Canceled Directv

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
As has been said before, be careful with the fiber promises. Most companies say "FIBER INTERNET" but it's only fiber to a junction box blocks away, and the rest of the way is copper. AT&T tried to pull that shit to me last year. If they are coming in on the phone jack, it's not fiber. AT&T also promised me Gig up and down, and the install guy came out and said I'd be lucky to get 50 down and 15 up

Metronet is fiber directly to your house. They've been pulling fiber in my neighborhood since last summer.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Metronet is fiber directly to your house. They've been pulling fiber in my neighborhood since last summer.

:nice:

I wish I had any other options besides AT&T and Comcast. Although I can't complain too much about Comcast, as my experiences with them have been generally good, and their service has gone down maybe twice for a couple hours in the nearly 4 years I've been at my house.

There was rumors WOW was in our neighborhood, but I investigated and they said they didn't offer it where I live.

Oh well...I'm running into the limit of my DOCSIS 3.0 modem (I believe it's 200MB/S max), but Comcast says they'll support 3.1 which in theory could get gig service. But 3.1 modems are still pretty expensive, and I've had no issues with my modem.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
:nice:

I wish I had any other options besides AT&T and Comcast. Although I can't complain too much about Comcast, as my experiences with them have been generally good, and their service has gone down maybe twice for a couple hours in the nearly 4 years I've been at my house.

There was rumors WOW was in our neighborhood, but I investigated and they said they didn't offer it where I live.

Oh well...I'm running into the limit of my DOCSIS 3.0 modem (I believe it's 200MB/S max), but Comcast says they'll support 3.1 which in theory could get gig service. But 3.1 modems are still pretty expensive, and I've had no issues with my modem.

I have to say that when Comcast works, it works well I get 320M/s on my phone and laptop over the wifi. That's fucking screaming. I dont even know what I'd get hard wired.

BS ISF

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 24, 2012
WEST BURBS
I am on my last fucking nerve with DTV as well. $260/month with DTV and ATT internet is just plain fucking stupid. I need to really look into each of these streaming services to see which fits my needs but sounds like they have really added a ton of live channels which helps with sports and motorsports.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
welp. that got me nowhere. an hour of dicking around on chat, "best" she could do was 150mbps/1xx channels for 69.99 a month... but that's not HD, and that's no DVR... and that's one TV...

Go to two TV's... add 9.95 a month... add dvr... add 9.95 a month... add HD... add 9.95 a month.

all of a sudden it's at $13x.xx :rofl:

Wouldn't give me any better deal than i have now on internet which is 150mbps for 64.99 before tax fees/72 something after.

They know they're the only kid in town where I'm at I feel.

I legit don't know what to do.

I "need" internets, they're the only game in town... Latest bill is now $92 moving forward for just internets.

they say 150mbps ive never tested more than 60/70

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Your router also shouldn't be any issue.

Couldn't hurt to restart the modem and router if you haven't already. Speedtest.net again, and if it doesn't get you to your advertised speeds, call up Comcast and complain. If they give you some shit about your modem being too old, and needing to be upgraded, just tell them that the DOCSIS 3.0 is not the issue, as it's good for the package you have

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Your router also shouldn't be any issue.

Couldn't hurt to restart the modem and router if you haven't already. Speedtest.net again, and if it doesn't get you to your advertised speeds, call up Comcast and complain. If they give you some shit about your modem being too old, and needing to be upgraded, just tell them that the DOCSIS 3.0 is not the issue, as it's good for the package you have

I've done restarted it a few times.

I use fast.com & speedtest.net since comcast was prioritizing traffic to speedtest.net.

I'll do that

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I've done restarted it a few times.

I use fast.com & speedtest.net since comcast was prioritizing traffic to speedtest.net.

I'll do that

Didn't know that, good to know.

I've been using a built in speed tester on my Google router, which seems accurate enough. I never usually have problems with speed or streaming, even 4K

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
No, that shouldn't. I have the same modem, it's DOCSIS 3.0, which should be good up to at least 200 MB/S

Same. I have a 6141 and an Asus AC1700 router.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07628HLTM/?tag=tcg21-20

I get 180 down and 11 up and pay for blast (150) according to speedtest.

Interesting. According to fast, I get 190 down just now compared to the 180 from speedtest.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
yeeaaa I'd be inclined to try a new setup. i have this guy..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZUPOF7Y/?tag=tcg21-20

and have blast 150 connected on 5g. always use 5g when you can. shorter range, faster speed.

Fast.com 280
Google test 154
speedtest 171

other thing to look at is your cable setup. you want the modem cable to be as "close" to the entry point of the cable coming into your house. in other words, the fewer splits before your cable reaches your modem the better. with being the only thing you'll use cable for it can be the only thing connected to the cable coming in the house.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
yeeaaa I'd be inclined to try a new setup. i have this guy..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZUPOF7Y/?tag=tcg21-20

and have blast 150 connected on 5g. always use 5g when you can. shorter range, faster speed.

Fast.com 280
Google test 154
speedtest 171

other thing to look at is your cable setup. you want the modem cable to be as "close" to the entry point of the cable coming into your house. in other words, the fewer splits before your cable reaches your modem the better. with being the only thing you'll use cable for it can be the only thing connected to the cable coming in the house.

If you are going to spend that kind of coin on a modem, go with DOCSIS 3.1 which is, in theory, good up to 1 GB/S (and in theory beyond)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info