🏡 Better Homes Brag / Complain About a DIY Project Thread

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
42” uppers weren’t a big thing back in the day, soffits allowed them to run mechanical shit or make it so there wasn’t a gap between the ceilings and the top of the uppers.

love the Quietwalk underlayment, have had nothing but good installs using it.

Did you order the cabinets locally Shawn1112 Shawn1112 or are they just box store cabinets?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
42” uppers weren’t a big thing back in the day, soffits allowed them to run mechanical shit or make it so there wasn’t a gap between the ceilings and the top of the uppers.

love the Quietwalk underlayment, have had nothing but good installs using it.

Did you order the cabinets locally Shawn1112 Shawn1112 or are they just box store cabinets?
Menards but custom built. Took 6 weeks to get them. I fucked up one spot on my measurements. I forgot to mention a half wall. So now need another upper and lower filler.

Reactions: FESTER665

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

i mean I kind of understand soffits if you need to run piping or ductwork but not just for no reason. I had a house built in 73 and they just ran the smaller upper cabinets with a gap on top. In fact that’s how my house (built in 07) is now. Of course when I redo my kitchen I’ll do full height cabinets but for now I just threw lights on top of them shining up so it looks nice

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
i mean I kind of understand soffits if you need to run piping or ductwork but not just for no reason. I has a house built in 73 and they just ran the smaller upper cabinets with a gap on top. In fact that’s how my house (built in 07) is now. Of course when I redo my kitchen I’ll do full height cabinets but for now I just threw lights on top of them shining up so it looks nice
Absolutely nothing in my soffit except the fucked up electric in one area

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Shawn1112 Shawn1112, how did you cut that vinyl flooring? I did our laundry room and just used a straight edge and a new utility knife, but it wasn’t super easy. This new “luxury vinyl” is pretty tough stuff.

I think I’m going to cut out an area of my wood floor around my front door and replace it with that nice vinyl as an area for people to remove their shoes and what not, and if I do it I think I’m going to buy a flooring shear. They make decent ones on amazon and it’s supposed to make the job wayyyy easier

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Shawn1112 Shawn1112, how did you cut that vinyl flooring? I did our laundry room and just used a straight edge and a new utility knife, but it wasn’t super easy. This new “luxury vinyl” is pretty tough stuff.

I think I’m going to cut out an area of my wood floor around my front door and replace it with that nice vinyl as an area for people to remove their shoes and what not, and if I do it I think I’m going to buy a flooring shear. They make decent ones on amazon and it’s supposed to make the job wayyyy easier
I read that you should use a utility knife, score and snap. I must have had some thicker vinyl because last night I tried that and it sucked. This morning just for shits and giggle I pulled out the 12” chop saw. Cut it like a hot knife thru butter. Corner cuts and other cuts used jigsaw.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I plan on doing LVP throughout the house eventually, and I would think I would use my compound miter saw with a blade that has a lot of teeth like a finishing blade....

Other option would be to flip the blade and have it cut backwards like vinyl siding? :dunno:
Didn’t even use a finishing blade. Regular wood blade worked just fine.

Reactions: FESTER665

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Project Covid Commode:

Started last Sat morning with a messy basement.

Installing a full bath in the basement. Rough in was there for the toilet and tub, which will actually be a shower. Framing, electrical, plumbing, lighting, vanity, COMMODE, and all is 100% my work.

Here's a few pics:

20200411_105337.jpg

20200411_105341.jpg

20200412_165525.jpg

20200412_165535.jpg

20200413_171822.jpg

20200413_171845.jpg

20200413_213656.jpg

20200413_213715.jpg

20200413_220713.jpg

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I worked on it all day Sat, Sun and yesterday after 5pm - every day going to about 10-11p. I think I'm making good progress.

Tonight will be:
- Finish off the plumbing far enough to be able to turn up the toilet temporarily - really just need to put in the shower valve, toilet valve, and sink valves.
- Electrical far enough to turn on the circuit breaker that's already installed to the wire that's already ran
- Install more of the pinewood outer wall

Drywall and shower will be installed after the inspection which hopefully happens this Friday.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Nice work, question. How big are the copper water lines, they look bigger than normal.
All this work self taught as it really looks like someone who does this everyday for a living did all the work, its pretty impressive imo.

Appreciate it! I did all this myself, I'm not a "professional" nor do I play one on TV... but I've been around the block a lot and can do damn near anything in home construction. Three way switches still throw me for a loop without drawing them out first! :rofl:

The copper is 14ga for everything but the ground, which is 12ga - as its what I had available.

These crimp on copper connections (Nibco) are amazing and make plumbing work a BREEZE. Every prior copper project, I soldered. My buddy told me he had a Milwaukee crimp tool, so I grabbed that sucker with a quickness and WOW does it make copper simple.

Thread Info