Apocalypse Investment thread.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
How’s everyone’s portfolios doing?
I've been steadily throwing more money in here and there. When I see a dip, I tend to buy some more. When it's up, I cautiously buy if I think it's something worth it. Last couple days took a hit, but after hours went back up by half of the drop. Let's see what awaits today.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
How’s everyone’s portfolios doing?

down about 15% YTD today. With all the volatility that changes on the reg.

-haven’t touched my 403a or 403b
-threw a couple extra g’s in my Roth instead of , bought SBUX, DIS, and ESPO all near the bottom of what they’ve seen the last couple months out of pure luck.

I don’t fuck with my 403a and b dollars. One is in a target date, other is split between a total market index, emerging market and us bond index

I don’t invest in a brokerage account because spare money is better saved than invested for me right now. That’s all going into saving a bigger emergency fund and short term goals in the 1-5yr range.

Roth is where I “play” with money. Still a buy and hold indefinitely situation there but it’s fun to try and make some picks.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
So I pretty much know nothing about investing... Where's a good place to start? Get a broker?

start by watching CNBC or Fox Business channel and eventually some of the stuff their saying will start to make sense. Theres an app called Robinhood that alot of people use to trade stocks and its commission free. Make a little money and the addiction goes from there ;)

Reactions: importcrew

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I also use Robinhood primarily. That's where I make most trades. I do have a few long term projections on some stocks with Robinhood but I use it primarily for short term (less than a year).

I also use ETrade for long term (managed), Chase for a couple small stocks that I set and forget (wanted to see how it was with investing with chase), and also Webull moreso because of the free stock promotions.

Robinhood also gives out a stock for referrals (one to the person signing up, and one to the referee).

I have a wide variety of stocks on Robinhood. XOP and FANG being one of the newest ones and looking at how it will do in the future.

Reactions: frank

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
So I pretty much know nothing about investing... Where's a good place to start? Get a broker?
Start by contributing whatever you need, to get your employer’s maximum matching in your 401k.

second, max out contributions for a ROTH IRA. If you make too much to be eligible, contribute to a traditional IRA.

third, after you max the IRA contributions go back and contribute more to your 401k until you hit the max ($19,500)

if you still have money to invest after that, then worry about opening an individual brokerage account.

No one here has the kind of money to throw around to actually do enough trading to make any real money for income. you’re crazy paying short term capital gains tax when there is so much tax advantage to holding money in your 401 and IRA.

Throwing a few g’s around for fun is cool though. IMO you need to be at least maxing an IRA before you start gambling on the market.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
How's everyone's 'vesting going? I started using another platform other than Robinhood. Webull is the platform. I like it much better than Robinhood. It gives better data, you can comment on tickers (and follow commenters), and look at the bigger market picture.

(referral link if interested = Trade Stocks, ETF and Options on Webull! Open an account and get a free stock. Deposit and get a second free stock. https://act.webull.com/e/fVLBsHdASyMD/39c/us_na_invite_year02 )

My stocks are definitely up from before. I did have a share of Amazon but when I reached $50 profit, I realized the length of time plus the cost of the share could be used elsewhere. I'm glad I did that. Bought into LK (Luckin Coffee) and it paid off! Made thousands in the course of a couple weeks but definitely felt the emotion ride when it dipped the first week I put my bet on it. Waited it out and it skyrocketed.

How's everybody else doing?

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
UPRO and AMZN certainly worked out. I'm gonna scale out of the UPRO and get back in to the less risky SPY. AMZN and IRM are keepers. IRM for the dividend, AMZN for the fact that they're taking over the world.

Screenshot_20200606-080903__01.jpg

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Once again I'm late to the party on this one. I have NEVER bought a stock in my life until today. Had a friend telling me about the Robinhood app, decided to sign up and throw $1,000 in there. Not much to do on a Saturday besides research so that's what I've been doing.
I've been using Robinhood and Webull. Webull gives you better charts, data, and news. There's also comments where people troll, post informative info, or you can ask for suggestions.

I've been playing heavy with risky stocks lately. The first week of one of them, I dropped almost 1k off the bat, but the following week or so, I made 6k. All last week was pretty much bearish for me except Friday when stocks bounced back. Thinking of buying over 1000 shares of some "penny" stocks that has a chance of it going towards a couple dollars.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Once again I'm late to the party on this one. I have NEVER bought a stock in my life until today. Had a friend telling me about the Robinhood app, decided to sign up and throw $1,000 in there. Not much to do on a Saturday besides research so that's what I've been doing.
One thing to keep in mind.... DO NOT let emotion play you for a fool. It's not hard for it to do so when you start seeing a lot of RED.

Thread Info