đź“° Auto News Five-Oh! 2011 Mustang GT Gets 412 HP 5.0-liter V8

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I only like the Shlebly GT500KR.....but all in all it is still a mustang.....a lot faster but not impressive....Coming from someone who owned 4 of them! I perfer fox bodies, the 99-04 body styles.....Will be waiting to see what SVT does now...

I think this car will impress a lot of folks once the performance numbers come out. With 412 hp and ~3500 lbs, this should be a solid mid to high 12s car. I wouldn't be suprised to see Evan Smith run a 12.6 or 12.6.

Where I think this car really will be impressive is at the track. For 2010, Ford added the "track pak" which turned the car into a great handling vehicle. In 2011, it will be back but now you can order 14" Brembos. Track pack, Brembos, and 5.0L FTW!

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
So... the base Mustang is going to be faster than the base Camaro... the GT is going to be faster than the SS (assuming)... and the Camaro will have lost its first year "hype". Ford picked a great time to counter GMs Muscle Car lol.

There are two things I like about the Mustang over the Camaro. Its weight and its glass roof option. IMO, the Camaro should be faster than what it is given its HP and well... I just love T-Tops... and seeings as GM gave a big NO to that idea (Id assume a targa top would be out of the question too), a glass top on the Camaro would be the next best thing to me.

Well played Ford, well played. Now we gotta see what the Z28 brings lol.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The Mustang might be a little more nimble and be rocking more under the hood but the Camaro is just rolling sex. I'd rather have the Camaro and pop a couple sway bars on it and a set of headers. The Mustang certainly isn't bad looking, just not as sexy as the Camaro in this guy's opinion.

G

Grabber

Curious why you aren't impressed at a factory 412 hp GT. This car is superior to all Mustangs before it when you look at the overall package. I am curious what SVT has up their sleave for the 2011 GT500.

The weight.

At what cost, will this 412HP mustang be at?

I truly believe this thing will weigh 3600-3700lbs, depending on options.

While it is impressive, for the money I am sure it will cost, if you want performance, you are better off buying a used GT500, or spending a bit more and getting a new GT500.

While price is all speculation, don't you agree this will cost more than a new S197GT by quite a few thousand? My 07 was 32K factory ordered. It doesn't have a bigger motor, better internals, a more expensive and stronger trans, and the interior features this comes with. I bet this GT will be around the 40k mark, if not higher.

I don't see the point in spending that much on a GT, when the MSRP of a faster model is a few thousand away. To each their own.

Not knocking this GT at all. I will probably change my mind and shut my mouth when I am proved wrong, and the price is right, and it becomes a proven platform once people start racing it.

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
The Z28 goes up against the GT500. The GT500 in 2011 will be dropping weight due to the aluminum block and a couple of other changes. GM better put the LS9 in the Z28 because the 6.2L LSA won't cut it against the lighter GT500.

Oh Im very very very aware that the Z28 will compete with the GT500. Its the one trim in the Mustangs line up that GM does not currently have available answer to right now (hence me saying base/base, gt/ss). Luckily, that will all change soon.

And I agree with the engine comment. If they keep the hp similiar, the weight of the Camaro kills its chances against the GT500.

Why are you relying on a Z28 model? isn't that usually below the SS models?

Only for the 4th gens and even with that, the SS was pretty much the same car as the Z28, it just looked more aggressive. Its not like they had different engines, they're all LS1s, just like the Formula/Trans Ams to the WS6/Firehawks.

For the 5th gens, GM already has a Camaro with the SS badge on it, so creating a S/C V8 needs another recognized named... thus... the Z28.

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
The Mustang might be a little more nimble and be rocking more under the hood but the Camaro is just rolling sex. I'd rather have the Camaro and pop a couple sway bars on it and a set of headers. The Mustang certainly isn't bad looking, just not as sexy as the Camaro in this guy's opinion.

When you have two cars that are very closely matched, looks are pretty much what makes the decision lol. Its looking like the Mustang will take firm lead here tho.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The weight.

At what cost, will this 412HP mustang be at?

I truly believe this thing will weigh 3600-3700lbs, depending on options.

While it is impressive, for the money I am sure it will cost, if you want performance, you are better off buying a used GT500, or spending a bit more and getting a new GT500.

While price is all speculation, don't you agree this will cost more than a new S197GT by quite a few thousand? My 07 was 32K factory ordered. It doesn't have a bigger motor, better internals, a more expensive and stronger trans, and the interior features this comes with. I bet this GT will be around the 40k mark, if not higher.

I don't see the point in spending that much on a GT, when the MSRP of a faster model is a few thousand away. To each their own.

Not knocking this GT at all. I will probably change my mind and shut my mouth when I am proved wrong, and the price is right, and it becomes a proven platform once people start racing it.

I bet the 2011 weighs within 25-50 lbs of the 2010. The guys that have given reliable information about the Coyote also say the price isn't going to be a drastic increase.

You are comparing a new car against a used car; that's not apples to apples.

G

Grabber

I bet the 2011 weighs within 25-50 lbs of the 2010. The guys that have given reliable information about the Coyote also say the price isn't going to be a drastic increase.

You are comparing a new car against a used car; that's not apples to apples.

25-30lbs?

So, .4 Liters bigger, a bigger trans? Dude, lol.

You do realize the trans alone is probably 40-50lbs, not including the heads and cams, plus the bigger block?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
25-30lbs?

So, .4 Liters bigger, a bigger trans? Dude, lol.

You do realize the trans alone is probably 40-50lbs, not including the heads and cams, plus the bigger block?

You are speculating.

The 3V is an alum. block & heads, so the there will be little or no weight gain there.

The transmission is a Getrag 6 speed (MT82) not a Tremec 6 speed, so who knows what it weighs.

Like I said, the guys that were correct with the Coyote are stating that weight won't increase much (if any).

G

Grabber

You are speculating.

The 3V is an alum. block & heads, so the there will be little or no weight gain there.

The transmission is a Getrag 6 speed (MT82) not a Tremec 6 speed, so who knows what it weighs.

Like I said, the guys that were correct with the Coyote are stating that weight won't increase much (if any).

I agree.

It is speculation, however, doesn't this make sense?

If the MSRP is close to 40K, why buy a GT, and not buy a GT500 for a few thousand more? Since, MSRP on a GT500 is around 45-46K, that is a better platform.

?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
If the MSRP is close to 40K, why buy a GT, and not buy a GT500 for a few thousand more? Since, MSRP on a GT500 is around 45-46K, that is a better platform.

?

The 2011 GT500 will be close to 50K. The 2010 GT Premium is $31K. I bet the 2011 isn't much more than that.

Also, I believe that a track pack GT will be a better road racing vehicle and the GT500 better for the straights. How you like to race will dictate the better platform.

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
I agree.

It is speculation, however, doesn't this make sense?

?

The chances are, the GT's price will be within a grand or two range of the Camaro SS's MSRP. Most likely $30-35K. But I do see the mark ups being around $40K and well... why not buy an year or two old GT500 at that point lol.

G

Grabber

I'm gonna go with a sub-$30,000 starting MSRP for the new GT, like $29,995, just for marketing purposes of being able to say it's less than $30k.

Right, the new 2010 GT will start a couple thousand higher than the previous GT.

I was referring to the 2011 GT with the new motor, trans, etc.

I doubt with a trans that expensive, a motor with the Forged internals they are speaking of, and the size, will only cost another 1K on the MSRP.

I bet that 2011 GT will be at least 35-37K. Again, that is a high price to pay for a GT.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info