đź’¬ OT 3D printers...who has one?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Is the roll older or newer manufacturing wise? I had some crazy issues on a brand new roll of ABS before, noticed the sticker lettering was slightly different, and production serial number was pretty far behind. Was just a bad roll of filament, i'm assuming it was just really old, but i wasn't jamming up. I had obviously print abnormalities, looked horrible. Hatchbox has worked well for me, cheaper and printed at slightly lower temps then the Makerbot i use. I just preferred the look of the Makerbot, as it had a different sheen on the finished parts. Now that i acetone treat everything though, kinda doesn't matter anymore lol. A lot of my jams and print failures were fixed with a Micro Swiss nozzle, something i battled for a long time.

No clue about newer or older honestly. I bought it retail not online a few days back. If there's a way to tell I can look but I don't know otherwise.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Bossa is probably what yer looking for you going to reprap firmware 3.01 or higher i recomend the bossa method, its a huge pita to update from 2.03/ etc to the 3.01+

i know the duet2/3 stuff is a little different in area's from the makebase type boards, but their dozuki guide has lots of good info for you folks to read and edjumakate yerselves while on the shitter.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
making the kid a large, rainbow filament Pikachu. 30+ hours should be interesting to see how it goes. IMG_20210203_145828739.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Wanting to say I did 25%ish for some reason. The overall print is at something just shy of 200 grams. What's interesting is that bumping the infill up didn't make a shitton of difference in weight, well at least not as much as one would think. It's getting close now, probably after the kid's bed time though so he'll get to go see it tomorrow.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
That reminds me, anybody use any rainbow pla that changes colors quick? Most reviews say they’re really spread out so unless it’s some huge print it’s only 1-2 colors (like the esun stuff)
You have the find the ones that are marketed as quick transition, but I agree, most are as you described

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah probably thermister, dont forget a heater PID learn sequence afterwards.

in regards to the ear melting, when you have a model with towers,l make sure you set a minimum layer time, the head will feed slower to make sure that each layer takes long enough for the plastic to cool properly before the next layer of hot plastic is deposited.

you can set it to feed normal and just z hop pause till the timer is reached and the next layer starts, but ive found that can lead to drips n voids as the new klayer starts, i prefer the slower feed rate method to make a minimum layer time. also uneven parts cooling airflow can play havok with coolaing of tower formations.

search rapid shift, fast shift in the filament names. i loved the slow shift of the Eryone lagoon shift

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
people over tighten the setscrew style thermister pills all the time, i dont like how some of the cheapo all metal hotends secure their thermisters...shoving it into a blind hole and jamming a bolt down onto the wires to hold it into place doesnt make me happy.

thermisters and heater pills should be trated as though they are consumables just like nozzles

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Going to work on my enclosure some this weekend time permitting. I am going to pull the integral spool holder off then add a roller bearing setup for my spool as below with a pass through into the enclosure. I also want to close a bunch of gaps and see what happens. I am at about 31c with out a bulb and 35 with. ABS is something like 50 or 55 optimized build chamber? I may add foam to the outside or something as well.

I have a bunch of upgrades like an enclosure temperature sensor, bed springs, and a bltouch I may add. I bricked my tronxy however so I may get it going before the bltouch goes in since that is fw required. I may also bump my psu voltage as well.

IMG_20210218_231908525.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
That's a big girl. Gonna print some intake manifolds off?

Hey, what are you guys doing for controller boards these days? I think I bricked my TronXY's Melzi board. I know that RAMPS is what you're supposed to get then you're supposed to add some drivers etc. to it. What parts do I need for this magic to happen.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Ramps is old. You want the newer branches of the reprap stuffs.

And yes we are looking at printing intake ducts intake manifolds wheel-well liners you name it out of polycarbonate, ABS and carbon fiber reinforced ABS Plastics. The center console – instrument cluster and the door panels for the 442 will be made with the printers.

I'm even looking at stuff like the intercooler water tanks and using a vacuum process to impregnate them with resins to ensure completely leak free sealing

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Thread Info