đź’¬ OT 3D printers...who has one?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
already burnt up the fan on the right side of the hot end. Wee!

Guess it’s time to upgrade some parts for this thing if I’m going to buy on Amazon.
Oh wow. Usually they last longer then that :LOL:

Personally I think amazon fans are junk and go through digikey or a supplier and get genuine sunon maglev fans. Super quiet and will last forever hopefully.

4010 is the stock size. I am running a 4020 for my cooling fan and most eventually upgrade to a blower type 5015

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
going from 2 4010 to a single 5015 squirrel wheel was a helluva improvment in airflow on the Nereus/Hemera

the 4010s work ok withthe open discharge like most "box" enclosed hotends but when your ducting it through a nozzle assembly they dont like any flow restriction.

20220206_143041.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
itll go like this.....
Month 1-3
"why do you spend so much time fixing and working on that printer?" " Do you NEED to upgrade it?" "Why are you printing that stupid shit?"

Month 3-6
"You fixed that by printing?" "Oh that can be pretty useful."

Month 6+
"Can you print me this?" "Can you fix this"

Then itll collect dust for a bit.

12+ months
"Are you going to use that thing again?"

:rofl:

repeat when you buy printer #2

This is obligatory at this point
1641596241166.png

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Officially spent more time troubleshooting than printing now.

Printer has been absolutely FUCKED since installing the CR touch.

Intermittently freezes and stops printing, won’t hold a z offset in memory, decides it doesn’t want to extrude at random times, doesn’t recognize an SD card better than 50% of the time.

I’m about two hours away from burying this thing under my work bench and being done with it forever.

• Haha
Reactions: wombat

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Before you do anything go on to the creality support forums and do some simple searches Most of the time just a quick post will have someone pointing you in the right way to an answer or a work way to update your firmware.

The 3D printing Community is about as close as it gets to the automotive community

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Firmware for sure. Stock marlin on those is junk. Also you need to run a m500 command after changes to save them to memory otherwise it gets wiped on reboot.

Also ditch the SD card and setup octoprint. If you aren't using a webcam, a $10 raspberry pi zero will work. It gives you a webpage interface and no more SD card. The SD card they give you is TRASH and WILL die sooner then later.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I would recommend staying with the creality branch of marlin as it should be more Plug and Play for you although if you really want to expand capabilities you can break out into the far more advanced Marlin tree

Sd cards are iffy on all of the cheaper boards. That's why we prefer the duet ethernet boards. The monster with a rpi4 as masterblaster for the duet2 Ethernet.

Although just recently we bought a duet 2 Wi-Fi for the third "big" machine we will probably sell as people have inquired about our large format machines.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I would recommend staying with the creality branch of marlin as it should be more Plug and Play for you although if you really want to expand capabilities you can break out into the far more advanced Marlin tree

Sd cards are iffy on all of the cheaper boards. That's why we prefer the duet ethernet boards. The monster with a rpi4 as masterblaster for the duet2 Ethernet.

Although just recently we bought a duet 2 Wi-Fi for the third "big" machine we will probably sell as people have inquired about our large format machines.
Oh thats nice.

I ended up using a rpi4 with a poe to 5v converter. So its powered via Ethernet and has a wired connection.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I put the SKR board in yesterday. Not a bad install on the Sovol, the later ones have 2 X axis ports. They must use a different motor on an Ender3 for the Extruder though because I had to flip my wires around so that it ran the correct direction. I also don't have my filament switch nor the under chassis fan hooked up. I guess that's next. Although it definitely needs a calibration it heats up without puking out. Not sure wtf is up with my Creality Board. After I pulled it out I got it to flash a bootloader without any drama either which is also kind of annoying since I'd have probably gone that route. Doesn't really matter though I have a little printer that probably needs a board or I'll swap the Melzi out on my Tronxy instead. I've gotta get Marlin 2.0 to build first though, I'm having some problems with it at the moment.

The motors are insanely quiet compared to the stock board, it's nice. There's a bunch of new features too I need to poke around with as well.

Also something strange is I didn't see any way to set the stepper current on the SKR board.
Fuck me I can't believe it has been June of 2021 since this printer really ran.

I had a nightmare experience trying to get code compiled using vs code. For some reason I had to create a new windows user and it just magically worked. I can't figure out what is cached that is retaining settings and it is making me a bit crazy.

Besides that I had to clean out the pig tail coiled filament in the extruder, fix the wires I reversed and it seems pretty okay. I did have a reboot trying to get the bed to 110c. I think I want a FET board and possibly. A secondary PSU for this, something nearer 30-36v tomake things go better. Or just go 110 and be done with it.

IMG_20220307_223948325.jpg

just had the first print wrap up not spectacular but good. the enclosure got to 29.2c in a 65f room. My Homebrew stuff is gone I think this was worth it.

Besides that this printer is super quiet now. I could have it running while I work and do conf calls.

I still have the tronxy on a shelf tempted to grab it and do some stuff then I would have a fleet of 3.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
wife is gone for the day and I had some brittle pla. I stuck it in the oven at 170 to "anneal." after that decided to hit the petg I have.

Much better experience than the toaster oven at 180, I think it had hot spots and poor temperature regulation.

Will it fix my PLA? who knows it is trash otherwise.

IMG_20220309_165037298.jpg

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Officially spent more time troubleshooting than printing now.

Printer has been absolutely FUCKED since installing the CR touch.

Intermittently freezes and stops printing, won’t hold a z offset in memory, decides it doesn’t want to extrude at random times, doesn’t recognize an SD card better than 50% of the time.

I’m about two hours away from burying this thing under my work bench and being done with it forever.
Got my junk fixed a day or so after this and printing like a dream. Loving the garolite build plate.

I printed the parts for a direct drive extruder setup this last week and got it installed last night. Haven’t tried pushing too much for speed yet but knocked out a calibration cube in 17min with 20% infill and no degradation in quality.

I’m going to start messing with some other materials than PLA.

Reactions: Fish

Thread Info