🔧 BUILD blue-sun's GTI Thread

General Information

Staring a new thread for my GTI.

As I posted in the IllDub thread, last week I traded in my 2017 Jetta GLI 6 speed for a new 2021 GTI SE in Cornflower Blue with the DSG transmission.

When I purchased the GLI, I had originally wanted a GTI but they were generally more expensive than the Jetta GLI's and the interior space (rear legroom - we have 11 yr old twins) was just a little bit bigger, so that's what I went with.

I've been watching the payoff amount for the last 6 months and the trade in/retail values on the GLI to see if it would be worth upgrading. Plus, once a month the wife and I would switch cars so I can take the dog to the groomers in her Edge ST (toss the dogs old crate in the hatch of the Edge is much easier than having her up front with me while I shift - I have done it but it's not ideal) and she started complaining about how much she hates driving stick in traffic, etc. I hated how the MK6 GLI had shitty headlights (no HID from the factory even through all the other lights were OEM LED's) and the lack of a LSD made driving in the snow horrible, even with snow tires.

Now, I knew that back in 2019 they did a limited run of cornflower blue GTI "Rabbit" editions, but that was for 2019 only. About 2-3 months ago, we were driving on 55S and I happen to see a cornflower blue GTI and commented about how sharp that color was in person but thought nothing of it, just assumed it was a rabbit edition (I don't know if it was a rabbit or a 2021 version).

I saw that new GLI's had trim levels like the GTI's have had and initially I was looking at those online and saw VW had some really good deals on them. So I started surfing on cars.com and autotrader.com to see what inventory was like locally. I wanted a grey with the black appearance package or a red with the black appearance package in DSG but could not really find one in stock locally. This led me to going straight to local VW dealers websites and low and behold, I saw a cornflower blue GTI in inventory at one of the dealers. I hopped back on cars.com and started searching for all cornflower blue GTI's in Chicagoland and saw there were only 5. 3 or 4 were DSG and 1 was manual. This was over Ester weekend. Monday morning I start calling dealers, 1 was already sold. This left 4 in the area on cars.com. One of the dealer site had it marked as "sale pending", so this left 3. One of the dealers happened to be the same dealership (City VW Evanston - formerly of the Autobahn VW group) where I bought my GLI. So Tuesday morning I called them and the same salesguy (Mario Grbavac - he gave me a good deal on both cars, go see him!) who I bought my GLI from was still working there and we negotiated a sale price and they matched the Carvana/Vroom estimates on my GLI, so after work I drove to Evanston and did the trade.

He had all the sales paperwork ready for me, I was done signing his papers in under 3 minutes from walking in the door, I just had to wait for the Finance manager, as one tends to do.

No major mods, but I can never leave a car alone.

Already got tints installed, Llumar Ceramic tints all around.
50% on the windshield
35% on the rest of the windows
Smoked Transparent Vinyl over the triangle windows by the mirrors (done by my tint guy)

I had some of that same smoked vinyl that I previously used on part of the tails and mirrors caps on the GLI but I ran out. I ordered some more, or what I thought was more but it was the wrong color, it was light smoke and very light for what I wanted. But I didn't let it go to waste, so I put it on the rear bumper reflectors which darkened it up just enough.

Some Yellow Lamin-x foglight film has been ordered and will be arriving this week and a Euro Auto DRL switch so I can run the foglights independently.
Also ordered some DSG flappy paddle extensions off eBay (blue aluminum ones)
Tentatively have an appointment with lo.run from ILLdub to have him do a gloss black vinyl on the rear of the roof this weekend.

Other mods planned -
Badgeskins for the front and rear VW emblems
OBDeleven or VAGCOM to disable the soundkator.
Some kind of CBE or Downpipe so I can have more of the DSG cracks and pops.

Posting on a PC, will reply from mobile with pics.

1688754732706.png

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
nope, though you can get them precut at Badgeskins, it was way cheaper to buy a sheet on Amazon and do it myself.

here’s what I ordered:

ORACAL 8300 Transparent Dark Smoke 12" x 24" Colored Window Tinting Vinyl Roll Including Hard Yellow Detailer Squeegee (1 Roll Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PRDXR6/?tag=tcg21-20

When can I swing by and we do my SS taillights and side markers. I work in the Yorkville border on 34.

Reactions: blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
So I’m not positive that I’ll be keeping the light smoke on the bumper reflectors, with a pen light, it doesn’t reflect that much (duh) but we’ll see if I keep them on. I know the Badgeskins one for the bumper reflectors is a honeycomb shape and now I get it.

65292E56-D672-48CB-9844-C9DA2736B66D.jpeg

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
My Yellow Lamin-X foglight film is out for delivery, if you're to believe the tracking # they gave me. Not sure if I'll get to install them today, but I'm going to try.

I have done Yellow Lamin-x in every car with separate foglights except 1 since the early 2000's when I had my MR2.

Fun fact, back in the day, when I NA to Turbo swapped my MR2, I found and bought separate NEW or very good condition OEM foglights for it. Most NA's came pre-wired for foglights, you just need the lights themselves, a relay and a switch. I wanted yellow foglight film, Lamin-x didn't offer one for the MR2, so I contacted them and set up a group buy on the MR2 forums and sent them my yet to be installed foglights so they could make a kit for them.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
My Yellow Lamin-X foglight film is out for delivery, if you're to believe the tracking # they gave me. Not sure if I'll get to install them today, but I'm going to try.

I have done Yellow Lamin-x in every car with separate foglights except 1 since the early 2000's when I had my MR2.

Fun fact, back in the day, when I NA to Turbo swapped my MR2, I found and bought separate NEW or very good condition OEM foglights for it. Most NA's came pre-wired for foglights, you just need the lights themselves, a relay and a switch. I wanted yellow foglight film, Lamin-x didn't offer one for the MR2, so I contacted them and set up a group buy on the MR2 forums and sent them my yet to be installed foglights so they could make a kit for them.
Curious to see how that looks. Wouldn’t mind doing that to mine but kinda looks like it’s be a pain in the ass.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Delivery status says it'll be here today. I'm working from home today, so if it comes not in the regular mail truck, USPS packages usually come in the late morning, so it'll be a lunchtime application. If it comes regular USPS then we're near the end of the route and we have some stuff going on early this afternoon, so it'll be a later tonight install.

I didn't order any film for the headlights, yet. I had clear on the GLI headlights but I was kind of thinking of going with yellow over the headlights, but I'm not 100% sold on that idea yet.

If I don't go yellow on the headlights, it'll be clear or the lightest smoke tint (possibly).

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Badgeskins have been ordered for the emblems. I hate that the front smooth badge has to be ordered as a kit. I would have preferred to just covered the front chrome VW in black like I did on the GLI. Ordered a black background with cornflower blue VW but asked if that could be reversed (cornflower blue background with black VW). We’ll see what I end up getting. Gloss black for the back and ordered an itty bitty steering wheel badge as well.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Car has 527, so I’ve driven it 507 miles. Last week before the ChicagoAutoPros meet I ran by through the touchless wash and at that time I sprayed some all purpose cleaner on the wheels before driving into it. This is the amount of brake dust on these black wheels during break in period, not spirited, about half highway miles. Can’t wait to see how much brake dust will be on it when I get to drive normally.

47ECFE6E-4D0C-424E-B251-5F20C5DA9FB6.jpeg

5082E2C2-4342-466C-838D-6BDEF20CF7A4.jpeg

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
C5 wheel armor and that’ll come off with a pressure washer alone. I liked my black wheels but I would clean them and then could drive a couple miles and see that brake dust haze on them.

Thanks, I'll add that to my detailing shopping list.

This winter, I hand polished and waxed 2 of the 4 stock gloss 22s from the Edge ST. The other 2 had been curbed, twice each, and were getting refinished. I was going to wait and do those other 2 after they had a chance to off-gas, so maybe that'll be a fun weekend project for this summer.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Car has 527, so I’ve driven it 507 miles. Last week before the ChicagoAutoPros meet I ran by through the touchless wash and at that time I sprayed some all purpose cleaner on the wheels before driving into it. This is the amount of brake dust on these black wheels during break in period, not spirited, about half highway miles. Can’t wait to see how much brake dust will be on it when I get to drive normally.

View attachment 86533

View attachment 86534
Welcome to the that MK7 life.

Reactions: blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
So as I’ve been posting the new GTI pics on IG, an old buddy of mine posted that he was getting a Civic Type R the day after I bought the GTI. I used to work with him back in Arlington Heights and after I left that job and moved to Yorkville I kind an f lost touch with him. He was always into Honda’s and is currently working on a K20 swapped civic (EK, EG, I forget which model, but it’s a 96-00 coupe). I was in Sycamore this morning meeting a guy with VCDS to try and turn off the stupid Soundaktor (it failed for some unknown reason) and a few years back said friend moved to Cortland. So we decided to meet up and catch up. He tossed me the keys to the CTR and he hopped in the GTI and we went for a quick drive. He had me put the CTR in R+ mods and give it the beans! (He had to go to Ohio to get this color at MSRP so it was broken in already)

man, I love that car. It was on my short list of manual cars I would have wanted to argue with the wife about getting.

he liked the GTI, it’s more go kart and smooth than how “race car for the street” the CTR is. I want one. Only snapped this one pic of the two.

682FD030-A289-44C6-8C00-750035CAEDA4.jpeg

Thread Info