đź‘‹ INTRO blue-sun’s 2017 Jetta GLI thread - PIC HEAVY WARNING 56K for Yaj Yak.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
New to this forum, been on a ton of forums nearly last 20 years (damn I feel old) with the same/similar username. Happened to see a former Mazdaspeed member post on IG recently about this forum, so I thought I'd check it out.

Been into 4 cyl turbo imports nearly all my life. I did have a few non turbo non import, but I tend to find myself in a 4 cyl turbo all the time. I've owned my dream car 4 times, I don't currently own one (because wife and kids and life and no money for project cars), the Toyota MR2. The last one I owned I did a JDM motor swap and put in tons of mods, only to never drive it and eventually, sold it.

Before kids and marriage, I used to detail cars as a side gig. Did alot of subaru's through NASIOC and when I used to hang out at the original P & L Motorsports location near the airport.

Cars I've owned/driven, in the best chronological order that I can remember.

1985 Toyota Corolla GTS hatch (dad bought it new in 85 when I was a wee lad, learned to drive stick on it)
1989 Camaro IROC Z-28 (T-Tops baby!)
1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (bought new non turbo model as I could not afford the turbo model. Got it home and state farm promptly got jacked way up to 3-4x more than I was quoted and had to almost immediately get rid of it for a cheap car)
1992 Toyota Camry
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
1997 Dodge Stratus
1991 Toyota MR2 (NA and automatic, I missed the 91 T and hated the Stratus, found a local one and jumped on it)
2001 Subaru WRX (World Rally Blue baby!)
1995 Acura Integra GSR
1993 Toyota MR2 (ended up doing the NA-Gen 2 JDM Turbo swap. lots and lots of mods, I really wish I would have kept this car, she was a beauty!)
1995 Honda Accord LX (bought this cheap to drive while the MR2 was getting swapped and used as a winter car)
1991 Acura Integra GS (replaced the Accord as the cheap winter car)
2001 Mazda Protege MP3 (replaced the the Integra as the daily driver while the MR2 sat. Handled amazing, really fun car to drive. Slow as shit, but fun to drive! They only made 1500 of these and I had one of them. I'd love to get one again someday.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 (sold both the MR2 and the Protege MP3 to buy a new MS3) This car was a beast and I loved it. plenty of power, and storage. Factory LSD and with some snow tires, I used to pass trucks in snowstorms. Really a great car that I also miss and would love to own again someday. Bought this car about 2 years before we had kids and it came in handy.
2008 Infiniti G35xS Sedan. Tried to get a car that was more "age appropriate" and found out quickly that I hated it.
2017 Jetta GLI current car, it's a 6 speed manual, last year of the MK6 GLI that was offered in Manual. The '18 was DSG only. No real mods to it other than some small cosmetic stuff. Euro light switch to run the fogs independently, euro OEM shifter with solid shifter bushings for a shorter throw. That's about it.

Wife has a 2019 Ford Edge ST, the nice blue color. She used to have a 2015 Sonata Sport Turbo. Someday I'll tell the story of her racing an Eclipse GST on 355 into triple digits and smoking it. ;)

Looking forward to maybe coming out to so cars and coffees someday!

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Welcome to the forums!

Be sure to check out all of the other sections of the site too, we discuss a million different things on here!

Thanks! I'm looking around now to see what's here. Looks like I missed the last cars and coffee, but I'll try and be active here and watch out for the next one. I used to go to the Thursday night Borders meets in Schaumburg starting around 01 until they got shut down. Then it moved to Streets of Woodfield for a while until street racing happened. I remember when those got shut down if anyone dared open their hood and that's about the time I moved from the north bubs to Yorkville and pretty much stopped going to meets. We moved in early '07.

Seeing your username reminds of a guy in high school, his dad bought a new 93 Teal Cobra with the chrome wheels and he got to drive it to school a few times. Love those cars in that color. That's a "if I ever win the lotto I'll get one" car of mine!

I got my first car in 95/96ish and I am on my 6th car, so you got me beat pretty bad!

Yeah, for a while there I had major car ADHD. I should have been doing 1 year leases on new cars back then, would have saved me a ton of money comparted to the negative equity!

Though, a few of those cars were CHEAP. I think I paid $300 for the Integra GS cuz it was rusty and faded paint. It was red but it looked more like a chalky pink color that I spent a bunch of time buffing and getting back to red. Though for a good 2-3 months I drove around with only half the hood polished and the other half as is.

Reactions: FESTER665

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I just picked up some cheap wheels on craigslist and dipped them in ShadowBlack from dipyourcar.com and will become my winter wheels. The Jetta is horrible in the snow. At first, I thought it was just the tires, since I spent the last 10 years on either snow tires on the MS3 or with the AWD of the G35xS. The Edge ST is getting the winter wheels put back on this weekend at Discount Tire and I'll be pricing out snow tires for the GLI.

The MS3 had General Articmax tires on it, they were a too low speedware rating and had soft sidewalls. It made driving aggressive not so pleasant in normal dry days. Great in the snow, but shit otherwise.

I'm thinking 2 more years with the Jetta GLI then my plan is to go electric. Tesla 3 Performance would be ideal. Any Tesla3 would be nice. I am intrigued by the Chevy Bolt. A few guys over on NASIOC have the Bolt and rave about the around town performance. Instant torque, they say they've surprised some mustangs and BMW's in it. I've yet to drive either, though I did stop by Current Automotive in Naperville a earlier this year, before covid to see a Tesla 3 in person and ask some general questions. I think it's the future and I'm ready to get on board. And then buy a shitbox 90s Honda or if I can, another MR2 and tinker with it on the weekends.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Quite the eclectic list of cars. Would love to see any pics of them if you’ve got em.

My work blocks IMGUR, where I have a bunch of pics. I'll see if I can post some tonight or from mobile later.

Welcome welcome! More VW love pleases me.

I wanted a GTI. I sat at Pugi VW in both GTI and they had a GLI back in early 17 when I started looking. I put the drivers chair where I would sit and I sat behind my seat, the GLI has a few more inches of room back there, and with growing kids, I needed the extra space!

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I also have a shitload of Hot Wheels. I started collecting years ago, mainly the MR2s and I have nearly every Hot Wheel version of the 2nd gen on a card, including most of the hard to find variations and some errors. All in, I think I have about 400 Hot Wheels and I started organizing them and selling them off late last year. We moved this spring and they are all in boxes and in my basement. I need to reorganize them and get prices for them and try and sell them again.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Welcome fellow VAG owner!

Thanks! What VAG do you have? I remember test driving an 01 GTI back in the day at Autobahn Mt Prospect (a high school buddy was sales manager there for a long time and I got my GLI from Evanston Autobahn from a different high school buddy)

edit: I also work in the Wheaton/Warrenville area, right off 88 and Winfield Rd, so you may see me around!

Reactions: The Broken Regal

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
How you remember all those cars is beyond me. Welcome to the TCG family! We definitely have a multitude of conversations going on all over the place. Do some browsing and enjoy yourself!

I remember each of those cars, they all have a story associated with them in my brain (where I was working at the time, who I was dating, etc) and I also cheated, there's a "Cars you've owned" thread over on NASIOC that I referenced. :LOL: I made the list here first and didn't miss any but I had a few in the wrong order.

• Haha
Reactions: ChrisRac

Thread Info