Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Broke EF turbo LS SC400 Build

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I pretty sure its 1/16" ER309L filler rod, and I think I am down around 70 amps? I know I was more like 90, but it seemed too hot.
i started using .045 filler rod on my last stainless project and really liked it. I can give you some .035 and .045 to try if you’re ever near Villa Park

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
i started using .045 filler rod on my last stainless project and really liked it. I can give you some .035 and .045 to try if you’re ever near Villa Park
Ill have to look, I may have some around. If not I will order some up to give it a shot. I appreciate the advice, and the offer!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
I worked on the car this weekend, and regretted every second of it. Lets rewind a bit to Saturday morning. We were in the driveway talking to the neighbors, and when they left I went to close the garage. When I did that my opener gave up. I manually closed the door, and then though you know I am going to need it open later today. I knew that it was very heavy (I dont think the spring was adjusted properly) so I wanted to make sure I could get it opened. When I did that it whipped up way past where it normally opens too. I left it until that night when I climbed up a ladder to close it. That was when I figured out that the roof of my car, which is up on the lift, acted as the stop for the door. Yesterday morning I moved everything out from under the car and lowered it down to see how bad it was.

It doesn't look dented, just scratched pretty bad. I am not happy about it, Ill just leave it at that.

It was also during this time that I found out my left arm was fucked. I have no idea what I did, but basically pulling toward me with my left arm is a no go. Its extremely painful, and it was so bad I couldn't even shift the ATV back into park with my left arm. This will come back later.

My neighbor had come by to help me move everything and get the door up (without smashing my car again) and we decided to get the car outside and pull the motor. While we were getting everything cleared out of the way, I was thinking (and asked) if we should pull the transmission first, or pull it all together. We decided to pull it all together since I had put it in all as one unit. So with it up on the lift we dropped the trans cross member, pulled the down pipe and then lowered it down. All ready to go!

He hopped in to steer, and I gave it a push. About half way down, loud bang and then I see the trail of trans fluid.

It ripped the plug right out of the pan along with the threads, and also cracked it. Again, not happy but its too late now. Right about here, he got called into work so I was on my own and committed. So I get everything all set up which means I forgot I need to pull the intercooler first, forgot I need to jack the car up slightly for the cherry picker to clear the crossmember, etc. I get the motor unbolted from the mounts, start to lift and then try to pull back on the cherry picker. This is when I am reminded in an excruciatingly painful way that my arm is damn near useless. I also realize that we are too far down the driveway making this all a lot harder. I usually do this in the garage where its smooth and relatively flat. So I do what anyone would do, hook the cherry picker to my ATV :)

This worked pretty well, except for the fact that the engine and trans together would not come out of the car. I forgot all about that nice new overflow I put on the trans, which I have now smashed into the cross member a couple times. I had to lower the motor back down and let it sit on the mounts nowhere near where they bolt on. I unbolted the trans and let it sit on the crossmember while I got the motor up and out without too much more drama.

Then I was left with just the trans and a bum arm.

I ended up just trying to lift it up and out. Surprise surprise, it didn't fit. I ended up having to lift the car up and slid it out of the side with my one good arm. That was about all I had energy for. I went back and finished mowing the dust that used to be grass then just cleaned everything up and put the car back on the lift.

I am going to order a new pan and overflow. I am sure both can be saved, but I just want to have it all nice and new (AGAIN). I will probably hold on to both old parts for future use in some other car. I also want to start ordering parts for the motor to get that thing finished up. I did get a few things for it recently, like a billet dumbell, new cam retention plate, and some ARP torque converter bolts. I will probably pull the front of the motor apart this week, and get the heads off so I can have them cleaned up. I also need to start working on the engine bay finally which is a big reason why I pulled it back out.

Anyway thats the story for this week. Thanks for following along as always.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
That sounds bad. It’s real common to pull the tendons in your elbow wrenching, that’s why I asked.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
That sounds bad. It’s real common to pull the tendons in your elbow wrenching, that’s why I asked.
Yeah it hurt before I started on the car. I cant remember exactly what I did first, but something when I was making some breakfast stung a little. Then I went to move the ATV and that hurt really bad. So I started it and hopped on to move it and when I was done I couldn't put it back into park. The worst was trying to pull the cherry picker though. I tried to pull mainly with my right arm, but ended up pulling my left and that fucking hurt bad. So then the rest of the day I pretty much just didn't use my left arm at all.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Damn, Im sure thats not the update you wanted to be giving this week. Take care of yourself man!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Damn, Im sure thats not the update you wanted to be giving this week. Take care of yourself man!
Yeah, you can say that again. But at least I made some forward progress?

Man I woulda stopped after the roof deal. I would have been too pissed to continue screwing things up. You need some wrenchin buddies close by when it comes to heavy lifting. Sucks being a 1 man show some times!
So I had planned on getting the motor and trans pulled this weekend since it was nice out. Unfortunately for me, the wife invited people by on Saturday so I couldn't work on it. When I found out the roof got damaged I pretty much lost my motivation. I had called my neighbor over to give me a hand with moving everything around in the garage. He was busy, and I have no patience so I did it myself and started to just cut the grass (not even really grass at this point) and wasn't going to mess with the car. He came by shortly after and wanted to see how bad it was so we lowered it down. Then he wanted to help me work on it so we started and you see the rest. Once we had it outside I was pretty much committed to at least get it apart and back into the garage. If things had gone better I would have done more for sure. Like I said, at least its progress?

98GrandPrixIraqVet

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I can respect and appreciate the ambition. Ive been in that position before too. Im sure we all have cant seem to catch a break. Youre due for things to go smooth for a while now. LOL damn project cars. I wish I had more room to wrench myself Ive got a Thunderbird that needs alot of work. Unfortunately its gotta wait until were put of this townhome.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
I sure hope it starts going smoothly, I really want to make some serious progress on the car. Any progress lately has been hard fought, and its hard to keep slogging along like that. Every once in a while its nice to get a quick easy win to keep you going.

Believe it or not, I wish I had more room too. The wife and I were talking about that this weekend actually. The big thing is we used to have a shed, and now we don't. On top of that we also now have an ATV and a big ass mower to deal with on top of all of the other shed stuff. So regardless of our plan for the garage expansion and/or shop build, I think a shed is on the short list for next year. Moral of the story, just work on it anyway you never have enough room :)

Good news, the garage door guy just left. Got the opener fixed and added more tension on the spring. Bad news, he didn't say a word about the damage to my car. I'm not at home, but the wife said he didn't mention it. It used to be such a nice car :(

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Whats this, two weeks in a row?!!? That's right, I worked on the car two weeks in a row for the first time in a LONG time. Even though I really didn't want to, I started with welding. First up was the last piece of the hot side.

Then I clamped everything together so I could weld around the v-bands, and also finish up a couple small spots I didn't finish before. No pics of it on the bench, but I threw it all back on the motor really quick when I was done.

The passenger side manifold v-band is still only tacked, and the one on the hotside is not 100% yet either. But everything else is finished up. Not the best welds, but not the worst either. Hopefully it holds

Also chances are I am going to wrap all of it anyway to help keep heat down. I am thinking of adding some kind of flex or slip joint on the longer piece from the driver side manifold.

Anyway, once that was all done I moved onto the motor. To start I pulled off the accessories, and then the heads.

Looks a little rough in here :p

Then I tore down the heads in preparation of having them cleaned up before new seals, springs, and retainers.

Passenger side parts

And the driver side

And the driver side parts

I pulled the seals off too, but just tossed em.

The only real exciting part was that all the lifters are REALLY stuck. I need to figure that out, then I can pull the front cover, cam, oil pump etc. I will probably pop off a cap or two and see what the bearings look like since this motor is so rough. Hopefully it checks out well enough, and I can just clean everything up and start putting it together with all the shit I have laying around FOREVER.

Welp thats all for now. Wish me luck on making it 3 weeks in a row of progress :p

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
I'm back with a small update!! I guess first up, I dropped the heads off to get cleaned up earlier in the week. Plan is just to have them cleaned, then new springs, retainers, and seals. I actually bought some springs a while back but now that I am doing a cam they aren't going to cut it.

So my plan for today was to get the rest of the motor torn down. I started by getting the lifters out, which took some doing. I just used brake clean and worked them around a bit till they came out.

Then I got ready to take the crank pulley off. This holder is pretty sweet.

It was about that time that I realized I'm a dumb ass, and dont have a puller for the crank pulley. I tried a little to get it off, but didn't want to fuck it up so I stopped. Right about then my engine stand plate showed up, so I got that set up real quick.

The stock setup sucks as you can see

MUCH better

After that I oiled the cylinders, and wiped them down some. They dont look great but the motor spins nice and easy. I am planning on cleaning it all up, and I MIGHT do a dingle ball hone and gap the rings. Not really sure yet though.

Once I figured out I was done with the motor for the day I worked on the ATV a bit. I wanted to build a push bar setup for it, and found out that there is a front receiver for it. I was skeptical about it, and was more worried about fitment since I have a plow mount and a winch as well. It took a lot of fucking around, but it did actually fit with no mods. It was just a mother fucker getting it done with everything in the way and my big ass hands.

The skid plate isnt bolted in, I need to trim more around some of the new bolts. I also need to put in my plow rope which is why there is nothing on the winch. I wasn't going to swap the cable yet but it was making my life harder so I just took it off. Now that I have something on the ATV I guess I can go ahead and put a receiver on the SC so I can use it to push, and also for a trailer for drag week.

Thats all for this week. I wasn't even sure I would get any time to work on it so I am glad I got something done. I am not so sure I will be able to get back on it next weekend. We are getting ready to paint the whole house so I have a lot of BS to do to get ready for that. I am gonna try and sneak in some time with the car though.

Welp, thanks for following along!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Got this cheap puller the other day. Hopefully it works and I can get the crank pulley off without too much drama.

I may try and get it done tonight just because. I am a little torn on if I should actually tear it all the way down and do new bearings and rings. I did that on my old motor, which I sold, but it wasn't cheap. This motor is in better condition (in some ways) but still not great. I am going to at least clean it up and make it look presentable.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Damn how'd I miss the update. Looks like some decent progress!

I actually pulled the crank pulley last night.

Not exactly major progress, but it has needed to be done for a while now. I also ordered up the springs, retainers, and valve seals for my heads. They are drop shipping to the shop, so that should all be done soonish.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Well not much to report today. I worked on the motor for a little bit on Saturday with plans to do more Sunday. Unfortunately I ended up busy the entire day Sunday and didn't get back to the car. That's how it goes sometimes though.

I started by taking off the front cover, now that the crank pulley is off. The chain was nice and sloppy, but I kind of expected that. I pulled off the oil pump, timing chain, and then pulled out the cam.

The keen among you will notice the motor is flipped over. That was because I pulled off the truck windage tray as well.

And here is the pile of parts I took off/out

That was it, that was all I got done. I stared at it for a bit thinking if I should pull a cap or two and look at the bearings. I already have a new oil pump, windage tray, pick up (and brace), pan, front cover seal, cam retaining plate, hardware etc. I need to order up my cam and timing set, then weld a drain for the turbo somewhere. I am un-decided if I want to go to the pan or the front cover. I also clearly need to clean up that front cover as well as the rest of the motor and hit it with some paint.

The parts for my heads showed up at the shop today, so hopefully he gets those knocked out for me pretty quick. Thats all I got for now. I want to try and keep moving on this all, but we also have some bigger house stuff happening which may pull me away for a few weeks. I am going to try and balance working on both, but the house stuff is on a clock so it gets priority. Before anyone asks, no its nothing exciting like a shop or anything cool :(

Fingers crossed I have a good update next weekend!!!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
No work has been done yet, but I did swing by and pick up my heads today! I am pretty excited so here we go.

Turns out they were a little worse for wear, but first up I brought my intake manifold with so he could run it through the parts washer. He had to do it like 3 times to get all the shit out of it. They were hard on that thing out in Kuwait I guess!

Next up were the heads. So I knew I was doing cleaning, fixing 3 broken studs, new springs, retainers, and seals. We did all of that, plus new intake valves, a valve job, new keepers, and surfaced them. I am really happy with how they turned out!!!

I know its nothing fancy, but they look a lot better than I expected! Glad I had them done up. I wish I could swing having the short block all done like I did my last one, but just don't have the funds right now.

Well thats all, I was just excited. Hopefully I am able to get some work done with the car tomorrow or Sunday. Stay tuned :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom