🏡 Better Homes Brag / Complain About a DIY Project Thread

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Appreciate it! I did all this myself, I'm not a "professional" nor do I play one on TV... but I've been around the block a lot and can do damn near anything in home construction. Three way switches still throw me for a loop without drawing them out first! :rofl:

The copper is 14ga for everything but the ground, which is 12ga - as its what I had available.

These crimp on copper connections (Nibco) are amazing and make plumbing work a BREEZE. Every prior copper project, I soldered. My buddy told me he had a Milwaukee crimp tool, so I grabbed that sucker with a quickness and WOW does it make copper simple.
I was actually wondering about that because I didnt see any solder. That's awesome.

Reactions: Eagle

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Appreciate it! I did all this myself, I'm not a "professional" nor do I play one on TV... but I've been around the block a lot and can do damn near anything in home construction. Three way switches still throw me for a loop without drawing them out first! :rofl:

The copper is 14ga for everything but the ground, which is 12ga - as its what I had available.

These crimp on copper connections (Nibco) are amazing and make plumbing work a BREEZE. Every prior copper project, I soldered. My buddy told me he had a Milwaukee crimp tool, so I grabbed that sucker with a quickness and WOW does it make copper simple.
btw thats one expensive tool :rofl:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Yeah i was going to say, I saw the no sweat fittings and was jealous as I had to sweat in about 20 connections to do our Kitchen move and it was a huge pain in the ass. Wish they would let us use Pex. I got way better at it as I went but there is an art to it.. (like drywall) that sometimes eludes me.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Had 3 days off in a row so I got a lot of stuff done around the house lately.
I built a screen door for the baby’s room so we can leave her real door open at night and not have to worry about our cats jumping into her crib and smothering her or something. I’m only about 50% done with it right now as it needs paint but that’s the wife’s job so we will see how long that takes.
no pics yet but I’m proud of how nice it turned out for a 2 hour in the workshop project.

next was my goddamn gazebo. I actually started it last Sunday but that was just the easy parts, this weekend i built the roof and such. Pain in the ass is an understatement but it came out great and the fit and finish is very good for a kit. No problems whatsoever with the assembly. Looks great and I’m excited about being in the shade and not needing to take down the canopy before winter

2287C05E-3D8D-4DF5-B800-D0BA9838EAA8.jpeg

9A953231-A52D-4ED6-A7DE-69018AFE6C54.jpeg

67403CCC-BD6D-432C-97E5-C754C8426C95.jpeg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Oh I also finally moved my thermostat to a non-stupid place in my house. When I moved in like 4 1/2 years ago the thermostat was in this stupid little hallway going to our guest bathroom away from everything. It also was just a basic builder grade 4 wire setup and I run a nest (was an original preorder customer like 8 years ago) so I should have a common wire. I bought some thermostat wire (which is wayyyy more expensive than you’d think) and relocated my thermostat to a good spot in the main living area. It’s still out of the sun and and weird airflow, but now since it isn’t in a stupid hallway it actually picks up the motion properly and has a common wire circuit so I won’t fry the board in my furnace.

image.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Wife wanted a colored mood light for the kids room that we could change from our phones. Before she spent any money I had a crack at making it with the spare parts on have.

Proof of concept done. Pi zero controlling an RGB light accessible from a webpage interface to change colors and turn on/off.

Now just to decide what kind of case and if I want to go with nice controllable LED strips or keep it simple with LED lights. Also gotta spice up that webpage a bit lol

20200428_174748_1.jpg

Screenshot_20200428-175117_1.png

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Finally got around to customizing my garage door opener webpage. Added the garage camera live view directly into the open/close page. It's so nice being able to see the garage before opening/closing without another app

View attachment 56556
Wish I had your skills to do shit like that. You buy a bigger car its not going to fit in that garage lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
im of course just giving you shit.

menards component shelving is KEY for my garage/shed being in somewhat order currently.

being able to buy individual pieces is awesome. and it's durable as fuck.
I have awesome shelving. you just cant see it because the camera is more focused on the door :rofl:

Thread Info