Aftermarket Warranties, how do I do this?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
The M3's factory warranty will be expiring this summer, and based on everything I've read, I should pickup an non-BMW aftermarket warranty.

I put 15ish thousand miles on the car per year and want to protect myself from costly repairs.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Sell M3 and buy a reliable car like a Furd or Chebby.

Seriously though, I've also heard good things about Fidelity.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Nice. I’ll check them out for sure.

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
Ive had good luck (on the service writer side) with Fidelity and (believe it or not) a warranty called FORD ESP.

Ive dealt with probably over 30 warranty companies....

MOST dont do shit for you... or they will cover $80/hr where you have to pay the rest... etc.

Anything you get (brochure) or whatnot.. id be glad to look it over for you to see the fine print, Rick.

SMRTSS1

Reaction score
FORD ESP, Fidelity or Endurance (supreme, Premium or platinum).

I have an extended thru Endurance and it pretty much covers everything and it’s affordable. I shopped around for a long time and Endurance fit all my needs, isn’t over the top expensive and is easy to get approvals for repairs.

https://www.endurancewarranty.com/lp/auto-warranty/?iv_=__iv_p_1_a_92099085_g_4679942445_w_aud-42660796005:kwd-12762841571_h_9021508_ii__d_m_v__n_g_c_264773997041_k_endurance warranty_m_e_l__t__e__r_1t1_vi__&kw=endurance warranty&ad=264773997041&matchtype=e&adposition=1t1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvNCKps6J4QIVC4NpCh3HjQ2VEAAYASAAEgKpPvD_BwE

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
i am interested if you find something useful.

an 86 friend with a fidelity warranty bought at time of purchase had good things to say - note that their website doesn't appear to have any contact for quote kind of functionality. so, my question is, can you actually buy one at this point?

i was looking at a warranty for my brz (already out of warranty) simply for the peace of mind on track, because i'm tracking the fuck all out of it. i wouldn't even try to use it for most stuff, i actually just wanted it in the case of catastrophic engine failure. however after the quotes and research i did, i came away concluding all 3rd party aftermarket warranties are total shit. that your best case scenario might be getting something covered with a nightmarish amount of time and effort involved, but that scenario didn't even seem that likely; it just seemed like you were going to get fucked fucked and more fucked.

i'm skeptical you will come to a different conclusion but am certainly interested if you find something promising.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
Ive had good luck (on the service writer side) with Fidelity and (believe it or not) a warranty called FORD ESP.

Ive dealt with probably over 30 warranty companies....

MOST dont do shit for you... or they will cover $80/hr where you have to pay the rest... etc.

Anything you get (brochure) or whatnot.. id be glad to look it over for you to see the fine print, Rick.
Thanks. Appreciate it!

Dan00Hawk

Reaction score
What if instead of putting, for example, $3-5k towards the warranty, you put it in a mutual fund? If you end up with a reliable car, you get to keep all of the money plus the rate of return. If you have some problems, you still have money available to put towards repairs without the potential hassle of a warranty company denying your claim or being troublesome. With the warranty, you would be "hoping" you have problems that would exceed what the warranty cost you.

I think it depends on how you expect the reliability of your vehicle to be based on how you use it and the experience of others with higher mileage examples, and how long you expect to keep the vehicle.

Just another option to consider.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
What if instead of putting, for example, $3-5k towards the warranty, you put it in a mutual fund? If you end up with a reliable car, you get to keep all of the money plus the rate of return. If you have some problems, you still have money available to put towards repairs without the potential hassle of a warranty company denying your claim or being troublesome. With the warranty, you would be "hoping" you have problems that would exceed what the warranty cost you.

I think it depends on how you expect the reliability of your vehicle to be based on how you use it and the experience of others with higher mileage examples, and how long you expect to keep the vehicle.

Just another option to consider.
Risk vs reward. 3k in a mutual fund isn't going to help a ton, but 3k towards a warranty could save me 20k down the road. For a normal car, I wouldn't consider an aftermarket warranty, but based on how much repairs to the motor or transmission could be on this thing, I'll take the safe route.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
They are fine but a ton of money.
how much is the bmw one? what is a comparable 3rd party one and have you found a company actually willing to sell you one that doesn't look like a complete pile of shit?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
Reaction score
how much is the bmw one? what is a comparable 3rd party one and have you found a company actually willing to sell you one that doesn't look like a complete pile of shit?
I still have to do all that research, but it seems like the BMW guys typically go with a 3rd party warranty rather than the factory extended one.

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
You can be like [MENTION=409]blowerinabox[/MENTION] and trade your twin turbo 4.0 X5 in for a VW Atlas when the bmw warranty is about to expire :mamoru: #isheoutthere :io:

Z28Camaro

Reaction score
If you are looking for a bumper to bumper style warranty then you are probably looking for an exclusionary type warranty.

I had good luck with Fidelity Platinum in the past on my wife's E63.

Aircal

Reaction score
Way back in ancient times when this was a Grand Prix one of the sponsors was Warranty Gold. A good amount of members purchased it. I actually got my money's worth. But then we all received letters saying they where going bankrupt. I think even 10 years later was still In court. Haven't seen a letter in several years and sure not got a refund.
That being said I love extended warranties on cars as I keep my vehicles a real long time. I work with extended warranties but only have a little history outside of the ones we carry at work Route 66 warranty didn't seem to bad and you can choose the level of coverage you want. Even batteries and light bulbs.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a bumper to bumper style warranty then you are probably looking for an exclusionary type warranty.

I had good luck with Fidelity Platinum in the past on my wife's E63.

Exclusionary, while typically the top tier, also makes understanding what’s covered, and not, much more transparent. It basically only lists what isn’t covered, rather than what is with an asterisk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom