Aftermarket Warranties, how do I do this?

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Ive had good luck (on the service writer side) with Fidelity and (believe it or not) a warranty called FORD ESP.

Ive dealt with probably over 30 warranty companies....

MOST dont do shit for you... or they will cover $80/hr where you have to pay the rest... etc.

Anything you get (brochure) or whatnot.. id be glad to look it over for you to see the fine print, Rick.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i am interested if you find something useful.

an 86 friend with a fidelity warranty bought at time of purchase had good things to say - note that their website doesn't appear to have any contact for quote kind of functionality. so, my question is, can you actually buy one at this point?

i was looking at a warranty for my brz (already out of warranty) simply for the peace of mind on track, because i'm tracking the fuck all out of it. i wouldn't even try to use it for most stuff, i actually just wanted it in the case of catastrophic engine failure. however after the quotes and research i did, i came away concluding all 3rd party aftermarket warranties are total shit. that your best case scenario might be getting something covered with a nightmarish amount of time and effort involved, but that scenario didn't even seem that likely; it just seemed like you were going to get fucked fucked and more fucked.

i'm skeptical you will come to a different conclusion but am certainly interested if you find something promising.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Ive had good luck (on the service writer side) with Fidelity and (believe it or not) a warranty called FORD ESP.

Ive dealt with probably over 30 warranty companies....

MOST dont do shit for you... or they will cover $80/hr where you have to pay the rest... etc.

Anything you get (brochure) or whatnot.. id be glad to look it over for you to see the fine print, Rick.

Thanks. Appreciate it!

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
What if instead of putting, for example, $3-5k towards the warranty, you put it in a mutual fund? If you end up with a reliable car, you get to keep all of the money plus the rate of return. If you have some problems, you still have money available to put towards repairs without the potential hassle of a warranty company denying your claim or being troublesome. With the warranty, you would be "hoping" you have problems that would exceed what the warranty cost you.

I think it depends on how you expect the reliability of your vehicle to be based on how you use it and the experience of others with higher mileage examples, and how long you expect to keep the vehicle.

Just another option to consider.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
What if instead of putting, for example, $3-5k towards the warranty, you put it in a mutual fund? If you end up with a reliable car, you get to keep all of the money plus the rate of return. If you have some problems, you still have money available to put towards repairs without the potential hassle of a warranty company denying your claim or being troublesome. With the warranty, you would be "hoping" you have problems that would exceed what the warranty cost you.

I think it depends on how you expect the reliability of your vehicle to be based on how you use it and the experience of others with higher mileage examples, and how long you expect to keep the vehicle.

Just another option to consider.

Risk vs reward. 3k in a mutual fund isn't going to help a ton, but 3k towards a warranty could save me 20k down the road. For a normal car, I wouldn't consider an aftermarket warranty, but based on how much repairs to the motor or transmission could be on this thing, I'll take the safe route.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Way back in ancient times when this was a Grand Prix one of the sponsors was Warranty Gold. A good amount of members purchased it. I actually got my money's worth. But then we all received letters saying they where going bankrupt. I think even 10 years later was still In court. Haven't seen a letter in several years and sure not got a refund.
That being said I love extended warranties on cars as I keep my vehicles a real long time. I work with extended warranties but only have a little history outside of the ones we carry at work Route 66 warranty didn't seem to bad and you can choose the level of coverage you want. Even batteries and light bulbs.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
If you are looking for a bumper to bumper style warranty then you are probably looking for an exclusionary type warranty.

I had good luck with Fidelity Platinum in the past on my wife's E63.

Exclusionary, while typically the top tier, also makes understanding what’s covered, and not, much more transparent. It basically only lists what isn’t covered, rather than what is with an asterisk.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info