đź’¬ OT 3D printers...who has one?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Well, got this biatch going. Finally. I don't have a display yet and one of the temp sensors isn't working (suspect I need to specify the bed sensor in the calibration) but I do have Marlin 1.1 on my Melzi board instead of Repetier .91 which doesn't have melt down protection. A few helpful hints along the way:
-Avoid the TinyUSB programmers like the plague. They're designed for small sized AVRs and therefore they don't work with even a lower capacity board like this Melzi. I will say the cable was useful. I have 2 now but I think there's components here that can be salvaged for a microprocessor project so I'm not altogether concerned.
-What did work was taking an Arduino Uno and making it into a programmer which is available via the sample sketches. I had the cable from the programmers which I was able to directly connect afterwards.
-The GUI errored out initially because of it not recognizing my printer board as a valid Arduino.
-I had to copy, paste and modify the command from the Arduino GUI to put the boot loader on the board. I ran it in the Windows Command Prompt with the -F flag. I had to go into the Ardunio directory to run the command its self, delete out the path that was explicitly listed for execution and add double quotes ("") around the path of the file I was flashing to it as the boot loader.
-After the boot loader was on the Melzi board it was simply a matter of plugging it in via USB, building code then flashing it up.

1613919130024.png

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
You ever done petg before? am tempted.
Yes, its stickier then pla. Usually i can use pla settings but about half speed. Also need to add a little bit more height, since its stickier, you need that little bit extra to let it laydown and stick to itself and not the nozzle.

It also loves absorbing moisture more then pla so have a dry box

Ive used inland and atomic brands. Atomic is much better quality and easier to print but also 10$ more a roll.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Drying out the inland made it so much easier to print their petg. I’d spend more if atomic is that much better though
Drying out the inland in a dry box for a while made a big difference. The first time was a nightmare.

With atomic I didnt need to dry it right out of the box and feel as though prints are more successful and less stringy.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I ended up buying the same glass blue and it’s cool. Printed a unicorn then promptly cut the horn off :rofl:

View attachment 82665
Yeah i agree. Ive only made a few tiny things.

I did some how get it to print with a silver sheen compared to my other blue print with the same filament

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
My picture is a bit darker than it looks IRL.

I’ll probably only use it for stuff my daughter wants.

Side note, I’ve never printed with white before, I dig it. It’ll be used for a lot of stuff around the house I think, looks better than black.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Last week I did some enclosure improvements and other mods.IMG_20210228_214555772.jpg

I doubled the size of my enclosure for the second printer, added a hinge set, eliminated the angles to hold it together and a few things I am probably forgetting.

IMG_20210228_214604661.jpg

My new heater is a 250w heat lamp. I may add a second depending on how my results look.

IMG_20210228_214424361.jpg

IMG_20210228_215054899.jpg
I changed the springs which is supposedly a common weakness on ender3 printers. This is heavily based so I figured why not. The old ones seem fine and will probably hit my tronxy since they are just generic springs.

IMG_20210228_215300364.jpg
I got the metal knobs with the springs, I think this is cosmetic at least until I try to crank the temperature.

I did the tape mod on my USB connector. I think I may have shorted my port out. I will do something else next time probably.

IMG_20210301_181041687.jpg

My test print came out well. I need to do some tweaks on the slicing.

IMG_20210301_115310737.jpg

heater+bed gets me over 40c. not bad, I may add heat and insulation but early tests show big gains over even 35c.

Thread Info