Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Broke EF turbo LS SC400 Build

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
So now that you have some more experience with the wen bandsaw, what do you think?

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
So now that you have some more experience with the wen bandsaw, what do you think?
Its not bad for the money, but I am crazy and want more precision. Its hard to get it to cut perfectly straight. I need to fix the stripped bolts for the adjustment which will help it cut better. I also just bought a 3D printer, so I am going to try an print jigs for the tubing. The idea is that I can dial it in straight and square and use the jigs to hold the tubing at various angles. This isn't my genius idea or anything, people have been doing things like this for a while. Some people make some really nice fixtures, but they are too expensive for me to justify. Having the 3D printer will let me make some as well as other parts and pieces I can use on the car and around the house.

TL: DNR = Its good for smaller projects and occasional use.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Its not bad for the money, but I am crazy and want more precision. Its hard to get it to cut perfectly straight. I need to fix the stripped bolts for the adjustment which will help it cut better. I also just bought a 3D printer, so I am going to try an print jigs for the tubing. The idea is that I can dial it in straight and square and use the jigs to hold the tubing at various angles. This isn't my genius idea or anything, people have been doing things like this for a while. Some people make some really nice fixtures, but they are too expensive for me to justify. Having the 3D printer will let me make some as well as other parts and pieces I can use on the car and around the house.

TL: DNR = Its good for smaller projects and occasional use.
It takes some time and patience to set them up right. That being said, over several I've used in various shops they were never used for precision cuts anyway. Mostly to make larger pieces smaller for throwing them in the Bridgeport.

If you score the piece all around with something like a sawzall, the blade will follow it and give you a square cut...but I prefer to do the whole thing with a sawzall anyway.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
It takes some time and patience to set them up right. That being said, over several I've used in various shops they were never used for precision cuts anyway. Mostly to make larger pieces smaller for throwing them in the Bridgeport.

If you score the piece all around with something like a sawzall, the blade will follow it and give you a square cut...but I prefer to do the whole thing with a sawzall anyway.
Thats true, and its pretty damn good for a cheap saw once I dialed it in. Any issues now are probably due to the bolts being stripped out and it not holding the tubing solid. My solution is going to be getting a disc//belt sander to bring it right into spec. I am an amateur hack at best, but I am constantly trying to improve my fit up and overall skills. I started with only using an angle grinder and a MIG with some WIDE gaps :) I just need more cars to work on so I can get more practice :D

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
For basic tube fab I have a chop saw blade in my Craftsman miter saw. It’s sketchy, but cuts come out pretty square

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
For basic tube fab I have a chop saw blade in my Craftsman miter saw. It’s sketchy, but cuts come out pretty square
I have used a chop saw, and actually borrowed my buddies again. The fiber blades can move around A LOT, but you can get good cuts on them if your careful. I am thinking of trying a blade in my miter saw to do the 4" aluminum for the exhaust. I've never done it before, so worth a shot to see how it does as well. Lots of ways to skin the cat thats for sure.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I don’t think that would work. Aluminum cuts like shit with a fiber disc. Have to lube the blade to keep it from clogging. I wonder if you used a fine cut blade instead?

I used to do supercharger porting...I had the best luck with wood router bits and shallow cuts

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think that would work. Aluminum cuts like shit with a fiber disc. Have to lube the blade to keep it from clogging. I wonder if you used a fine cut blade instead?

I used to do supercharger porting...I had the best luck with wood router bits and shallow cuts
I should have been more clear. I was going to get a non ferrous blade for the miter saw to do the aluminum. Though, I have used fiber for aluminum. One trick I have heard of, but never tried is to use some bar soap on the disc first to help it go though better.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Not much of an update for you guys that have been following the thread, but I decided to give youtube a shot. I have some free time lately, and since I already document the shit out of the build I figured I would give video a try. This first video is just to get everyone up to speed. Goes over what the car is, what my plans are, why its taking so long etc.

I have enough to keep me busy on the car for a while, and I am hoping the youtube thing keeps me motivated. I also have some friends builds I will be taking on soon (waiting on parts) so if the SC slows down you should see some other cool stuff fill in.

Anyway check it out, and if you are interested subscribe!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Cool project. Look forward to seeing it complete.
That poor rear end though.
Thanks! And :cry: about the rear. I know, its sad. There are companies that make either a 9" or an 8.8" but both are very expensive. I will probably change it out to one of those at some point, but for now it will get cleaned, welded, and all new seals.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Nobody asked for it, but here is a video of me rearranging the garage, cleaning up a bit, and installing some cheap lights under my lift. This was more an exercise is making a video than anything. I actually shot it on my camera and for my first time with a GoPro. I have some learning to do with the GoPro, but overall its easier. I also tried to get the sound more even this time, and even put in some music for the time lapse stuff. That in itself adds a LOT to the overall process.

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think!

I am hoping to have an SC video this weekend, or early next week. My wife had surgery on Tuesday so its been difficult to juggle everything, harder than I expected!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Well its not much, but the first video with some work is up!

I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but something is better than nothing! Check it out and let me know what you think.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
So much buildup!!! And then....

Props for keeping it real tho

The intake building sequence was sweet. If only we could speed up real life like that :LOL:

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
So much buildup!!! And then....

Props for keeping it real tho

The intake building sequence was sweet. If only we could speed up real life like that :LOL:
I know I know :( How do you think I felt! I started on that bracket more than once, got material, changed my mind, and then came up with a decent design just to screw up the cuts at the end. Not only that, but then I had to go inside and stay up till 2AM reliving the whole process making the video of it :LOL:😢 I am going to grab some material tomorrow and start over. I am all about showing the bad with the good, that is how it really goes so why hide it.

I can tell you it is a lot harder figuring out what to do now. I dont want to bounce around a ton, but I kinda have to. Still lots to learn about the whole process, but its keeping me going so far.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
That trans cooler does look like its gonna be a pretty good fit where you want to put it tho.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
I finished up the trans cooler and got the video up a bit early. I think it came out pretty decent (the mount, not the video)!

Let me know what you guys think!!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Nice! Much better outcome this time :LOL: Great lighting under the lift this time too!
Thanks!! The lights are awesome! I am really wanting to change out all of my lights to those so that everything is nice and even as far as color goes. It should also be brighter as well, but its hard to say how much brighter. I am trying not to spend money until I get a job again though so for now I'm just dreaming. As soon as I am able to, I will change them all out so the videos will look a bit better :D

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
New video is up! In this one I finally get to welding the intercooler piping. It's been quite a while since I welded aluminum, so I go through some set up and practice first. It made for a bit longer video, but decided I would show the whole process more or less. Hope you guys like it, let me know!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom