Apocalypse Investment thread.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I'd be hesitant on Boeing....they were in the shitter well before all this shit went down. I'm also hesitant about the airlines...people are rumbling about nationalizing the airlines because we've had to bail them out so much already, what the hell is the point. I was big on buying Ford back in '08-'09, but didn't have the cash coming out of college, but I don't foresee the same bright tunnel for Ford as before...I'm also hesitant on Tesla as I think they were way overvalued before, and maybe that doesn't return. I'm sure it will still increase, but I don't think it'll have the same return as some other companies that are in the shitter right now because of the market as a whole, and will bounce back....

But I don't think we're close to seeing the bottom yet...I think the quarantines, shutdowns, and furloughs/layoffs have just started. Investors are not buying into the Fed and Trump's scheme to bolster the economy really either. I think Trump's plans for $1000 checks, or whatever, is centered around the election and not bolstering the economy or a stimulus plan. But most of that money is going to the mortgage companies, utility companies, and grocery stores.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I'd be hesitant on Boeing....they were in the shitter well before all this shit went down. I'm also hesitant about the airlines...people are rumbling about nationalizing the airlines because we've had to bail them out so much already, what the hell is the point. I was big on buying Ford back in '08-'09, but didn't have the cash coming out of college, but I don't foresee the same bright tunnel for Ford as before...I'm also hesitant on Tesla as I think they were way overvalued before, and maybe that doesn't return. I'm sure it will still increase, but I don't think it'll have the same return as some other companies that are in the shitter right now because of the market as a whole, and will bounce back....

But I don't think we're close to seeing the bottom yet...I think the quarantines, shutdowns, and furloughs/layoffs have just started. Investors are not buying into the Fed and Trump's scheme to bolster the economy really either. I think Trump's plans for $1000 checks, or whatever, is centered around the election and not bolstering the economy or a stimulus plan. But most of that money is going to the mortgage companies, utility companies, and grocery stores.

Nationalizing the airlines could be a disaster too. Same with the banks. Id really have to research that and consider howd theyd even propose going about that!

Also whatever happens with the MAGA Bucks from Trump is a short term solution to tread water for the meantime. Eventually well all pay for it of course.

Reactions: SHARKBITEATTACK

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I know everybody hates WFC but their stock is a bargain IMO, especially with the strong dividends they have been paying.
$27 a share and $2/share annually in dividend is pretty good ROI imo.
Cramer is positive on their new CEO figuring it out and they seem to be trying to right the ship based on the clawbacks and other changes they have been making.

I'm steering clear of Boeing, who knows what their bailout will look like and as Kensington Kensington said, they had more issues than Miley Cyrus before this started.
Airlines are tempting, especially Delta who has a strong history of paying a dividend.
But, I look at Delta, $21/share, WFC for $27/share.
I can buy ~28% more DAL than WFC.
Delta 52 week high $63.44, WFC 52 week high $54.75.
Likelihood of making money in the next 52 weeks - nod to WFC by a pretty large margin.
DAL paid $.40/share dividend this last quarter. I don't see them doing that again right away not even close.
WFC paid $.45/share dividend this last quarter. I see a possibility that they may reach that point again in the near future, esp if mortgage rates drop off.\

Edit - added some logic, I may be in left field...maybe not. IDK. Not a professional by any means.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Thats the kind of info i like to see i dont know enough.

I really need to take investing classes and burn some VA benefits or something to edumacate my ass! :ROFLMAO:

I'm far from a pro, but the way I look at WFC for example is:
I buy for $27/share
They pay me say an average of $.45/quarter dividend. May be less, may be more, using this for easy math example.
That means they are borrowing my money and paying me back the loan over 15 years via their dividend.
At the end of those 15 years, assuming the dividend continues about the same average I then hold the stock for free.
I haven't looked a bunch but that's the best dividend/purchase price repayment rate I have found.
I would love to see a better one.

Reactions: Rent Free

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Nationalizing the airlines could be a disaster too. Same with the banks. Id really have to research that and consider howd theyd even propose going about that!

Also whatever happens with the MAGA Bucks from Trump is a short term solution to tread water for the meantime. Eventually well all pay for it of course.

I think it’s a long shot for nationalizing the airlines...super complicated and I don’t think it’s worth getting the government’s hands in. Are we worried about a bankruptcy after/during bail out, a la GM?

Reactions: Jon01

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I'm hesitant on airlines right now. If I do make the decision to buy, I'm looking really hard at Skywest. They operate regional jets. As soon as quarantines lift, I have a feeling the regional jets will be up in the air and mostly back to normal due to domestic business travel taking off again. They were around $15 today (up from $12 yesterday) down from a 52 week high at $66.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Just have to sit and wait how it all unfolds...

/tinfoilhat new world order? Single government and currency? Or just another global recession?

i mean, I sure as shit am no expert...but I don’t think there’s any easy or quick way to turn things around...this is shit the likes no one has ever seen, no one can tell you how it’s going to turn out or where this will lead...Trump is doing his best to keep global trade going, but for how long? How long is it going to take China to gear back up? The EU is a shitshow too...with all of these shut downs, quarantines, etc it will have to impact supply chains...food, goods...when will that hit?

Reactions: LikeABauce302

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Contemplating putting a bunch of money into shares for the place I work, WWD. We were up around 122 before the shit hit the fan with this virus. Was down to 55 yesterday.
This all feels like it’ll be somewhat temporary for the aerospace industry especially as a supplier to the whole market (commercial, regional, business & military). Merging with Hexcel that expands the footprint in the supplier space even more.
Only thing I’m not that familiar with is the industrial side of our business. But the acquisition of L’Orange last year and the strive to improve diesel emission globally I can’t see that bringing it down.

Thread Info