changed plugs car wont run!

agentorange

Reaction score
put new ngk tr6 plugs gapped at .035 in now it starts but sounds like its running on 3 cyl and dies out wont idle anyone have any sug. thanks

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Reaction score
+1 make sure yoour coil packs are snapped on the plugs as well.

OP
agentorange

agentorange

Reaction score
its throwing codes ignit. e-f-g-h could .035 be to much gap?

teamstorm02

Reaction score
you may have mixed up the connections for the coilpacks which to my knowledge would mess up the firing sequence

Frodo

Reaction score

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
thats 1 whole side of the motor throwing codes.. i would see if you disconnected a main harness to that side of the motor.

OP
agentorange

agentorange

Reaction score
Thanks guys im going to start over again and check everything!

about2bite

SVTNProgress
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the gap, I'd look into the harness connections as Bob stated since it's the whole side. .035 should be fine, I gap mine at .032 and am running 19#s

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
First, yes you can mistakenly interchange two adjacent coil pacs. It's not easy, but it can be done.

The problem probably lies at the rear of the coil cover, near the back of the valve cover. Check where the wires enter the plug area, where the coil cover fits against the head and the loom. You probably pinched some of the wires in the loom. The grommet must fit into the recess in the coil cover and the valve cover.

OP
agentorange

agentorange

Reaction score
ok at 1:30am we fig. out 3 of the 4 coil paks on the driver side are not firing prop.1 not at all the other 2 intermit.so it looks like im going to replace all the paks any thoughts (stock ford) or GMS or Accel?Thanks guys (this is turning into the most expensive spark plug change in history)!

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
ok at 1:30am we fig. out 3 of the 4 coil paks on the driver side are not firing prop.1 not at all the other 2 intermit.so it looks like im going to replace all the paks any thoughts (stock ford) or GMS or Accel?Thanks guys (this is turning into the most expensive spark plug change in history)!
I think you are throwing money at the car but not solving the real problem.\

Look for the pinched wires! You may have even broke a wire inside the sheathing, so good luck in the search.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
i agree on a pinched wire.. too much of a coincidence that the entire side of the motor is throwing misfire codes and all that was done was plugs changed..

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
There is almost no reason for 3 or 4 coil paks to fail at the same time, particularly on the same bank.
You have to look for the common point between all of them for the source of the problem.
There is one common wire that feeds all of the coils +12v on each bank and each coil has a ground (-12v) wire that is controlled by the PCM. These are all in the loom that exits the plug well at the rear of the coil cover.
If you did nothing else but change the plugs immediately before this problem started, then concentrate on what you did. Pull the plugs if you have to, to make certain they weren't damaged during the install.
Check for +12v at each coil. One terminal on each coil pak should have +12v at all times.
Check for short to ground or open circuit if it isn't present.
The other wire found on the connector at the coil pak is the one controlled by the PCM. If you have to, disconnect the connector at the PCM and check for continuity from the coil pak end of the wire to the connector at the PCM.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
One additional thought.
Try running the car without the coil pak cover installed and see what happens.

Make certain that the coil paks are pushed onto the plugs completely.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Reaction score
As far as replacement coils, the stock units are about as good as you're going to get. There are aftermarket pieces, but from what I have seen of them, they don't show any improvement over the stock pieces.

Accel was a good brand, but are now made in China. Take that for what its worth.

There are probably some that will argue this point, but until I'm shown concrete evidence of a gain that is significant enough to warrant the high price of aftermarket units (GMS in particular), I'll stick with the Ford units.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
+2 on ford only Coil packs and also running with the coil covers off.

OP
agentorange

agentorange

Reaction score
well that was it! i replaced 3 on the driver side it runs great, i swear this car has a mind of its own everytime i touch it it turns to [email protected]!thank you guys for all your help! Brad

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom