Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Broke EF turbo LS SC400 Build

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Welds done. VIDEO OVER! :ROFLMAO:

I dont know what it is, but theres something refreshing about showing your "process" and how you work things out

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Welds done. VIDEO OVER! :ROFLMAO:

I dont know what it is, but theres something refreshing about showing your "process" and how you work things out
Well since you're the only feed back I ever get, I guess I will stick with doing it that way :D

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Exclusive TCG BTS preview

No more notch in the heads! Too bad I returned the head gaskets I had. They wont be going on the motor for a bit, but I am glad they are ready to go now (again).

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Finally the engines getting some love! Cant wait to see it all back together.

"I'll probably turn it up too much" :ROFLMAO:

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Finally the engines getting some love! Cant wait to see it all back together.

"I'll probably turn it up too much" :ROFLMAO:
I wish I could swing doing the engine properly, but Ill at least have some peace of mind this way. Plus it will look a lot better.

What can I say, I know myself too well :D

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Back at it again with another TCG exclusive! Maybe Mook Mook will give a shit this time?!

Got the motor back today. She's still crusty but good to go. Remember I was only able to get it steam cleaned or else it would have needed new cam bearings and shit.

The hone looks great!

The main bearings look like new, but the rod bearings are less great.

Plans are to clean up all the paint and rust, and get a good coat of paint on it. Then clean up all the mating surfaces before reassembly. I am waiting on some GM parts anyway, so I have some time. Next video will have all of the info!

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Is Kyle still alive? He seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
Be aware that steam cleaning it does not guarantee it didn't wash a bunch of crap into the oil passages make sure you get an engine flash rifle cleaning brush kit and use Lots kerosene compressed air and or hot soapy water clean the living s*** out of everything especially the groove behind the cam bearings

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Is Kyle still alive? He seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.
He is, just moved to LaPorte a little while back.

Be aware that steam cleaning it does not guarantee it didn't wash a bunch of crap into the oil passages make sure you get an engine flash rifle cleaning brush kit and use Lots kerosene compressed air and or hot soapy water clean the living s*** out of everything especially the groove behind the cam bearings
Good to know! I will have to check all of that out before assembly. Sucks building when you are semi OCD and have no money :(

I got the stuff I needed to clean up the outside of the block and get it painted today. Hopefully the hardware and stuff I need will be here by next weekend.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Latest SC video is up! In this one I get started on installing the hitch, and building a push bar. I have wanted to do this for a long time to make moving the car around a lot easier. The thought of needing to move it in the winter finally pushed me to do this little project. Check it out and let me know what you guys think!

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
..... and you're on the fifth or sixth time of scrubbing out your oil galleys right? especially behind the cam bearings?
Don't forget behind your ears too

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
..... and you're on the fifth or sixth time of scrubbing out your oil galleys right? especially behind the cam bearings?
Don't forget behind your ears too
Nah, haven't done that at all yet. I started on the block, then stopped. Here is more TCG behind the scenes exclusive content :p My plan was for the next video to be reassembly of the motor. Two things messed that up, the first being it snowballed for parts as I got some money. I was going to do a short block, then a long block. The other part of that was I planned on cleaning up the outside of the block and painting it. You will see all of this in a video, but I started by cleaning up the gasket surfaces, then started wire wheeling the outside of the block. That was doing a shit job, and I was thinking to myself "I could really use a needle scaler". I didn't have an air compressor that could run one though, and I don't know anyone with one either. While I was contemplating all of that I found that Lowes was clearing out the compressors. I went on a 2 week journey of calling about 30 stores, and going to a few to find one in stock and then beating them up on the price because I am poor. So now I have the compressor, and a needle scaler, but I still need everything to get the compressor hooked up.

That is a long way of saying I need to finish the outside of the block first. Then clean everything a million times, including all of the passages in the block. THEN I can finally start reassembly with my insane amount of new GM hardware.

What options are out there to get everything as clean as possibly without destroying the bearings? Is it just elbow grease and patience, or is there a parts washer that will do a good job?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Just watched! That compressor should definitely come in handy for things. And stuff.

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
The latest video is up! In this one I finish the push bar, and then immediately break it :D As always let me know what you guys think of the videos!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
New video is up, and we are finally getting to the good stuff. In this one I start engine assembly!! This video has been a nightmare to make. As I explain I had a lot of corrupt files, and then lost a TON of footage. It took me forever to edit this into something that hopefully works. There are still some artifacts that show up, but after 4 days editing I figured they were fine to leave in :) As always let me know what you guys think!

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yessss. I was gonna come into this thread after work today and complain about no new vids. So....you're lucky. :LOL: Will watch tonight.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yes, finally engine stuff!! I don't know why but I love watching stuff get masked off. but i absolutely hate doing it myself :LOL:

Definitely some nice progress, cant wait to see more of it go together!

OP
B

Broke EF

Addict
Reaction score
Yessss. I was gonna come into this thread after work today and complain about no new vids. So....you're lucky. :LOL: Will watch tonight.
Man, I have been trying to get a video out for a while now. I wanted to have this one posted Tuesday the latest, and that clearly didn't work. I hope I don't have to do that much editing (with so many problems) any time soon!!

Yes, finally engine stuff!! I don't know why but I love watching stuff get masked off. but i absolutely hate doing it myself :LOL:

Definitely some nice progress, cant wait to see more of it go together!
I have had boxes of parts for the engine all over for so damn long. I am not sure if I am more exited for the engine to come together, or just to get some boxes out of the garage :) A little behind the scenes, I decided to assemble it before I paint it. I went back out there today since the video was finally done. Nothing went well, and it should be all easy going. I avoided a disaster, but now I have to order some parts again before I can move on. One day everything will go nice and easy :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom