đź“° Auto News Five-Oh! 2011 Mustang GT Gets 412 HP 5.0-liter V8

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
+1

The GT will be competitive to the SS in pricing. I can see a fully loaded Mustang GT costing nearly 40K, but the base will be close to 30K.

yea they'll have to keep it competitive. They make their money on the V6 versions anyway. What I want to know is what they'll do with the GT500. Right now most magazines are showing a 12.6 at best. I think Automobile has a 12.7. And R&T has the camaro at 12.9. SO if the new GT is faster than the camaro which would be like a 12.8ish and the GT500 which is 10-15grand more, and is only a few tenths faster, fords really going to have to do some work with the GT500.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
yea they'll have to keep it competitive. They make their money on the V6 versions anyway. What I want to know is what they'll do with the GT500. Right now most magazines are showing a 12.6 at best. I think Automobile has a 12.7. And R&T has the camaro at 12.9. SO if the new GT is faster than the camaro which would be like a 12.8ish and the GT500 which is 10-15grand more, and is only a few tenths faster, fords really going to have to do some work with the GT500.

yea, like hp bump and put on a diet

G

Grabber

New GT500 is getting an aluminum block, and 540 HP.

They already have them out, and, some have ran 11's Stock, not many though.

Average I'd say with a good driver is probably a low-mid 12 with a 116-118 trap. Which is more than enough to destroy a Camaro. Plus, you are talking a Forged Motor, from top to bottom, a badass transmission, very strong rear end, etc.

The car has tons of potential in it, where as the other models, GT, SS, etc. will have to spend the money forging their motors to keep up with modding capabilities the GT500 offers.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
New GT500 is getting an aluminum block, and 540 HP.

They already have them out, and, some have ran 11's Stock, not many though.

Average I'd say with a good driver is probably a low-mid 12 with a 116-118 trap. Which is more than enough to destroy a Camaro. Plus, you are talking a Forged Motor, from top to bottom, a badass transmission, very strong rear end, etc.

The car has tons of potential in it, where as the other models, GT, SS, etc. will have to spend the money forging their motors to keep up with modding capabilities the GT500 offers.

Grabber, I noticed you were from mount prospect. I think I've seen you drive up and down Elmhurst every now and then. I drive the Red Jimmy Johns Camaro. didn't know that was you.

I suppose when you take modifying the car the Cobra is better, but I don't think the average consumer will do that. Most GT owners I've seen dont. :dunno:

G

Grabber

The new GT500 comes with bigger brakes, good suspension and will weigh around 3700ish lve according to sources. The 2011 5.0 gt will weigh very close to that, and without the expensive track pack package, the Gt500 will be an overall better car. Sure, a track packaged gt will handle better, however, I'm willing to bet there will be more people buying mustangs for drag racing rather than autoX.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The new GT500 comes with bigger brakes, good suspension and will weigh around 3700ish lve according to sources. The 2011 5.0 gt will weigh very close to that, and without the expensive track pack package, the Gt500 will be an overall better car. Sure, a track packaged gt will handle better, however, I'm willing to bet there will be more people buying mustangs for drag racing rather than autoX.

Expensive track pack? Where do you get your information? The track pack at $1495 is a steal for what you get!

G

Grabber

So, 1500 bucks for some stabilizers, summer tires and brake pads? You do realize braking is very important in autoX, and the gt500 has bigger brakes. Not to mention, the gt500 already has upgraded springs, stabilizers, front and rear bracing, and like 13.xx inch brakes.

I'll pass on the track pack. If I wanted to buy a 35k car for auto x, I'll buy a used Porsche or BMW. This us really going off topic.

There is a reason a gt500 is on a class of it's own compared to the common gt or v6 model. All good though.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
$1500 for swaybars and tires is not a good deal IMO.

Read the article. It's a lot more than that! Grabber is providing incorrect information.

The chassis engineer named "Groot" who worked on the Track Pack was actually on a Mustang forum giving great information on how it was developed, but I think Ford found out and his post disappeared.

This will be available in 2011 with more HP and better brakes. Like I said, this package will really impress!

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
SO what does a new GT owner do when they walk into a dealer and see that for a few grand more a '11 has 100 more hp than a '10? They're practically going to have to give the 2010s away. Whats worse is that Ford after so many years of dominance over the Camaro in terms of sales, is finally losing the battle, so it decides to match Chevy in HP. Makes me wonder where the mustang would be if they just decided to do this a long time ago.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Read the article. It's a lot more than that! Grabber is providing incorrect information.

The chassis engineer named "Groot" who worked on the Track Pack was actually on a Mustang forum giving great information on how it was developed, but I think Ford found out and his post disappeared.

This will be available in 2011 with more HP and better brakes. Like I said, this package will really impress!
I don't care to read about it. I was simply asking what it included.

I saw swaybars, tires and pads. Then the 500c package gets struts and springs.

G

Grabber

Here is the full list that will make the car the best handling car EVAR!!!

Re-tuned Springs and Struts, GT500 sway bars, Pirelli P-Zero tires(Which are GARBAGE), Reduced roll Gradient, and Performance Friction brake pads.

It looks like a good deal, but, you have no proof it will handle better, as this still has the stock GT springs/Struts, just re-tuned versions, while the GT500 has better springs and struts, BIGGER brakes, if I remember correctly, BREMBO brakes were better than the standard GT, unless Ford is putting 3,000 brakes on the 2011.

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
Im a huge fan of the fact that each trim level has competition. When the 98-02 F-Bodies were around competing with the 99-04 Mustangs... the Mustang GT didnt really have direct competition. You had the base Mustang vs the base Camaro/Firebird... the Cobra (99/01) vs the Trans Am/Formula/Z28. The Mustang GT was kind of in a league by itself, some where in between.

Now it will finally be Base vs Base, GT vs SS and GT500 vs Z28 brawl.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Here is the full list that will make the car the best handling car EVAR!!!

Re-tuned Springs and Struts, GT500 sway bars, Pirelli P-Zero tires(Which are GARBAGE), Reduced roll Gradient, and Performance Friction brake pads.

It looks like a good deal, but, you have no proof it will handle better, as this still has the stock GT springs/Struts, just re-tuned versions, while the GT500 has better springs and struts, BIGGER brakes, if I remember correctly, BREMBO brakes were better than the standard GT, unless Ford is putting 3,000 brakes on the 2011.

Where do you get your information? You are wrong again. That's not all that's included in the track pack.

Additionally, $3000 brakes???

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9540

I can buy the GT500 Brembo brakes right now for $925 from BuyFordRacing.com or Tousley Ford

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
Has anyone sat in the new Camaro? I ask this because the Mustang sits like a normal car in terms of... you dont have to step down into the car like you do in my 00' Trans Am... so I want to know if the Camaro is still like that or if it they changed it to sit more like the Mustang.

Other than that tho, they both have trunks now since the Camaro ditched the hatch. The Camaro got rid of its T-Tops. They're performance numbers will be close to each other.

I think its going to boil down to brand loyalty and looks. Id have to give it to the Mustang also in the long run. I dont have to be bias anymore, my Firebird is gone forever lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info