TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
kxv4JNq.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I exclusively stream TV through Fire Sticks, and I've never hit 500 GB in a month. Will have to investigate getting rid the TV portion of my Comcast...we only use it to watch Northwestern away football games...not sure why I'm paying couple hundred a year for that :fu:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I'll be curious if comcast starts throwing fits because I'm exclusively streaming EVERYTHING now. They already claim I'm using 90% of my bandwidth already...and all Ive been doing is gaming and streaming netflix :rofl:

Makes zero sense b/c pretty sure comcast increased the data cap to a tb, didnt they?

IIRC Comcast had a cap, then for years stopped enforcing it, then started almost a year and a half ago. It was always 1TB when they reinstated it.

I actually just bought a Plex lifetime pass since I got an email with a code for 40% off. So it was $75. I am going to start looking at antennas and HDHomerun boxes and just do everything through Plex. Live TV, DVR, along with my library in one place.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ill be curious to see if I get hassled at all going forward...cause I'll definitely start bumping up against the 1tb "cap" without a doubt.

If I get less than 950GB used per month I am sad. LOL. I get the emails, but as long as you stay under, NBD.

You also get 2 get out of jail free turns a year to go over the cap. IIRC its on Comcast's site how many times you can if you look at the usage meter.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
IIRC Comcast had a cap, then for years stopped enforcing it, then started almost a year and a half ago. It was always 1TB when they reinstated it.

I actually just bought a Plex lifetime pass since I got an email with a code for 40% off. So it was $75. I am going to start looking at antennas and HDHomerun boxes and just do everything through Plex. Live TV, DVR, along with my library in one place.

Don't think you need HDHomerun boxes anymore. If you get one PC with a TV tuner and then run Plex on that PC, you can pull the OTA Antenna TV through the Plex app on other devices. I've been able to do this with Amazon Fire TV's, my phone, other PC's, etc.

I installed a good sized antenna in my attic, and then run the cable to a PC in my basement that runs Plex. Then everything pulls from there.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Don't think you need HDHomerun boxes anymore. If you get one PC with a TV tuner and then run Plex on that PC, you can pull the OTA Antenna TV through the Plex app on other devices. I've been able to do this with Amazon Fire TV's, my phone, other PC's, etc.

I installed a good sized antenna in my attic, and then run the cable to a PC in my basement that runs Plex. Then everything pulls from there.

I think the HDHomerun would take the place of a tuner. Ive been trying to do research on equipment that would make it almost mirror our comcast experience so I dont have to hear the other half complain about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info