german cars where they use the same materials, same engines and same interior features in each model at different size and price-points.

An entry level BMW or MB is miles ahead.

Geez, where are the people who actually test cars for a living and get paid to review them?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Have you test dove one yet [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION]

The Model S? Yeah, I drove one a few months back. Predictably, I loved it. I wish the interior was a bit less concept car like though.

What the hell... people seriously need to get their heads checked before giving advice

Luxury cars offered by the domestics in the early 2000s were the same damn cars as the base models except they glued some fancy wood trim over the plastic pieces or put some extra padding in the seats. I could go on and on.

Compare that to the german cars where they use the same materials, same engines and same interior features in each model at different size and price-points.

Geez, where are the people who actually test cars for a living and get paid to review them?

This...

Then again, if we're being fair, early 2000's Mercedes was absolute garbage too. That whole Daimler Chrysler thing didn't end very well.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007

These are the same people that are going to argue why they don't like the new super car that just came out.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
The CTS-V is an amazing car but they get absolute shit for gas mileage. I've been following a guy on Jalopnik that owns one. He did a cross country trip and on each update people post comments on the story. The most common repeated theme in the comments is how absolutely abysmal the the gas mileage. Some people report getting 6 - 8mpg. I can beat the everliving snot out of my car and still pull 13 so that would be a downgrade for me. I'd probably go V10 M5 if I wanted to deal with that kind of gas mileage.

Those people getting such terrible gas mileage in their CTS-Vs are beating the hell out of their cars while recording those figures too. Lack of MPG while flogging on a car is attributed to the usage by the owner, not the vehicle itself from my standpoint. Any car that typically gets good MPG will achieve terrible, horrific MPG if you are beating on it while recording results. Drive it normally and see what it gets. After all, if you care about MPG then chances are likely that you aren't driving like a psycho all the time, ya know? Are you really looking for a car that will actually be able to achieve good MPG while beating the snot out of it or just while driving it normally? :dunno: I've always rated a car's MPG ability based upon what it gets during fairly normal driving because that's how I drive 90% of the time.

Either way, if you don't feel the CTS-V is a fit for you then that is that, but I had to address the apparent lack of MPG that you seem to be concerned about in those cars.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Those people getting such terrible gas mileage in their CTS-Vs are beating the hell out of their cars while recording those figures too. Lack of MPG while flogging on a car is attributed to the usage by the owner, not the vehicle itself from my standpoint. Any car that typically gets good MPG will achieve terrible, horrific MPG if you are beating on it while recording results. Drive it normally and see what it gets. After all, if you care about MPG then chances are likely that you aren't driving like a psycho all the time, ya know? Are you really looking for a car that will actually be able to achieve good MPG while beating the snot out of it or just while driving it normally? :dunno: I've always rated a car's MPG ability based upon what it gets during fairly normal driving.

Either way, if you don't feel the CTS-V is a fit for you then that is that, but I had to address the apparent lack of MPG that you seem to be concerned about in those cars.

Look at my original statement that you quoted. I can beat the snot out of my car and get 13mpg. I can beat the snot out of a CTS-V and get 8. I'm not looking to sell my car for something less efficient. Not to mention the cheapest CTS-V's are still in the high 30k's, would be older than my car and have at least twice the mileage. It's not a good move for someone that cites efficiency as his reason for switching vehicles. That's my only point.

I am looking for a unique car. Something that is so efficient you can beat it up without too much concern or something that is so cheap to fill that you wouldn't care. The Tesla seems to be the only car that ticks that box. I was hoping someone had an alternative. Sickmint seemed hell bent on saying the technology behind the Panamera S Hybrid was a Tesla killer (it's not) and I was hoping someone else had a car similar to that that I wasn't aware of that is particularly efficient without sacrificing luxury or performance. I realize I'm asking for a lot here. I kind of knew going into the post that the real decision would be to either keep the BMW or get a Tesla because I'm fairly certain nothing comparable exists or is even in the pipeline.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I think we are both citing two different areas of efficiency, so I will leave the discussion at that.

I kind of knew going into the post that the real decision would be to either keep the BMW or get a Tesla because I'm fairly certain nothing comparable exists or is even in the pipeline.

So, what you're saying is that you AREN'T going to be getting a 2003 Buick Park Avenue Ultra then?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info